Springfield XD Forum banner

Reduced recoil spring

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Big Lou 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!
Im new to the community here and had a couple of questions about modifying my 4" mod 2 in 9mm. Im reaching a point where im getting faster at target acquisition and firing speed. From what i understand, a reduced recoil spring might help? So here are my questions.

1. Will a reduced recoil spring help my speed/accuracy?
If so what do you recomend and if there are fitment changes how do i perform them?

2. Does a 4" xd threaded barrel actually work for a mod 2? Im having trouble understanding conflicting statements.

3. If i use a compensator, do i need a reduced power spring or do i need to increase it? What spring rates work for you?

Im not an advanced shooter, however im getting noticeably better with the new training targets i use from trexarms. Now im eager to burn a hole in my pocket. I typically run 115 to 147gr for those who like to know. Anyways, what do y'all recomend?

#3 ·
Have you ever taken any training classes, self defense classes. if you haven't , this is where i would spend my money and time.

After the classes you can research anything else your thinking about with your firearm.

I know many people get better triggers on their XD 's. If i was going to change mine this would be my 1st step.

Reactions: 512twon
#7 ·
Have you ever taken any training classes, self defense classes. if you haven't , this is where i would spend my money and time.

After the classes you can research anything else your thinking about with your firearm.

I know many people get better triggers on their XD 's. If i was going to change mine this would be my 1st step.
I have not taken any classes. And honestly i appreciate the advise. I think im just a bit eager. Some more range time and possibly a trigger could do me just fine.

#6 ·
While you should first look at the previous replies, I'll try to address your questions in order:

1. The stock spring weight, IIRC, is 18lbs. I wouldn't reduce your recoil spring weight for now. All that will do is allow the slide to travel rearward faster, and increase recoil unless you first:

2. Put in a threaded barrel with a compensator/muzzle brake. Original XD barrels will NOT work properly in a Mod.2. You can, however, use an XDM 3.8 Threaded barrel (overall actual length is 4.5") because the XDM and XD Mod.2 firearms share the exact same barrel shank dimensions. I've got one for my Mod.2 and the threads end exactly at the front of the slide.

3. Just be aware that the muzzle brake will need to clear the guide rod when the gun cycles when using an XDM 3.8 threaded barrel. Putting a muzzle brake on your pistol will slow down the recoil considerably, and only if it slows it down too much to where it won't cycle with full power loads should you consider lowering your recoil spring weight. Otherwise, leave the recoil spring alone.

Reducing spring weight also creates other problems. The main recoil spring is also in charge of overcoming the striker spring weight when traveling forward, and if the spring is too light, you might get lots of failures to go fully into battery... Potentially.

BUT, like others before me have said, consider taking a course, getting an upgraded trigger, then if you feel your still not getting race gun speeds, worry about making a Rowland special XD Mod.2.

Reactions: 512twon
#8 ·
While you should first look at the previous replies, I'll try to address your questions in order:

1. The stock spring weight, IIRC, is 18lbs. I wouldn't reduce your recoil spring weight for now. All that will do is allow the slide to travel rearward faster, and increase recoil unless you first:

2. Put in a threaded barrel with a compensator/muzzle brake. Original XD barrels will NOT work properly in a Mod.2. You can, however, use an XDM 3.8 Threaded barrel (overall actual length is 4.5") because the XDM and XD Mod.2 firearms share the exact same barrel shank dimensions. I've got one for my Mod.2 and the threads end exactly at the front of the slide.

3. Just be aware that the muzzle brake will need to clear the guide rod when the gun cycles when using an XDM 3.8 threaded barrel. Putting a muzzle brake on your pistol will slow down the recoil considerably, and only if it slows it down too much to where it won't cycle with full power loads should you consider lowering your recoil spring weight. Otherwise, leave the recoil spring alone.

Reducing spring weight also creates other problems. The main recoil spring is also in charge of overcoming the striker spring weight when traveling forward, and if the spring is too light, you might get lots of failures to go fully into battery... Potentially.

BUT, like others before me have said, consider taking a course, getting an upgraded trigger, then if you feel your still not getting race gun speeds, worry about making a Rowland special XD Mod.2.
Thanks for the info! Thats pretty much what i was looking for. I think im just eager from seeing the Glock guys go ham on modding out their race guns and carry weapons. I totally get the look cool factor because its fun but also i want my gun to work. I'll probably start with some training honestly.

#11 ·
Welcome! I agree with getting some advanced training. There is no way your skill set is out shooting the capabilities of the gun.

That said, if you really want to spend some money to bling out your pistol to customize it consider cerakoting it. Xdman on this sight does an amazing job. Or buy a couple quality OWB and IWB kydex holsters. There are a number of companies that manufacture them in almost any color or design logo. Quality holsters are a must have that many people go cheap on.

Finally, work on a little grip strength training, along with being taught a proper grip, will go miles in helping faster shooting.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.