Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glock has a reputation for reliability and longevity. They're also known for being robust in that they can be dropped run over, thrown, etc, and still work. How do the XD and XD(m) series compare in these regards?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
You will still be shooting your XD after the glock is worn out and needs a bunch of new parts that they market to keep them running by replacing every moving part on it. XD's have a reputation for running for 10,000 rounds and longer.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I can only speak of my own experience. I’ve had an XD-m 4.5” 45 ACP and currently have an XD45 and XD9 Service models. I’ve shot at least 6k combined thru them of various ammo. Only had issues with too much CLP clogging the striker channel of my XD 45 and a weak mag spring with my XD-m 4.5”. Both were easily diagnosed and were no longer issues once rectified. No other malfunctions. At all. Ever.

The wife’s Gen 4 G19 was great with FMJ but a jam o matic when it came to JHP. Couldn’t get Gold Dots to function reliably. That pretty much turned it into a no-go pistol for us.

From a subjective feel standpoint, the XD line just feels more substantial. I can’t bend the grip at all on it. The Glock on the other hand, you can feel it give just a smidgen.

From a shooting point of view, I can get on target and stay on target much easier in the XD than I could with the Glock. Although the trigger feels worse when dry firing, the XD seems to be easier to manage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...The wife’s Gen 4 G19 was great with FMJ but a jam o matic when it came to JHP. Couldn’t get Gold Dots to function reliably. That pretty much turned it into a no-go pistol for us...
I think they had some issues with the Gen 4. If you call them, they will probably send you an updated recoil guide rod and spring(s).

·
Registered
298 Posts
I think they had some issues with the Gen 4. If you call them, they will probably send you an updated recoil guide rod and spring(s).
That G19 is long gone. Even if it didn’t jam, the fact that neither of us could shoot consistently with it was always a glaring problem. Wasn’t much of an issue with either the XD or 1911.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
You will still be shooting your XD after the glock is worn out and needs a bunch of new parts that they market to keep them running by replacing every moving part on it. XD's have a reputation for running for 10,000 rounds and longer.
If ignorance is bliss, you must keep a perpetual case of the giggles.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I own 18 Glocks and 3 XD's and other various polymer brands. I won't bash either Glock or Springfield. My XD's are one of the first 1000 "lettered" 45's, an early bi-tone service 9mm and an all blue early XD sc 9mm which has a well worn finish. All were bought new. The sc 9mm has never had a rust issue because of I believe of a treatment I gave it years ago with a product that sponsored XD Talk years ago.... Blue Armadillo. I still have some of that product in my cleaning stuff. Anyway, the worst polymer I own is a Ruger SR45. It's a light strike nightmare. Totally unreliable POS.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Anyway, the worst polymer I own is a Ruger SR45. It's a light strike nightmare. Totally unreliable POS.
That's odd. Usually the SR series is very reliable. I have a SR9c with over 10k rounds thru it and its been 100% from day 1. Have you ever contacted Ruger about it?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I had a VERY used Glock 23 that I bought .... as the saying goes, it was ridden hard and put away wet..... I had all sorts of problems with it, that I mostly fixed with upgrades. Never worked well for me. Won't bash glocks because of my particular experience with the 23.

After thousands of rounds through my XDM's, (and M&P9c) and Kahrs (which have a couple of weird quirks)..... I will say that right now is a great time to be a gun owner. Once I got the glitches out of the Kahr's they have been reliable. The XDM's and M&P9c have had ZERO failures of any sort that were not instructor induced (failure drills). And, yes, I trust my life to any of them.

Even though I am not a huge Glock fan due to the 23 experience, I did pick up a 42, and that little .380 is a very nice, soft, accurate shooter. That one has been a reliable as well.

·
Registered
29,541 Posts
yeah...there’s gen 1 G17’s out there with over 100,000 rounds through 'em (verified). I do believe the late trainer Chuck Taylor had one of them...the only parts replaced were the recoil springs (maybe).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wow! Helpful information. Pity those informative and I agree icons were completely deleted.

Can anyone else chime in about the durability of their XDs? Particularly want to hear about the Subcompacts. Thanks!

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
If reliability and longevity are your measurement there's no way to say an XD is superior. The widespread use of Glock's in militaries and LE along with the simplicity of the design and ease to repair and replace parts put Glock well ahead of other competitors. Ever completely take apart an XD? A Glock? No comparison, the Glock is vastly simpler with fewer parts. And the Glock doesn't come with a built in roll pin that needs replacing and hasn't had recalls like XD pistols have.

You don't have to be a Glock fan, and while I own several I'm not and I like the XD line plenty, but Glocks didn't get their reputation by accident. Maybe an HK USP lasts longer but it's a short list of guns that do.

