Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I just bought an XD-9 Tactical that I LOVE but can't seem to keep enough ammo on hand for all the shooting I want to do. I'm pretty limited in funds (in grad school) but was thinking that reloading might be the way to go since I'm trying to get into competitive shooting. I've seen a lot of positive comments about Dillon's presses, and know that I'd like a progressive, but don't know whether its too expensive. Anyone know where I might find used Dillon's for sale and what I might expect to pay for a good press and all the necessary extras??

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Ebay has press' all the time personally I ended up buying a new press from www.brianenos.com Square deal b fro $300.
And that a book,cailpers and powder scale is all you need to get started 8)

But it is close to a wash to reload 9mm if you buy bulk it is near the same money as reloading.I reload 40 cal right around 5/50 rounds.But once you get set up you will have tuned reliable ammo :shock:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been watching ebay, but by the time a press gets to its winning bid, the darn thing costs nearly as much as a new one! I'd like to buy one from Brian Enos (I've been spending alot of time on his site), but also thought someone on here might have one they were looking to sell.

Thanks for the advice. As for the costs of 9mm... I've heard that one can reload a box of 9mm shells for about 3.00. Now thats 6 for a 100 which Wally's charges 11.34 for a 100. I figure that paying half (for better quality ammo) would pay off pretty quick? Is that accurate as to what I could expect to pay for reloaded ammo?

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
Owning a 550 and now a LEE 1000, I wish I would have saved the money and just went with the LEE. Sure, Dillon has the name, however they both load ammo and LEE allows you to have some money left over to buy components. My $.02.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll take all the cents I can get! :D I looked at the Lee 1000 and also at the Hornady Lock N Load (if you've heard anything about that press?). I've heard good things about that one as well. Is the Lee as fast as the Dillon? Also, everyone talks about Dillon's customer service... what has been your experience with Lee, Old School?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Z-Man said:
I'll take all the cents I can get! :D I looked at the Lee 1000 and also at the Hornady Lock N Load (if you've heard anything about that press?). I've heard good things about that one as well. Is the Lee as fast as the Dillon? Also, everyone talks about Dillon's customer service... what has been your experience with Lee, Old School?
LOOK at Caballes on line lee pro for dirt :shock:

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Z-Man said:
I've been watching ebay, but by the time a press gets to its winning bid, the darn thing costs nearly as much as a new one! I'd like to buy one from Brian Enos (I've been spending alot of time on his site), but also thought someone on here might have one they were looking to sell.

Thanks for the advice. As for the costs of 9mm... I've heard that one can reload a box of 9mm shells for about 3.00. Now thats 6 for a 100 which Wally's charges 11.34 for a 100. I figure that paying half (for better quality ammo) would pay off pretty quick? Is that accurate as to what I could expect to pay for reloaded ammo?
I've been watching ebay, but by the time a press gets to its winning bid, the darn thing costs nearly as much as a new one!
I noticed this myself. Add in shipping and you could have bought a new one.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
You have to be real careful but I have seen SDB Dillons go for under 200 shipped and they are 300 new.
But allot of Dillon stuff goes for more than new just proves how good it is .
I have been considering buying a pile of stuff just to profiet off it :shock:

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
nope... I've been dreaming of them for a while now.

So you think the Lee is pretty sweet? how easy is it to change calibers? Are you going to have to reset all your dimensions before you can do a run of a different caliber?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
Yes. If you can pull the lever you can load ammo. I am not allowed to set mine up until 12/25 (ask my wife why), however I have tried my buddies and I really like it. I also bought the bullet feeder and large capacity case feeder. All I need to do is load the tubes and pull the lever. It can be easier than that! :)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Ok, not wanting to start a Dillon vs. everything else...my 2 cents>

Buy a Dillon...If something breaks...they send you a new part , free......

A 550 while initially a big investment will last a lifetime... If it breaks down, send it to Dillon and they will upgrade and fix it ......free....

I've owned 2 lees, Pro 1000 and one of the smaller presses.....i've never ever had so many problems, and small little parts that break, or shell plate problems......

I have a friend who has redding presses, and another that has an RCBS...both are good and seem to be more reliable than the lee..

I have 2 dillons, 550 and 650. I've only had minor issues with them and those were related to inexperience and on that required some cleaning as a spent primer went into some mysterious location... other than that...100%

I know before a match coming up, that i can load 1000 rounds and not have a major FUBAR that used to happen with my Lee's all the time... Go figure this, you buy a lee press cheaper on midway than you can on lee's site....

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
All are valid points. In the end, I believe it comes down to the reloading volumes. I reload about 10k (9mm) rounds per year on my 550. I expect to reload about 2k (45ACP) per year on my LEE 1000.

If you do large annual volumes, go with the Dillon. If you are a casual reloader, like most, the LEE is fine. Again, my $.02.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
mullanman said:
Ok, not wanting to start a Dillon vs. everything else...my 2 cents>

Buy a Dillon...If something breaks...they send you a new part , free......

A 550 while initially a big investment will last a lifetime... If it breaks down, send it to Dillon and they will upgrade and fix it ......free....

I've owned 2 lees, Pro 1000 and one of the smaller presses.....i've never ever had so many problems, and small little parts that break, or shell plate problems......

I have a friend who has redding presses, and another that has an RCBS...both are good and seem to be more reliable than the lee..

I have 2 dillons, 550 and 650. I've only had minor issues with them and those were related to inexperience and on that required some cleaning as a spent primer went into some mysterious location... other than that...100%

I know before a match coming up, that i can load 1000 rounds and not have a major FUBAR that used to happen with my Lee's all the time... Go figure this, you buy a lee press cheaper on midway than you can on lee's site....
Good point mullanman, if I was as deeply into shooting as you I would get the absolute best. But since I don't shoot competitively I'm only interested in saving on ammo costs. I'm retired and I just like to go to the range target shoot for fun.

Tom

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Their dies aren't round. I had more problems chambering rounds than I could stand. Like 50% of them were hard to chamber. Finally went out and bought a good full length die.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Old School said:
All are valid points. In the end, I believe it comes down to the reloading volumes. I reload about 10k (9mm) rounds per year on my 550. I expect to reload about 2k (45ACP) per year on my LEE 1000.

If you do large annual volumes, go with the Dillon. If you are a casual reloader, like most, the LEE is fine. Again, my $.02.
I'll agree with this. I have loaded in excess of 30,000 rounds/year for the past 5 years. The Lee lasted about 2000 rounds, it has set unused for several years except to load 10mm. Everything else gets loaded on the Dillon 650: 9mm, .38 and .357, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 400 Corbon. I load my 44 Mag on a single stage, but I don't load more than 2-300 per year, max.
I've not used the Hornady press, but it does look substantial. No idea about the RCBS progressive.

I recommend Dillon, they have the best loading presses and the best calendars in the business!

·
Registered
889 Posts
I started on a single stage press, what a pain, but I did learn how to load ammo the right way. Then I bought a Lee Turet press and things got a little faster, then came the Lee 1000, and I thought "man I wasted alot of time with the other presses". I finely took the plunge and got a Dillon 650 with the case feeder, and then realized how much time I did waste on the other presses.
So my advice would be if all you can come up with enough cash to get the Lee 1000 get it and load as much as you can, but start saving for a Dillon, and when the Lee wares out, and it will, them buy a Dillon, you wont be sorry you did. Their stuff dosen't ware out very often, and if it does or something breaks try fix it no questions asked.
There now you have my .02 cents also.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts