Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I want to put a red dot sight on my XDs 45. I would like to have the slide milled for the sight. Would those of you who have done this help me with some info?
What sight did you go with?
Where did you have your slide milled?
Are you happy with results?
Would you do anything differently?
Can I see some pictures please?!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not sure how helpful this will be but I've owned a XDs .45 for several years and love it. That said, I recently bought a Trijicon RMR red dot to install on my Glock 20 (10mm). I had a gunsmith in North Alabama, who works on many handguns for leading competitive shooters, to do the mill work and it is a phenomenal piece of craftsmanship and the red dot works wonderfully.
After reading your request, I took my XDs and held it to the G20 and the Trijicon is way too wide for the XDs. Not sure if they make more narrow red dots (I am ignorant about this part) but the RMR is one of the most popular on the market now and there's no way. The XDs .9 inch width will not be your friend on this endeavor, I fear.
Hope I am not raining on your parade, but just thought I would toss this out.
Good luck

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi everyone,
I want to put a red dot sight on my XDs 45. I would like to have the slide milled for the sight. Would those of you who have done this help me with some info?
What sight did you go with?
Where did you have your slide milled?
Are you happy with results?
Would you do anything differently?
Can I see some pictures please?!
Have an XDs 9, and put a Shield RMSc on it.
Milled by Galloway.
Pleased as punch.
Would do it over again.
No pics right now, it's being worn AIWB and we're cozily watching TV.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi treepotato. When you have a chance, I would love to see pics.
Sorry for the delay... first time back since posting. Here are some pics, not the best photography but should give the idea.

BTW, holster is a Vedder Lighttuck which I had before the red dot, thus the home job Dremel cut, with a Vedder claw and Concealment Express strut and loop.

·
Registered
153 Posts
That thing is freaking awesome!!! How much do you have wrapped up in the slide cut? And the optic?
Galloway did the milling. I don’t know their current charges, but was around $125 plus shipping a couple years ago.

The optic is a Shield RMSc, one of the early batches. Had to pay in British pounds... but 1/3 to 1/2 the price of an RMR. The compact width fits a single stack like a glove.

The Hellcat layout is like a clone of this, but in a higher capacity and without grip safety (I like the grip safety, so not likely to change guns).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Treepotato! That is very cool!
Did the process eliminate the loaded chamber indicator? If so, does it cause any issues with carbon deposits on the lens of the optic?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
pardon me no disrespect intended, but why a red dot with a handgun meant for 10 yards or closer? I could see a laser even then why?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was kind of the same mindset as you @oldkid until I took an advanced defensive pistol class with a gentleman that was running a red dot sight. It was amazing how much faster and more accurate he was in hostage situations. Everybody was taking their time to really make sure that shot was well placed or
They would try and get a shot off too fast and miss wide for fear of hitting the hostage. The guy with the red that was drilling the perpetrator between the eyes regularly at an unbelievably fast pace. I would say skill level of attendees in that class was pretty even. Other drills red dot guy may not have been faster but he was always more accurate. It certainly opened my eyes to the possible advantage of a red dot on my carry gun. I have not gone there yet myself and understand there is a learning curve to going red dot but I have a feeling it won’t be long and I’ll have one on my gun.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks Treepotato! That is very cool!
Did the process eliminate the loaded chamber indicator? If so, does it cause any issues with carbon deposits on the lens of the optic?
Yes, and yes. The slot of the LCI would channel chamber gasses onto the lens. I solved that by filling the channel with high temp RTV. This is probably one of a few reasons the Hellcat has a view hole rather than LCI bar.

·
Registered
153 Posts
pardon me no disrespect intended, but why a red dot with a handgun meant for 10 yards or closer? I could see a laser even then why?
Honestly, my XDs rings steel at 100 yards day or night. It's not just a 10 yard gun. The gun was always capable of being accurate that far, but human limitations with iron sights and sight radius on short barreled guns make people believe otherwise.

I didn't swap to red dots until having middle aged eye problems. My eyes aren't round like most people, they're egg shaped. My retinas are perpetually stretched (and at risk of detachment) and as I aged the depth range of things being in focus has become narrow as my lenses have aged. If I focus on the front sight, a target isn't just blurry it's an indistinguishable blob. It is physically impossible to find a happy medium of seeing front sight and target with the right amount of blur on either to hit accurately. With red dots I can see 20/20 at distance while staying target/threat focused and drift the red dot to overlay and get reliable hits.

Up close, contact range? I'll point shoot with one hand from retention. 3-5 yards? Still, point shoot with elbow locked on front of hip. 5-7 yards? Point shoot, with partial extension right below line of sight. 7 yards? Optic is like a ghost ring, and if filled with target I still get COM and fast. 10-20 yards? Red dot head shots are easy. 20-100 yards? COM is easy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
How has the RTV held up to shooting and cleaning? How did you fill it?

Thanks.
Couple thousand rounds and still hasn’t loosened up. Used a toothpick to put the RTV in and then smoothed with my finger. I keep thinking next time to use a razor blade but still waiting for it to work loose, which hasn’t happened.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts