Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
There have been some guys that have used Cerakote and Duracoat on them. The black looks nice...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Personally, I like the look of our mags. But I can understand that some people would want them not so shiny. But I would suggest taking a little light sand paper to them. Maybe 400, then 600. Then a good coat of spray paint like mentioned above. But make sure they are roughed up a little and clean (no oil) first.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Making you warm and fuzzy about a new color aside, the top priority of the magazines is to have a fairly slick surface where the bullet cases can easily slip against the magazine wall and lips. If you put a different coating on the magazine that makes it less slippery you may run into feed issues. Especially when you have them fully loaded and there is a bunch of spring tension on the rounds. Does it look cool to get them coated in a different color? Sure. Is it worth having the posibility of getting misfeed issues? Not to me. I will stick with shiny and functional.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
I just picked up another XD , and I really dont like the chrome mags. I think I am going to Cerakote mine black the next time I have a group of slides to do in black. ( probably be tomorrow LOL ).

I think the black looks really good and the Cerakote is top notch stuff to use. Nothing else compares in the price range.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Cerakote might be half the cost to do, but I would have to say it isn't even close to half as good as the value of DiamondBLACK. If you figure out how much faster it wears out, there is no comparing the cost savings of going with a higher quality finish. Cerakote is a local company and I think they are the best of the paints I've tested, but if you want it to last and it is going to see wear, it still will not hold up to heavy use. I wish it would as it is very cheap and simple to do.

Toss a Cerkote magazine across a concrete floor (ie indoor range) and do the same with a DiamondBLACK mag and that is the only test you'll ever need to do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am looking to dull them up since shiny isn't really compatible with the matte finish of the pistol. I am looking for something I can apply myself. Dupli-color probably meets that need but I am concerned it would be too thick to fit the magazine well correctly.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Cerakote might be half the cost to do, but I would have to say it isn't even close to half as good as the value of DiamondBLACK. If you figure out how much faster it wears out, there is no comparing the cost savings of going with a higher quality finish. Cerakote is a local company and I think they are the best of the paints I've tested, but if you want it to last and it is going to see wear, it still will not hold up to heavy use. I wish it would as it is very cheap and simple to do.

Toss a Cerkote magazine across a concrete floor (ie indoor range) and do the same with a DiamondBLACK mag and that is the only test you'll ever need to do.

How much does it cost to do a mag in the diamond black ? I ve never had anything done with it so I am just curious ?

Thanks
Todd

1 - 20 of 21 Posts