Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried out a Primary Arms micro dot or the Truglo micro dot sight with a magnifier?

The reason I am asking is I am thinking about this and wonder if they will fit over or in front of my Matech BUIS and still be on the reciever?

I sold my old Aimpoint and mount and am looking at a new micro dot and magnifier combo to replace it.

Any ideas, please put them out here for discussion.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I have shot with red dot and magnifiers and they worked so so. I would suggest a 1-4 scope with true 1x. IT will work like a CCO both eyes open and nothing dangling off the side and flip the cat tail over and you have 4x or anything in between. Try and get your hands on a vortex razor or viper 1-4 and check it out. There is at least 20 other option. they run well though.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I have shot with red dot and magnifiers and they worked so so. I would suggest a 1-4 scope with true 1x. IT will work like a CCO both eyes open and nothing dangling off the side and flip the cat tail over and you have 4x or anything in between. Try and get your hands on a vortex razor or viper 1-4 and check it out. There is at least 20 other option. they run well though.
^^THIS^^
The Leup. VXR1-4 is a great scope, bright & as fast as a holo IMO. The dot is on or off, adjustable for brightness. If I go optics on a carbine, this would be my choice for less money & bulk.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
glad the question got asked!!! I've been leaning hard towards the Aimpoint PRO with a magnifier...... may need to keep shopping.....

What else do the rest of our friends here think??

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I have the Primary Arms Micro and I like it so far. Not too many rounds through it yet but it has held zero so far. My next purchase for my AR will be the Primary Arms magnifier. I've played with them in stores and I like them so far.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I've discussed this in a thread that asked a similar question awhile ago. Frankly, weight and ergos, to me, are better in a straight up variable scope....That having been said, here is my set up (lens covers, with clear aperture, are on the magnifier in the picture :oops:):

I have the Primary Arms magnifier in a QD mount in front of the Aimpoint PRO but the magnifier is mainly for range use (the gf prefers to shoot magnified and we primarily just shoot indoor). I don't keep the magnifier on, even though it can flip to the side and out of the way, because of the weight and balance it gives...(don't think 3x helps in practical shooting or any real precision shooting....just tightens up groups with the PRO),

I think I nice 1-4x scope is an ideal set-up. I have been wanting to sell the Aimpoint PRO for awhile but can't pull myself up to it because I don't want to take a hit on it (want a micro T-1).

I think for most purposes it will suffice, but I liken this set up to a multi-tool: good at a lot of things but great at none. Whereas I am the type of guy that wants the right tool for the right job and I feel that this set up is a compromise on both counts. It is great (when equipped with a flip to side or QD, or both, mount) but its magnification is limited. There are great 1-4x options and with a CAT lever they rival all aspects that you could argue in favor of the Red dot and magnifier (speed).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Edit:

Did say you don't want to put your optic between rails like that, but looking at the pic closer, it looks like a single rail. If it's not solid all the way through, you may need to move something.

Your system looks like it would great at the closer stuff, but these rifles will still nicely touch stuff out at 300m. Just hope you aren't up against a precision rifle.

Mako makes a 5x magnifier I think. I'm starting to think more on the 5x to try to push it out further.

Another option, with a Larue mount and Comp ML3, it should hold its zero if taken off and back on. I already have some paint marker on the receiver so I remember where exactly it was. Could just get a 3-9x with a high quality QD mount and bring that along.

I'm really thinking on a bayo lug bipod mount for a Harris. That would be a great QD feature.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts