Springfield XD Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
When I bought my first XDM, I rented several flavors of range guns and ran a box through each. The Glock was the only one that had problems and I shot the XDM the best. I have put a couple thousand rounds through the XDM and the only trouble is the mag that I keep in the gun (all the way full all the time) occasionally doesn't lock the slide back after the last shot. I figure if you don't beat the crap out of either gun, they will be equally reliable. Shoot what you like. If you are the type that likes to mod, then Glock is like the Iphone in that there are more options from more companies. XD is like Android; you can find stuff, but not as plentiful.

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
glock is more reliable period. but xdm offers some advantages like grip safety.
Let's not forget that some debate the grip safety as a disadvantage, to varying degree/intensity.

As to the reliability of double-stack Glocks, I think that a lot of that has to do with the incredible amount of end-user-level service/maintenance knowledge that exists in the community.

Particularly when framed against the double-stack XD/XDm platform, there exists for their Glock counterparts a rather well-known and accepted service interval for wear components. For the XD/XDm double-stackers, any time someone posts up about documented long-term usage and proactive maintenance, the community basically has little to offer beyond the few anecdotal bits from just a few individuals. For example, it took me two full days' worth of combing through the archives of the Brian Enos Forums to come up with a decent reference list (Springfield xdm 9mm mags), and aside from those few examples, the few threads here (of which I've been involved in just about every one for what will be going on 10 years come this November), and maybe a bare handful on TheArmoryLife ( i.e. Strayer’s 40K “Blue Flame” ) - there's really very few resources/references available for those who truly accumulate a lot of mileage on their XD/XDms.

A lack of that level of mechanical knowledge simply means that we're mostly left up to ourselves to, in many cases, encounter breakage in-situ - maybe we're shooting a match or in a training class when it happens - whereas if we knew better what the expected service life of certain components in our guns are, we could have gotten ahead of such issues.

Personally, it's my belief that this lack of knowledge-base may be the main contributor to the high incidence of breakage/malfunctions that various noted instructors report of the XD/XDm in their training classes, particularly those at the novice/beginner level (where a generalized lack of knowledge with firearms leads to common mistakes).

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
well my beginner mistake was thinking lubing an xdm was a good idea. glocks run wet or dry. xdm cant handle lubed pin channel and that could equate to bad times in an over the beach out of the drink i would bet. that i unreliability in my world.

still for me ergos and added level of safety holstering are benefits in springfields line over glock.

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
well my beginner mistake was thinking lubing an xdm was a good idea. glocks run wet or dry. xdm cant handle lubed pin channel and that could equate to bad times in an over the beach out of the drink i would bet. that i unreliability in my world.
I think there's more to the lube-in-striker-channel scenario than just the presence/absence of lubricant, based on two reasons:

(1) Some competition shooters favor a light film of lube in this area, and report no issues with this kind of use (those old BE threads really surprised me, in this respect, but it was something that I'd read consistently enough there to have taken notice).
(2) Wet usage (as in soaking rain/downpour) has not been a commonly reported issue with double-stack XD/XDm.

Of the two, I've only really had the pleasure (or misfortune :ROFLMAO:) of experiencing the latter. It's not an out-of-the-beach scenario, by-far, but I suppose we were wet enough that we might as well have been dunked in the drink.....

Even Glocks have issues with lubricant in the striker channel....and heck, there's always the Maritime Spring Cup that's a mod that many Glock users gravitate towards at the beginning of their upgrade path. ;)

Looking back in my pictures file, I don't have one of the night (my first low-light class! so it was memorable in so many ways!) where we took shelter only when the thunderstorm passed over us (I did post about it a few times, though, including old worn gun belt? and Washing your gun ...) - but I do have a shot of me actually in a rain slicker shooting my 3.8 Compact from a couple of years ago ---->

March 2017 Handgun2.jpg

I don't usually break out the rain gear (there's also a picture of me in that same class from some other time that day, and I wasn't in rain-gear) unless it's pretty darned wet (my footwear is telling, too - that's the junky waterproof pair that I wear 3-seasons to classes when it's predicted to get nasty out): typical NE-Ohio spring-time hit-and-run, overflow-the-storm-drains and drown-the-puppies rainstorm.😅

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
I thought any lube in the striker channel was a BIG no no....no matter the brand? Don't have a glock manual in front of me but pretty sure they don't specify to lube the striker channel. Water in the channel....never done it but don't see how that would be an issue. IDK, everyone likes what they like.

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
Lube in the striker channel has always been hotly debated - and you're right, it's across many different platforms.

I think that there's more at play than simply whether there is lube: that there's also considerations of type of lubricant, just how dirty the channel/parts are, as well as the amount of lube present. The driving reason for my thinking this way is that for these same platforms, if you dig back far enough in the archives of their respective Forum communities, there was a time when lubrication of these areas was something that many high-volume shooters actually preferred and practiced.

Personally, my practice has always been modern convention - keeping the channel and its components free of lubrication. The few times that I have had issues, I've always noticed that it wasn't just that there was lubricant in that area (most likely due to seepage), but that there was also significant fouling as well. Towards that end of the equation, insufficient lubrication combined with sufficient dirt/debris is detrimental to just about every mechanical system, and that includes the slide of a reciprocating-slide autoloading pistol itself, and just about every shooter has likely seen just how much their slide can slow or even bind, under such circumstances.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
I think that this is in large part a by-product of relative stagnation in the product line, combined with relative lack of aftermarket support,
That's almost verbatim what I was going to reply.
The XD lines are shooters, period.
Not much accessorizing or dressing up to do.

It's like joining a Crescent wrench forum...

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
:ROFLMAO:

I'm in the Missing 10mm Socket Support Group.
The 10 and the 15 are wandering little boogers. I probably have more 10 and 15mm sockets rolling around inside various frame rails than most people will own in a lifetime

21 - 33 of 33 Posts