Regardless, none of us are likely to "shoot out" either gun so buy what you want.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
@delton - I think that this is a question that many newcomers to the XD/XDm platform have, and I hope these old threads, in-particular, can give you some satisfaction:

Springfield XD=McRib???
XD performance during training classes

And you can trace my personal journey with two out of my four XDms here:

"New" XDm9 from Cleveland - POA/POI &amp...
~1300 rounds in, XDm9 3.8 Compact - lessons learned from...

That range/training 4.5-inch is now somewhere around 55,000 live-fire rounds. I don't even know the number of times it's been dry-fired.

The range/training XDm9 3.8 Compact is currently sitting at right around 25,000 rounds live-fire, and at least twice that more, dry. The copy of it that I EDC is currently somewhere around 14,000 rounds live-fire.

Specifically with regard to your question about the smaller framed XD/XDms, @gunbuster , I honestly haven't noticed anything markedly different between my 4.5-inch versus the 3.8 Compacts. The main wear item would likely be the recoil spring, and it's always been the advice of SA to simply be mindful of the ejection pattern of the gun, and to replace as-necessary. What I've seen in-the-wild is that the smaller guns do "beat" on themselves harder, and there were early .40 S&W as well as 9x19 XD Sub-Compacts which showed everything from locking block to barrel lug failures and cracks (remedied by SA). And as-expected, more frequent lubrication schedules with the smaller guns will also help their operation, particularly in harsh conditions (I addressed this in the Costa Ludus HE01/02 thread).

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Usually don't respond as it's like do you like chocolate or vanilla. I have never owned a glock until about three years ago. Nor an xdm until about 5 years ago. Thought both were ugly and had high bore axis. I won the xdm 5.25 in 9mm at a match. Figured I'd shoot it and if I didn't like it I'd sell it. It's accurate with most ammo I feed it and it feeds everything reliably. Now I bought a model 34 glock 3years ago to compete in glock matches as there are several around. Was accurate with certain loads but unreliable with hollow points and sometimes even round points very picky and frustrating during matches. I sold it and bought and 4th generation 17. Still picky on ammo and with accuracy. Built a slide with optic for the same gun with aftermarket barrel more accuracy across the board with different ammo. I prefer the xdm to the glock for reliability. My opinion is only based on small selection. Ymmv.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't know why, but from being on quite a few different forums, Springfield Armory really gets zero attention, ZERO. Even on this site, active posts are rarely ever about the actual guns....XDs, XDMs, etc.

Never had one issue with my XDM 4.5" 45 ACP. It's a great handgun, eats everything, accurate as hell. Personally, the XDM grip soooooo much beats a glock (I own glocks as well). But still, SA just seems to be an 'also ran'.

I don't put glock as the 'standard' so won't say SA is better, or worse.

SA screwed the pooch a few years ago with their 'anti 2A' issue. I would think they'd do well to spend a boat ton of money on some new marketing and get more folks engaged in their product. YMMV, of course.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
Even on this site, active posts are rarely ever about the actual guns....XDs, XDMs, etc.
I think that this is in large part a by-product of relative stagnation in the product line, combined with relative lack of aftermarket support, combined with an insufficient population of competitive and otherswise "serious" shooters within the ownership demographic.

Without innovation, there's little to attract new discussions. We've seen a surge in interest every time a new platform or even new model comes out, the latter even when it's little more than cosmetic changes.

Without aftermarket support, that initial burst of enthusiasm is nearly impossible to sustain. Whether it is to discuss the technical merits or problems of any particular modification or to simply ogle at the latest Instagram hotness, if that kind of continued renewal isn't supported, there's really little to keep those who are only occasional recreational shooters or collectors actively engaged.

Without a good population of those who truly employ the gun in a routine manner - whether that's for any level of competition or to take training classes - folks who put a serious number of rounds on their gun on a yearly, if not monthly or even weekly basis and whose use actually stresses the shooter/gun (i.e. while a more diligent hobbyist may shoot his/her firearm a few hundred rounds a week at the range, the simple fact that it's a "sterile" condition with low stress to the weapon as well as to the shooter will simply translate to less faults from both the gun and its operator), there's little to drive discussion in terms of what may go wrong as well as how to remedy such issues and concerns.

SA screwed the pooch a few years ago with their 'anti 2A' issue. I would think they'd do well to spend a boat ton of money on some new marketing and get more folks engaged in their product.
Agreed.

Albeit that I think that they do spend - but maybe not in the right way? In-particular, I think that in some cases in the past, what they've advertised - the image that they portray - failed to manifest, and led to disillusioned/disappointed consumers.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts