Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent in my XD-9 Bi-Tone to Springfield Armory to have their service department take a look at whether or not my rust issues fall under warranty. This is the same XD I told AJames about and mentioned in the "Bi-Tone Rusting" thread.

Well, apparently my problem did fall under warranty, because my packing slip stated "REFINISHED ENTIRE PISTOL":

Refinished entire pistol! That's great! Everything looked great when I got it out of its box. The trigger, disassembly lever, slide release and grip safety all looked freshly refinished.

Then I stripped the XD:

REFINISHED ENTIRE PISTOL, my yellow ass!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
You have every right to be pissed at SA. I suggest
that you forward them this thread. Nothing like
spreading the word, good or bad. In the bad situation,
it is a known fact that you tell 13 people about your
experience vs. one on a good experience. SA are
you listening?

Ed

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Ugh.

I wonder if someone actually was negligent enough to assemble it like that and send it back to you. It seems unlikely that so much rust could form in the couple of days it took to get to your house.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Its almost like them filled out the paperwork and forgot to do the work. I'd send the pics to Megan and ask her is this is standard for rework. I'd say it isn't. Something is wrong.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NiK said:
Ugh.

I wonder if someone actually was negligent enough to assemble it like that and send it back to you. It seems unlikely that so much rust could form in the couple of days it took to get to your house.
They sent it back to me, and the trigger, grip safety, disassembly lever, and slide release were actually refinished in black Armory Kote.

I was advised to send the pistol to them in the rusted state so that the problem could be verified. The wacky thing is that all of those rusted parts had Disotec XFR applied to them before they rusted. The result was that the parts were OILY and rusted. That is the condition that the pistol was in when I sent it to them. Apparently, that is also the condition that they sent it back to me in. Which is BIZZARE because you have to take out the locking block to remove the trigger, which WAS refinished!!!!!!!!

But what about the internals? Don't they count as part of the ENTIRE PISTOL?

I am still upset. :(

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Old School said:
Its almost like them filled out the paperwork and forgot to do the work. I'd send the pics to Megan and ask her is this is standard for rework. I'd say it isn't. Something is wrong.
Maybe you could PM me her contact info?

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
NiK said:
Ugh.

Or is this the true proof of the finish that is standard, or is that sub-standard on so many of our members guns??

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I had the same deal, only the slide was refinished.

But then, I didn't have rust anywhere that didn't touch me.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

I was contacted by Megan at Springfield Armory. She told me that they sandblasted my bi-tone slide and refinished the external parts. She said that there is no reason to refinish the interior parts because they will wear.

She also told me that the rust I'm experiencing is because the Blue Wonder Disotec XFR is reacting with the metal and causing the corrosion.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I bet Bob Price at Blue Wonder would be interested in that bit of information, and would probably like to discuss that with 'ol Meg...

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have been using the all the BW gun care products for the last 1 1/2 yrs with no such problems. Sounds fishy to me too.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Could be. I didn't ever see rust (I've only got it on my barrel) until I used Bluewonder XFR or whatever it's called (their lube). So it could be...

·
Registered
261 Posts
This is very interesting news. I would like to find out more details about this. And, yes, I will be happy to chat with Megan about this. Please send me her contact information.

I have never heard of a gun rusting after an application of XFR. Not saying it couldn't happen, but this is the first I have heard of this. Let's look into it further and I will report back my findings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would like springfield contact info also if its not to much trouble. By the way what is the turnaround to springfield? thanks in advance.
-sigadvantage-

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
I use xfr on the gun as well as on door hinges and door locks, no rust.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Ditto on the XFR. I use it on all my guns and have never seen any rust.

It would be interesting to know the cleaning frequency of those with rust problems and those without.

I shoot a couple times a week and clean at least once a week.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I read in another post where someone said they believed blue wonder rusted their XD that is the only other time I have heard it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts