Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bet you didn't know that AJames is trying his hand at refinishing the XD!?

James contacted me a short while ago regarding refinishing my XD after I had butchered it by trying to do it myself.. here is the "before" picture:

It was kind of pretty, but I just don't have the know how or the equipment to do it right.. I was very dissapointed...

AJames to the rescue!!!

Here is what she looks like now...

It is not perfect. Because I sanded off the bluing the matted stainless coat had a hard time adhering to the metal due to the unique kind of steel that is used in manufacturing the XD. (Ask Don, he's the guy who knows his metal.) But it sure looks better than what I did to it!!!

If you look closely, the metal at the end of the barell is exposed because the finish would not bake onto it properly. Other than that.. she looks pretty darn good!!! The internal parts look fabulous! I even had James do the trigger bar.. (It wasn't necessary, but it's kind of like chrome plating your air cleaner cover in your car in the hopes that if you open up the hood, the fellas will say: "COOL!")

All in all, I am very happy. AJames asked me to put a couple of thousand rounds through her, abuse it in the loving way that only a gun owner can know, and see how the finish holds up.. (A task that I am looking forward to.) Then I will send it back so that he can see how well the system he is using holds up.

By the way.. turnaround was less than a week, and it only took that long because he did it, and re-did it four times trying to get the coating to stick. He says normally he will be able to get it back in your hands within two days.

Raymond

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For re-bluing, he said something in the neighborood of $25.00 or so for just rust-proofing.. I don't think he is really sure at this point because he's just getting started. He really needs to pipe in on this, because I don't know the particulars.

I got a very good deal, and I don't feel like I am at liberty to say exactly because I am his first customer. I imagine he will be competitive with Tripp, and Canyon Creek.. and certainly the turnaround will be much quicker. (No offense to Tripp and Canyon Creek.. those guys are great too!)

PM him, and see what he is willing to do for you.

Raymond

·
Registered
520 Posts
I just received my XD40SC slide back from James. I was sending it in to have Truglo sights installed and he asked if I wanted to Duracoat the slide. I said "Sure, matte black". It's not a true matte finish, more like a low gloss. Looks very nice and the turn around time was pretty good, just over a week door to door.

Now it's off to the range! :D

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Alright! Get down James! I'm definitely going to do this one. I may even have you throw on some sights too. Gimme a couple weeks, I'm still blowing $$ on my new AR. Also, I have to figure out what color might look good with an OD frame that no one's tried yet.... Gray, maybe?

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Oh there will be a discount if you also buy sights.....I cant offer free installation since I already do that any way, so something like free return shipping plus the standard free install. So an all at one time stop.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Very nice! I may look into this sometime soon (trying to finance an AR right now so money is kinda slim!!).

What are some of the colors you are offering? I have been considering going to stainless rather than black. What's involved in that and is there a price difference?

Nice job AJames!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Looks good. Captain, I remember when you first posted about your "refinish" job.. I was convinced you were nucking futs. james to the rescue!

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
James, lookout for one of mine heading your way.
Hope to get it in the mail to you today. Might try
those TruGlo sights also.

No, make that two of them, XD-357 and XD-45GAP.

Ed

P.S. Damn!! Those are sure goooood prices there
James.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey James,

I saw the prices on your website. I am impressed man!! Great Prices. But how much would durecoating the slide and putting on some of those nice night sights you got in the picture cost?I'd like to know before I send mine out to you for refinishing?

Also if I carry this pistol after it's been DuraCoated will it hold up, you know with all the rubbing and moisture it's going to be subjected to?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ajames, I would like to send out my slide to you for a new finish. I bought (ebay) some TFO's not knowing you had them as well (Im not a good researcher) Would you install the TFO's for me as well ? What would be the price ?

thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
It looks like James stirred up a hornet's nest with this new endeavor!!!
I'm hopin he's gonna be able to handle the massive wave of slides comin through the mail. :lol:
IMHO James has somethin goin for him that's gonna make his business keep growing......trust. He seems to have the XD passion that we all have here....and "knows how it is". Yes makin money is a good thing for the guy, but he treats us as he would himself.(Have you seen his collection?)
As soon as I can afford it....he'll have my business.
Thanks Ajames 8)

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
Very nice!
Would you be interested in doing a desert camo job on my new (used) 1911?...or maybe just a two tone green and black ala Wilson Combat pistolas!
Can you put sights on a 1911 as well?...those mil spec sights are for (very) young eyes!

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Hrdluck13 pm sent.

Fatmatt thanks for the kind words.

So Flo
If they are the dove tail it would be no problem. The staked ones I have never attempted, I have only read and seen the theory, and that dont help much with out the proper tools. The Dove tail I have a 600 dollar pusher that will push anything. As far as 1911 refinishing.....As was said I have a lot of slides comming so to keep my turn around time for right now I would like to stick to the xd and hs2000 Give me say a month and then lets digicamo that sucker:)

I have also got many PM`s and e-mails about the Fusion finish. Out of respect to Old School and Rich I would not rather copy that finish, since I would really like Rich to work on my XD Gap tactical, and I really have not found the need to copy anyones work so why start now.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
FatMatt1981 said:
It looks like James stirred up a hornet's nest with this new endeavor!!!
I'm hopin he's gonna be able to handle the massive wave of slides comin through the mail. :lol:
IMHO James has somethin goin for him that's gonna make his business keep growing......trust. He seems to have the XD passion that we all have here....and "knows how it is". Yes makin money is a good thing for the guy, but he treats us as he would himself.(Have you seen his collection?)
As soon as I can afford it....he'll have my business.
Thanks Ajames 8)
Nobody knows more about the XD than James.

Well, maybe there's a Croatian or two, but that would be all!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts