Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my new XD-40 yesterday, and am looking forward to a chance to go out and try it!!! I was curious as to whether or not anybody had any recommended methods of breaking them in. In every other weapon I own, I usually fire a round or two, and then clear the debris. I do this for mabey a mag or two, and then space out the cleanings to about every 20-30 rounds for the next 200 rounds or so. Anybody else have any better luck w/ something else?

·
Registered
380 Posts
As quoted to me...

Field strip and thouroughly clean...load magazines...following all safety rules...and...

bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang

reload

repeat (skipping the cleaning)

continue to repeat...

thouroughly clean at the end of session.

No FTF's No FTE's

VERY ACCURATE!

ENJOY!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sounds like too much work to me. I always thoroughly clean and lube a new gun, then go out and shoot it a bunch. When I get home, clean and lube it thoroughly again. This includes the gun and the magazines, btw. (Silicone lube for the mags, no oil to attract dirt.)

Repeat daily until ammo supply is exhausted or the wife complains!

The cleaning after a few rounds routine seems more like a precision rifle break in procedure than what is necessary for a pistol.

The mag springs are notorious for being stiff, so you could load them up a few days before you go shoot to loosen them a bit.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
breakin procedure -

Oil

shoot, shoot and shoot some more.

·
Registered
380 Posts
USN RM3 said:
cekxd40, you forgot one "BANG".....
I dont +1, I figure 12 is better than average already :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for the replies... I am very diligent about break in's on my new rifles, namely the match grade barrels I put on them. Comforting to know that I can treat this weapon like it was meant to be treated, a combat pistol. thanks again for the replies!!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm similar to most others above. I picked up my XD-9 Bi-Tone Service last Tuesday. Before hitting the range, I field stripped it and wiped it down well. However, there was very little excess oil. I reassembled it, sprayed the slide with Boeshield T-9 for corrosion control (can't be too safe even with SST), wiped of the excess T-9 and headed for the range.

I put 200 rounds of mixed ammo through it without any type of cleaning. When finished, I ran a boresnake through it while it was still warm. I stripped and cleaned it thorougly a couple of hours later when I reached home. I put a drop of oil on the front end of each rail and reassembled it.

I repeated this twice more in the six days I've owned it. So far over 450 rounds without the hint of any FTF/FTE. I love this pistol! :D

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
take care of your Xd like you would your teeth
after awhile it's a habit

1 - 10 of 10 Posts