Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I need some help understanding the difference in the way you aim with both. I am new to using anything but irons so this may be a stupid question. It seems like with the Holo that once you zero the sight anyone could pick up and shoot dead on but with a RedDot how you look through the sight will matter. Is this true? I know when shooting Iron sights you want to keep your cheek in the same place when you shoot to keep the shots right on so zeroed for one person will not work for someone else.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Nope once the reddot/holographic is zeroed you'll be on target as long as you can see the dot. You can even shoot with both eyes open its actually recommended and I find it easier that way

·
Registered
224 Posts
I run an eotech xps 2-2 on mine love it, as long as you can see the reticle you can hit the target

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
I have a Barska multi reticle electro (red dot) sight on my Sig 556. Once I got it sighted in, anywhere I placed the dot I hit.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Check out the Vortex Strikefire. Best quality/price combination on the market.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok sweet. So one is really no better than the other. Just personal preference. And once you sight one it's easy point and shoot. Thanks for the clear up.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ok sweet. So one is really no better than the other. Just personal preference. And once you sight one it's easy point and shoot. Thanks for the clear up.
The main difference is that with holographic you can get a reticle whereas with red dots you just get a dot. Whether that matters or not is up to you.

·
Registered
261 Posts
What IS the difference between the two? I mean you have the various sights, ACOG, EOTech, Aimpoint, etc. Are they all red dot, holographic, combo?
I'd like a red dot sight (or holographic sight) for my AR, just not sure what the differences are. Never had it explained to me yet.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
eotech is holographic, aimpoint is red dot. The style is personal preference, gotta mess around with both. I prefer eotechs because the circle around the dot helps me reference the center dot faster than a dot by itself like on an aimpoint

·
Banned
38 Posts
either one is fine. one cost more than the other (considerably)! But it is important to never forget your basics, like holding a proper cheek to stock weld. forget that, and when you forget to turn it on, you will be shooting your wife then the robber...........

i am, or was a Green Beret, so I know what i am talking about. optics suck in my expert opinion, not to mention if you drop it, it will be off at distance at the least. learn to shoot properly:twisted::twisted::twisted:

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Optics don't suck, its a personal preference. Irons are just as prone to being off if dropped as an optic is. If your wife is next to the assailant, you may consider not taking the shot unless you've been trained to an exceptional degree and constantly maintain it. I could take any shot in my house using no sights or optics, provided I don't have a family member nearby.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
I read what you said and got stuck on "optics suck." While I appreciate what you did, that does not make you right. Last time I saw SOCOM units running around, can't say I saw one guy w/ irons on anything other than his pistol...optics might suck for you, but a good many people do fine with them. Avatars and titles don't win arguments, unless you're a moderator.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I read what you said and got stuck on "optics suck." While I appreciate what you did, that does not make you right. Last time I saw SOCOM units running around, can't say I saw one guy w/ irons on anything other than his pistol...optics might suck for you, but a good many people do fine with them. Avatars and titles don't win arguments, unless you're a moderator.
That bold Part made me chuckle. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.