Springfield XD Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
8,186 Posts
^ Some prefer the "slap" - others prefer the "smash."

I'm among the latter - I don't know why, but when I "slap," I get a bounce-out more often than not, which of-course doesn't help the magazine seat properly. Might just be the amount of meat on my palms! :p:ROFLMAO:

I instead prefer a "smash" or "smush," where at the end of the insertion, I kinda "push" the magazine home a bit more: smashing/smushing the heels of my hands together, in a manner of speaking. Since my normal handgun reload has me "dropping the gun onto the mag" instead of feeding the mag into the gun, this smash/smoosh doesn't cost any more time.
All I know is treat it like a GUN not like a carton of eggs and dont be afraid to be forceful you aint gonna hurt it.

What ever word ya want to use just slam that biatch home and carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Friend of mine, Royal Canadian Mounted Police, armory, mag capacity, less one. One in the chamber, total number of rounds. Don't know if it's right or wrong, sounded legit. Its the way all my mags are loaded.
It makes sense to me except possibly when a fully loaded magazine seems excessive (for the application) and the additional weight might be a disadvantage (such as 15 + 9 mm rounds loaded in a nightstand gun).

If I am laying in bed at night and I have to roll over and reach for a gun on the nightstand, an excessively heavy gun can be difficult to suddenly pick up and aim at a target in a dark room (so it seems to me).

For me, these are all what if‘s. It is easier to think about the various options before we might have to deal with a reality.

What makes sense to me may or may not make sense to someone else and that’s fine (and I might wake up with a totally different viewpoint tomorrow).

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I received this from a major manufacturer:

Storing loaded mags long term will not have any adverse effects on them. What we do recommend is cycling out any defensive ammo about every 6 months or so (or at least as close to this as you can in today’s market) as well as trying not to CHAMBER the same rounds repeatedly, which can seat the bullet further into the casing than it should be.

As for leaving your mags loaded though, there is no concern there.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
665 Posts
If I am laying in bed at night and I have to roll over and reach for a gun on the nightstand, an excessively heavy gun can be difficult to suddenly pick up and aim at a target in a dark room (so it seems to me).
If like 5 rounds of 9mm makes a difference in your ability to wield or not wield a pistol in an emergency situation, you might want to reevaluate your fitness habits.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If like 5 rounds of 9mm makes a difference in your ability to wield or not wield a pistol in an emergency situation, you might want to reevaluate your fitness habits.
In my case I am 77 and legally disabled.

The pistol I was referring to holds 17 9mm rounds (not 5).

An XD-M or P320 (9mm or .45 ACP) fully loaded and with an optic sight and weapons light can be difficult for me to wield in an emergency.

I am only concerned with my personal limitations - not my fitness habits.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
In my case I am 77 and legally disabled.

The pistol I was referring to holds 17 9mm rounds (not 5).

An XD-M or P320 (9mm or .45 ACP) fully loaded and with an optic sight and weapons light can be difficult for me to wield in an emergency.

I am only concerned with my personal limitations - not my fitness habits.
Can you use a half gallon of 2% milk?
I mean get it from refrigerator and pour a glass of milk for yourself.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Can you use a half gallon of 2% milk?
I mean get it from refrigerator and pour a glass of milk for yourself.
I can (and do) handle my firearms without difficulty. I’ve sold off the magnums years ago. If I can’t shoot it well (and it is not fun) I get rid of it. The 9mm, .40 & .45 are easy and fun to shoot. Fully loaded guns have less recoil but I don’t need that many bullets in the bedroom.

I am simply adding to my knowledge to learn more about optics, lasers and weapons lights both for fighting and for fun.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I can (and do) handle any and all of my firearms without difficulty. I’ve sold off all the magnums (S&Ws, Remingtons, Winchesters & Weatherbys) years ago. If I can’t shoot it well (and it is not fun) I get rid of it. The 9mms, .40s & .45s are easy and fun to shoot. Fully loaded guns have less recoil but I don’t need that many bullets in the bedroom.

I am simply adding to my knowledge to learn more about optics, lasers and weapons lights both for fighting and for fun.
The reason I asked that question is because a half gallon of 2% milk is a pound heavier than the Sig with tlr2 and RDS.
My M&P with tlr-2 hl g and RMR with 17rds if 147 gr ammo weighs 2# 9oz, the Sig 320 is 2.5 ounces heavier than the M&P, so it would be 2# 12oz or 2 3/4#.

A half gallon if 2% milk weighs 4# 3oz or nearly 1.5# heavier

You mentioned limitations, I doubt a light and RDS would be noticeable while shooting an intruder.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Ohh vey

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can only speak to my own experience...but it is applicable to your planned 5.25 purchase.

I keep an SA XDM 5.25" in 9mm for home defense in my rapid-access home safe. I load the magazines to 18+1 (that is, 18 in the mag versus the rated 19 rounds, plus one in the chamber). I load it with Hornady Critical Duty or Critical Defense Ammunition; I like the "lubricity" of the nickel casings. