Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Project

Was wanting to make it look new and beautiful, and repaint the barrel, site, and mag

Like This except more darker

what kind of paint do i need for the barrel and ect. and what else to the supply need to add

Stripper
Acetone
Minwax Stain
Polyurethane Spray
Brushes
0000 Steel Wool
Rags
sand paper

This will my first doing this.

·
Registered
834 Posts
The factory finish is more or less a paint or it is just blued. Mine looks like it is a paint and surface rust does happen from to time to time if it is not lightly oiled or wiped down. Since it looks like you are doing a complete re-finish on it, why not duracoat it. It is not the original finish but it will be more durable then what is on it from the factory and will help with rust prevention. Black is pretty cheap and can be easily done at home. If you want something closer to the original then Midway and Brownells sells bluing kits.

·
Registered
17,714 Posts
I refinished an Ishapore Enfield..I parkerized the barrel/reciever/magazine/bolt with Manganese Phosphate in a chicken feeder I got from tractor supply...

I put the solution in the tub after I sealed the ends with epoxy and put them on the burners on the stove

I then stripped the steel down to bare metal with an old cheapo Sears sandblaster and 80# aluminum oxide and sprayed clean with non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner, boiled the barrel and receiver until it stopped bubbling, rinsed with the hottest water I could put on it, the heat made the water evaporate almost instantly...then I slathered it with Breakfree CLP and let it soak into the metal to protect it.

I refinished the stock with an dark cherry oak stain and non-gloss minwax spray can polyurethane, it actually looked reaaaaly good...I kick myself for selling it!

You can also black gunkote it too, bluing is a pain in the butt!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts