Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few posts about hard chroming uppers and internal parts. How does this affect moving parts and fit tolerance? Does everything fit tighter? Is the actual coating very thin and doesn't affect fit. Anyone ever operational problems once your gun was hard chromed?

Thanks

·
Registered
471 Posts
Just for some reference.

Typically platers like to use AS LITTLE plating material as possible. Why? It cost them money in both longer plating times and material. For instance, you will find that a typical gold plated electronic device (i.e. RCA plugs) will have 10 to 30 microinches of gold. If they went to 60minches, it would cost twice as much.

When you talk about chrome plating, you should have nickel under it. I would take and educated guess and say that you will have under 300 microinches (.0003inches) of plating.

Now, I can 100% promise you that you parts don't have an .0003 inch tolerance and wouldn't be surprised if the tolerances on most parts are more than 10 times that. I would guess that tolerance are held somewhere between .003 and .005 inches.

If you have tighter tolerances than that, it costs a WHOLE LOTTA money in the manufacturing process. You take a part and tell them you want .002 tolerances, and it will easily cost double of .005 .005 is a "typical" tolerance for "precision" machined parts.

That said, I have had part made that require .0002 tolerances. You just pay a WHOLE LOTTA money.

I don't think that refinishing will affect yuou much unless you decide to ad 7 mils of paint (.007 inches). The key here is "mils" are thousandths.

-Dana

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How durable is a coating that thin? I know the color comes from the nickel and that chromium is very hard but that thin how durable can it be?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I applied the same type of nickel/teflon as Robar uses for NP3 to a barrel (inside) and shot it. Didn't wear off.

The coatings are very durable. Look at the bumper on cars that are chrome plated.

-Dana

1 - 5 of 5 Posts