Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently won a Trijicon 3 x 30 acog in a raffle and plan to install it on my Socom 16. I already have a Sadlak Airborne Scope Mount installed on the Socom.

I plan to practice shooting mostly at 300 years due to the limited ranges were I live, but I would like to use the same ammo to reaches out to 600 yards using the BDC of the acog.

The Trijon FAQ states that the acog was calibrated to .308 168gr. Winchester Ballistic and states: The real issue is not the bullet weight or barrel length, but muzzle velocity, ballistic coefficient, and the distance from height above bore. The difference in trajectory from bullet to bullet or barrel to barrel is usually less than the MOA thickness of the stadia lines.

I do not plan to reload, but want to use the most common ammo available due to cost concerns, but keep as much accuracy as possible in my current configuration.

What ammo are you guys using?

I know the first answer will be to just buy the ammo and shoot it, but .308 ammo is expensive, and I rather start with the suggestions from the postings here. Many of the Internet searchers are out of date, or result in Kool-Aid type responses. I also don't have money to upgrade to a better scope system, so I have to use what I got.

Finally, lets keep the posts respectful.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I'd try to find a company that loaded with 168 grn matchkings or amax's if you're serious about getting out that far with 168's. I like to use 175 grn bullets in that flavor though. Check out blackhills or the federal matchkings maybe.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
In reality if you enjoy shooting and are not qualifying or in competition, any 7.62 NATO of good quality will work as the rifle was designed to work with.

This can help in that the USMC and US Army used ball ammo successfully.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would direct you to another forum. I don't know the rules here so I'll keep it to myself. PM me if you'd like the link.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
A BDC reticle is designed for a very specific set of circumstances. i fear a 16" barrel isn't going to give you the velocities it was designed for out to 600 yards, and the bullet that will give you the velocities won't give you the BC it's engineered for.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, your talking about the one with an expert named Rammac? right? If that's the case Google m14 and Rammac, you should come up with the right forum.

I would direct you to another forum. I don't know the rules here so I'll keep it to myself. PM me if you'd like the link.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts