Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Red versus green lasers at first seems an easy choice. Green is easier for the human eye to see than red. Percieved difference according to reports seem to indicate that green is 3 to 4 times easer to recognize than red. Slam dunk in favor of green . . . . maybe.

Recently I came across an article stating that the green laser beam is generally visible allowing an adversary to track the beam to it's source. A photograph accompanying it seemed to coroberate the statement. Red laser beams are usually, according to the article, only visible when particulate, such as smoke or water vapor, are present. Perhaps the greater brightness of the green laser makes it more visible with normal ammounts of particulate (dust, pollen, etc.) whereas more concentrated particulate (smoke, fog, steam, etc.) are necessary for red beams to become noticeable.

My question then is does the easier acquisition of a target due to the greater brightness of green lasers outweigh its liability of being able to be tracked to its source? And, under what circumstances are green laser sights superior to red? Conversely, when are red laser sights, if at any time, superior to green laser sights?

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I don't know about target acquisition. I would think that having a beam you could see easily (green laser) would get you on target faster if it was a moving target, say if it was a coyote running from left to right in the woods/field in front of you.

I have thought about maybe getting a green laser. I wouldn't need to worry about a BG following the beam back to me because I would use it mostly for varmits at night. Read that as being skunks, raccoons, opossums, etc.

So I will stick with the red laser for home defense (mostly outdoors at night). Inside I don't think it would matter. Other than the intimidation factor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I read somewhere the Green will not work in Very cold or hot weather

But with that said i would agree that either will work in a BG situation

JD

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I read somewhere the Green will not work in Very cold or hot weather

But with that said i would agree that either will work in a BG situation

JD
The Viridian Green Laser will work in all conditions including hi-noon sunlight at least out to 50yds plus. Warm or cold does not affect this unit and if you don't think this laser is intimidating you must be fearless. I use one and they are a very nice unit and my choice after research & shooting others.
Go Green !
://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=41

·
Registered
192 Posts
lasers no matter the color will be very intimidating. like all light beams,its easier to trace the source specially at night. i'll settle for the business end of my gun facing the adversary anytime;)

·
Registered
481 Posts
I agree with chg........I can pick up my Viridian's green laser beam out to 100yds........Texas, mid day, no clouds, 110 degrees............go green. 4 hrs battery life on steady 6hrs if in one of the three strobe modes. I have mine on an XDM 40...........23/25 head shots from 45 feet.:idea:

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Having any color laser point on you usually means that a bullet will come to you at that spot. I personal can see green easier but in my house and only for 25 yrds I'll take the red laser. My AR15 has a green laser and my AR15 9mm has a red laser.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Another issue with green lasers, is they tend to light up the area around the source, creating a green blob of light-or more or less making you into a easily seen blob of green light. (sort of like pointing a flashlight at the ground)

While red lasers, only admit a faint red light at the source.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your insights. Other than the range, my XD will be used for home defense. Distances will probably be no greater than 30 feet. Anything farther than that will most likely be outside of the house, and I'll leave that area for the local constabulary, unless highly unusual conditions occur. My goal for a laser sight is to be able to quickly, accurately and consistantly put rounds on center mass in low light levels and/or awkward gun positions.

It seems red may better fit my applications. If I needed to employ a laser at greater distances and marginal light levels green seems to have a distinct advantage. Bright and almost bright conditions would seem to mask the green lasers "glow" at source.

Thank you all again. More insight and experiences would be welcomed.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Green is an "evil" color, so I'd go with that. :mrgreen:

For those who have these laser things, do you really see a beam? If not, then it wouldn't be easy for a BG to trace it back to you unless he sees the beams origin (the laser emitter).

·
Registered
317 Posts
Green shows up in Low light better than red. Red light dulls everything out and is less "offensive" to the eye. Thats why they use red lights on ships/planes/air towers and do on at night.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Green is an "evil" color, so I'd go with that. :mrgreen:

For those who have these laser things, do you really see a beam? If not, then it wouldn't be easy for a BG to trace it back to you unless he sees the beams origin (the laser emitter).
I watched the video on the Viridian site and you can clearly see the beam as it leaves the laser to the target. Very obvious in my opinion. Not saying it is bad. I actually want on now. But you can definitely see the beam.

Don

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i dont have a green laser but i do think they are way cooler. easier to see during the day or other bright situations, just shoot fast and you wont have to worry about them knowing where you are. i dont think it puts you at any more of a disadvantage. think of how easy it would be to shoot at someone with a flashlight, but you have to see what your shooting at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Talking about "intimating", both green laser and red laser beam are dangerously intimating. Our eyes will feel a sort of discomfort when we're exposed to the laser beam. No good.

I always think the 650nm or 635nm red laser beam is more "inclusion-free" or pure than the 532nm green laser light; My 200mw red laser beam also proves to be nearly as visible as the 50-75mw green laser pointer.

The green light is generated in an indirect process, beginning with a high-power (typically 100-300 mW) infrared AlGaAs laser diode operating at 808 nm. I know 808nm laser beam is invisible but it hurts eyes much more easier. As for green laser, ir filtered or not, the intense mere brightness of even a 50mw green laser is too dangerous if we don't wear any goggles. :sad:

If you're talking about the brightness in tracking the source, it depends on the power. At the similar output power level, a green laser beam is certainly much more brighter than a red laser beam; but a 200mw red laser pointer is certainly brighter than a 50mw green laser.

Actually, the red laser beam is visible and can be Very Visible(not ='bright') when it reaches certain power. My 200mw red laser pointer or torch purchased from LaserPointerPen.Net is the example. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts