Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just loaded up a bunch of target rounds with some red dot with 4.4 grains and for funsies I decided I should try a triple drop from my powder thrower which brings my load weight up to 6.7 grains.

Bullets are 45 caliber 185 grains TMJ's

Anyone know if this is safe or not? The reload manual I'm using has the max load published for 6 grains of red dot? Am I pushing the envelope too far??

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Going .7g above the max published load in your manual? I wouldn't consider that safe!

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
If you want to shoot that hot of a load, work up slowly in .1-.2 grain increments and constantly check for pressure signs. When I was shooting bowling pin matches, I loaded pretty hot.

I really see no reason to want to shoot that hot of a load unless you have a REAL need and your comfortable on your OWN doing so.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I wouldn't load close to max or over max with an auto powder measure. Red Dot is pretty coarse and the auto measure might be off + or - a bit between charges, that in conjunction with max loads is not good.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I use red dot but I only use 4.0 gr for 230gr fmj as I like the lighter load for target shooting.

Max I've ever used was 6.0 and I don't know what benefit you would get from 6.7. I'll let you experiment though because somebody has to be the guinea pig. It's a pretty fast burning powder so those funsies could get interesting.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use red dot but I only use 4.0 gr for 230gr fmj as I like the lighter load for target shooting.

Max I've ever used was 6.0 and I don't know what benefit you would get from 6.7. I'll let you experiment though because somebody has to be the guinea pig. It's a pretty fast burning powder so those funsies could get interesting.
What weight bullet though?? Cuz I'm only throwing 185 g's out there and not 230

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I know nothing about Red Dot but it sounds like trouble to me. Ever see an exploded pistol, assuming this is what you are shooting it out of?

Why are you throwing what I assume to be doubles for your safe load, and a triple for your "highpowered load". What powder measure do you use. 2.2, 4.4, 6.6???? Each time you throw an extra charge the stacking weight variation will increase. Truthfully, I have never heard of this before.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Did you actually weight the dropped charge? The Lee chart is notorious for being incorrect. At 6.7gr you are waaaay over max. With a fast powder like RedDot, your margin of error is very small. Pressures do NOT increase linearly, but exponetially. Meaning you could be looking at pressures well beyond +p.:shock:

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
holy crap....i load 4.3 grains of red dot and that shoots fine. The most I have loaded was 5.5 grains (GDHP, 185gr.) and that made me nervous even though it was under the max load.

I don't know man....I wouldn't do it in my gun.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
anyone else excited about the picture thread thats coming up shortly titled
my xd is a piece of **** and it blew up at the range

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you actually weight the dropped charge? The Lee chart is notorious for being incorrect. At 6.7gr you are waaaay over max. With a fast powder like RedDot, your margin of error is very small. Pressures do NOT increase linearly, but exponetially. Meaning you could be looking at pressures well beyond +p.:shock:

Yup I weigh stuff out. Its not a lee but a RCBS dandy pistol powder throw with interchangeable dies. It throws a little less than advertised but it is very consistent. Its only .7 over max published

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Yup I weigh stuff out. Its not a lee but a RCBS dandy pistol powder throw with interchangeable dies. It throws a little less than advertised but it is very consistent. Its only .7 over max published
ONLY? It's your pistol, but like I said, pressures do not go up linearly. While you may be 11% over max. powder charge, that could be 25%-30% over max. pressure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts