Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get wife interested in shooting and hopefully get her CHL. I have XD40SC, 44spl Bulldog revolver, 38 spl S&W Airweight, 357 Taurus full size revolver, 44 mag S&W (way too much for her), and 22 auto & revolver (too small for CHL). Has anyone tried the reduced recoil ammo in 40, 44spl, 38, or 357 and is any of it OK for self defense? If she shows any interest I'll get her whatever she wants but no sense getting a "girl gun" if she won't use it. She shot the Bulldog years ago with standard ammo with no problem so she can stand some recoil.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I have loaded up a bunch of .38 with LHBWC over 2.8 gr Tite Group, and 3.0 Universal for teaching the wife. The recoil is about like the .22. I figure that once she has run a hundred or so through, I'll move it up a notch or two. When she is ready, we'll go with a SD load. She has shot the Buckmark on a number of occasions.
I'd rather have her carrying a revolver. It is easier to squeeze the trigger again than to run an automatic through a clear and fire routine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I find a ruger mk2/3, p22, etc, are real handy to easy a fresh shooter into it. Also easier to teach some trigger control before they get scared and start subconsciously over accounting for the recoil.

heavy grain 9mm? My 147 winchester SD rounds have noticeable less recoil than 115gr target ammo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts