Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone here refinished their mags using spray paint and baking it on.

i have a few older USGI magazines that are dedicated to range use due to somewhat in frequent feeding problems ie sometimes they work fine sometimes they cause jams for no rhyme or reason and am thinking about trying to refinish and and bake the paint on in the oven. has anyone here tried this? what where your results? did the paint hold up? or did it cause any further feeding problems?

i would like to try it out on my range mags before doing anything to any of my other USGI mags

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I am not a big fan or regular spray paints they seems to scratch and peel easily. I would try moly resin it is a heat cured paint.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Yep. Just posted pics on another forum last week. Here's what I did... I'll shove one of the mags into my lower another 20 or so times later tonight and post a picture of the wear on the finish.

Out with the old springs and followers.

I found this cleaner at Lowes. It says no rinsing needed and good for prepping metal for paint.

Wipe thoroughly

After drying spray the parts. The can recommends 3 light coats.

This is the stuff I used. It's like powder coat with a solvent carrier. It stinks bad. Worse than spray paint.

Dry for 20 minutes between coats and before baking.

Bake for 30 min. at 300F. It makes a lot of smoke at first. oops.

Freshly baked parts.

Nice finish.

New springs and followers from Cproducts. Magpul gen 2 non-tilt followers are great.

closeup of the follower

Assembled mag with tacti-pull

Like new preban mags.

After I did this I found the mags really tight in the lower. The finish was scraped off a few spots near the top of each mag where it was rubbing bad. My first thought was that the finish was too thick. I had never tried these mags in the lower before. I put one of my other mags in it and that was tight as well, so I guess it's just a tight mag well.

I took the mags apart again and lined my vise jaws with blue paper tower for padding and squeezed in the tops of each mag a tiny bit. They fit great after that so I sprayed 1 more coat on top half of each mag and re-baked them.

I took one of them and shoved it into my lower about 30 times. The sharp edge of the mag catch scrapes the finish a little and the upper rear corners of the mag are rubbing off a little where it's the tightest.

I think if I had aluminum oxide blasted, or even sanded the mags first as Brownell's recommends the finish would adhere a little better. The finish is hard enough that you can't chip it off with your fingernail. Although it's not perfect I'm happy with the stuff. Better than spray paint.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh well ill try that later with my other mags.

i did use some of the .07 cent flat black paint from home depot on one of my range mags I used acetone to remove any contaminants from the surface then gave it a a light coat of paint let it air dry for 15 minutes then added another coat once the color was nice and even i baked it at 350 for 20 minutes made a horrible smell in the house but it looked good.

the mag is a little tight in the well as was described above but other than that it looks good and does not rub off on my hands or a towel when wiped down.

mostly i use Pmags but i do have about 10 USGI mags of varying manufacturers that i prominently use for range use or for competition where the mags get thrown down on the ground

i will definitly get some of that stuff from brownells and compare the two.

can you get that stuff in different colors to match furniture?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've spray painted and Duracoated some and found that the Duracoat holds up and looks better than the paint. It was tight at first in the magwell but after a few (or quit a few) mag changes it gets looser.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
I've painted some with Krylon and used Perma-Slik G on a bunch.
Perma Slik G is a dry film lubricant the same as on new USGI mags.
In the end it is really not worth the trouble and I've quit doing any others that I buy since it is only "cosmetic", and any coating you put on just wears off again.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've painted some with Krylon and used Perma-Slik G on a bunch.
Perma Slik G is a dry film lubricant the same as on new USGI mags.
In the end it is really not worth the trouble and I've quit doing any others that I buy since it is only "cosmetic", and any coating you put on just wears off again.
thanks mike it was really just an Im bored on a sunday with nothing better to do so why not give it a try.

most of my mags are PMags anyhow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts