• Yes

• No

• I would if I had the cash

• NEVER!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
I Don't have a need to refinish it. I do have a few small bare spots from use. But , no rust or reason to refinish.
I leave this thing locked in the un-heated, un-cooled garage, all summer and winter. No rust. I leave it for 2 -3 weeks before cleaning it, no rust.
I normally use Armadillo on the outside and mag's, but last night made a change. I have been using liquid Teflon on the inside moving and non-moving parts with great results. Last night I decided to coat the whole thing with liquid Teflon, with a light buffing to the outside. I will see how that goes.
My Finnish is actually tuffer then I could hope for. I have acid sweat that has the ability to cause cheap-o knife's to rust in a few days, can make old steel keys rust in less then a week. My XD is totally unaffected by my sweat, and I carry it with no holster, it's right there next to my nasty body sweat.
THE only reason I can forsee getting mine refinnished is to have it look better color wise. I want the inside of the grip groves to be a darker color then the slide, with having the slide being a matte black. SA has a REALLY nice looking 45 done this way and it is sharp looking. My daughter says my XD needs to "look better", she is the one who picked out the color scheme for my XD from the SA brochure and displays. She knows her colors.

No offense here dude, but sell it, trade it, refinnish it, do something. You seem really un-happy with the finnish. Do something about it. Yes (this is what you are looking for) there will be some XD's that DO have a bad finnish, it's seems that yours might be one of them. Talk to ?Megan? at SA about a refinnish, or if they won't do it under warrenty, talk to Rich at Canyon Creek. Again, not trying to piss ya off, but I can tell you are NOT happy with the Xd finnish. So, do something about it. Sweet talk SA into a refinnish job, take it back to the dealer you bought it from and see if they can help. Something.

:)

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
HS2000 Gen 1 and no need to refinish an already perfectly finished pistola!

·
Registered
115 Posts
No.
I have no need to. I really like my XD, and even if I had a continuous rust problem, I would just have it refinished instead of getting all frustrated and giving up on the firearm.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Tripp research all the way

·
Registered
435 Posts
I said yes, but it was because I just like the looks of the matte black duracoat that AJAMES does. Plus AJAMES was going to have it anyway putting a front Ameriglo. I bought the pistol new last week and sent it to AJAMES the next day after I bought it, it didn't have time to rust or get any wear!

The two other XDs I had never had a speck of rust on them either. I just used Armadillo and CLP on them and never once a problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just keep spraying the RemOil........no problems yet. About any blued gun I touch will rust in the summer(too much Bud Lite).if I don't Rem Oil it after use. Guess I'm just a salty ol' man...........:lol:

·
Registered
277 Posts
On botheside of my XD9 tact. ,I have no finish on it period. It's bare metal and I have not seen any rust. Everyday I just wipe it down real quick with a silicon cloth from hopps.

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
It's fine as is. I've had no rust. The finish is not as nice as some of my other guns - but I'm too cheap to pay for a refinish based on appearance only.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like I said, I don't have a serious rust problem at all, just a super small speck of it. Call me anal. I absolutly love the gun and always recommend it to anyone who is in the market for a kick-ass dependable firearm. It hasn't failed me yet, and I don't forsee a failure in the near future unless I start using ****-ammo or reach a point where the pistol has had 20,000 rounds through it or so. XD's rule. I'm just saying they could be better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, because I wanted it hard chromed. My Hs2000 is a gen 1 and I never had any issues with the finish. I believe I purchased it around 12/2000, and had it refinished about 7 or 8 months ago.

I believe many of the earlier Hs2000s finishes were done correctly, therefore no issues with the finish. Some people believe the XD's finish is crappy, but I believe if you get one with the correct finish it's as good as other finishes.

·
Registered
992 Posts
My Gen. 2 HS2000 is a carry gun, and it rests against my bare skin. Down here in Florida, I SWEAT even in the winters. After one such night, I developed a rust spot on the serrations of the slide, even after I wiped the gun down with an oily rag that night. It came right off with some CLP and a toothbrush, but I had the gun refinished in hard chrome by Accurate Plating and Weaponry (http://www.apwcogan.com) to turn it into an inpenetrable carry gun. Best hundred bucks I ever spent. In my opinion, Springfield needs to bite the bullet and start shipping these things out with the polymer based Armory Coat from the factory. I'm sure they've refinished enough for them to realize that the present finish isn't the best solution.

The finish is the weak link in this pistol, nothing else to complain about.

B9

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I have a colorful personality so both of mine have been refinished and if I find a deal on a tac .I will have this shadow finish found here
http://www.mrarms.com/gallery.html
Second row in the middle.
Right after the trigger by Rich and Tfo's
So have a beat up tac or rusting tac anyone? Or a 1911 next on my buy list :D
p.s. niether of mine ever rusted

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
R/T Performance, got any pics of your XD w/ the "shadow finish" on it? That's pretty cool looking. And MisFire, I like yours for it's uniqueness but don't think I'd own it personally. Looks too "toy-ish" for my tastes. I do love the highlighting of the lettering though. That looks amazing.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
No I haven't found a deal on a tact' yet but I am looking and already decide. Canyon creek, trigger tfo's and that finish.Then it will be my comp. uspsa gun.While I wait for springfiel to make a 1911 load in 40 cal double stack seen one today(pic) it's in the works like letham's
Heres my blue and the silver though

Also Rich has somthing simaler called fusion
www.canyon-creek.com

·
Registered
380 Posts
SA Armory Kote

1 - 20 of 20 Posts