Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got on the subject of trace mineral diet deficiencies, and Dad was talking how locally, there is no selenium in the soil. The lack of selenium in the diet can cause problems. It isn't a problem for us now because most produce in the country is grown in California, where there is plenty of selenium in the soil, but cows that obviously eat local grown vegetation must be given supplements or there can be problems with calves and probably other problems as well. It got me thinking, just a bunch of seeds and all the venison I can shoot wouldn't be enough if trade was to be shut down for an extended period. The lack of Selenium could be somewhat of a problem here. Obviously it is possible to live without, because there were people here before there was a transcontinental grocery trade, but adding it a bit of extra lethargy or something could easily be the feather that broke the camel's back if things get real bad. I imagine other areas have other trace mineral deficiencies.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Wouldn't a 1 a Day multi-vitamin take care of this issue??

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I'm thinking one needs to look at the bigger picture. Did cavemen take vitamins and supplements? Did the native Americans or colonists? Medicine has advanced greatly since then and simple things such as washing ones hands before surgery is a known item. We know (or many know) that good oral hygiene is of great importance and before anyone says toothpaste wouldn't be available, there are other means of maintaining good oral hygiene. Same for other items deemed necessary for good health.

In a SHTF, we would resort back to our roots where we live off of local vegetation and animals. Whether that's ideal or not is up for debate, but native American's lived until an elder age so I'm thinking it's a non-issue. If anything, as much as everything is processed now-a-days, I would think a natural veggy, meat and water diet would be good. It's what our bodies were designed/evolved to take in.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
You can add selenium to soil, but i'd have my soil tested before i did that. Brazil nuts are high in Selenium also. theres always fish, wheat, oatmeal, and brown rice which all have higher levels of selenium also.

·
Registered
19,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking one needs to look at the bigger picture. Did cavemen take vitamins and supplements? Did the native Americans or colonists? Medicine has advanced greatly since then and simple things such as washing ones hands before surgery is a known item. We know (or many know) that good oral hygiene is of great importance and before anyone says toothpaste wouldn't be available, there are other means of maintaining good oral hygiene. Same for other items deemed necessary for good health.

In a SHTF, we would resort back to our roots where we live off of local vegetation and animals. Whether that's ideal or not is up for debate, but native American's lived until an elder age so I'm thinking it's a non-issue. If anything, as much as everything is processed now-a-days, I would think a natural veggy, meat and water diet would be good. It's what our bodies were designed/evolved to take in.
Did they locally? I have no idea. I stated that survival is obviously possible without, but there would be effects from their lack. Farmers wouldn't be wasting money on supplements for food animals if they didn't have a measurable effect.

I am also putting it out there that different regions may have different trace mineral deficiencies, and it might be something to look into locally if you are planning for long term survival post SHTF or even just eating almost nothing but locally grown food.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Cavemen had extra chromosomes, double the amount of the modern human! thats a fact look it up. Cavemen lived off meat not just wild plants. They body at that time could produce the needed vitamins, something we have somewhat lost over time with the exception of produceing Vitamin D from exposure to the Sun.

Selenium is know to protect the prostate from cancer. We had to wear gloves when handling drums for machines, when I worked for IKON. Selenium can be toxic like other minerals. If SHTF happend the majority of us wouldent make it. We would get Scurvy and would just die. Taking a multi vitaman would not be enough. There was a recent artical about them causing cancers in the stomach and guts. You need the correct diet along with a supplement pill to find the benifits, not the other way around.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Funny thing about vitamin supplements. In post WWII Europe the rich that took supplements died from scurvy and other deficiency diseases. The poor not only didn't die, they were also asymptomatic. The body gets used to a level of vitamins and a sudden drop causes issue.

Unlike many, I tend to feel that we over use the vitamins. One radio doctor said Americans have the most expensive and colorful urine in the world.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts