Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the forum.. is there a reduced power recoil spring for the .45 XD service model? the factory captive spring is pretty heavy. my wife is having problem actually cocking the slide.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
NO. There are not any aftermarket light weight spring assemblies for the XD-45acp service model. Also do not try cutting down the coils to get a weaker spring. The result will usually be a pistol that may not stay in battery. It may not fully close with a new round and/or may not hold in battery until sufficient pressure has dropped to a safe level from a fired cartridge before opening. And the full slide travel weight will hardly drop any.

add: If there were lighter springs, they would be for use with low power competition loaded ammo that cannot cycle the slide with a standard weight spring. A full power SD cartridge should use a stock weight spring to prevent excess impact wear on the pistol.

The video is not bad, but still uses some of the weaker muscle groups. If her technique does not work and you still need more effort to successfully rack the slide: Use a very similar grip as shown except drop the pistol below waist level, with the muzzle pointed down in front of you and slightly to the weak side. Extend the pistol down until the arms are nearly straight. Holding the weak arm steady, push the grip away from you (shove the strong hand straight under the grip of the weak hand). Exact hand and arm placement should become obvious starting from where the video grip is shown, just lower to make use of shoulder and upper arm muscles instead of pectorals. It uses a push away rather than push across.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
More difficult then just racking the slide is opening and locking back the slide. The cornered cat mentions 2 ways. With the XD/XDM there is another easier method that requires less dextertity. If you install an empty magazine in the magwell and simply rack the slide, the follower in the mag will push up the slide lock lever. Best to rack and close the slide a few times first with no magazine installed to ensure the chamber is clear. That way if you some how block the ejection port with your hand, any cartridge or empty case will drop out the mag well. No need to deal with thumb control to press up the slide lock. Observe the safety rules and trigger finger control. Still be sure not to block the ejection port so any still chambered round or empty case can be ejected during the slide opening (never assume empty).

·
Registered
5 Posts
since no one makes a lighter spring/rod set, and I intend on using lighter reloaded ammo, whats to stop me from replacing the entire captive rod/spring assembly with a shortened 5'' rod and a lighter weight single spring?
btw I have the 4'' .45 model.
Ill even add a overtravel stop if I have to.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
since no one makes a lighter spring/rod set, and I intend on using lighter reloaded ammo, whats to stop me from replacing the entire captive rod/spring assembly with a shortened 5'' rod and a lighter weight single spring?
btw I have the 4'' .45 model.
Ill even add a overtravel stop if I have to.
Its your gun and fingers and eyes, do what ever you like!

don

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
A cut down 5" spring may work for some limited number of rounds. It will probably be unreliable in feeding new rounds and after a few uses, it will not hold the slide in battery correctly. The single spring adaptation was tried in many different spring varieties by many developers, manufacturer's and general shooters for every year since the XD45 service was first marketed. The lighter spring effects the entire slide operation and mag feed cycle timing. Does not work.

With a high demand for a workable single spring solution, don't you think some aftermarket seller would be marketing one right now if it were feasible?

·
Registered
410 Posts
You'd likely have more problems with jamming if you were to ever use a lighter spring. Just shoot it and it will become a lot smoother. Like others have said, try different racking methods.

·
Registered
5 Posts
oh its not the racking im having trouble with. its the lighter loads i intend to use. they dont have enough power to push the slide back far enough to get a reliable feed. it does give me lots of ''rip and strip'' practice. i can order springs in about any size and strength here at work. i found several that just may do it for me.
it was either try a single spring, or machine a takedown captive rod so i can swap out the springs. To give you a better idea, Im using rounds that have approx: 790fps and 9800psi, with a 200grain bullet. When it feeds, its managable recoil for one hand and good accuracy. im basicly going to be shooting bullseye with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts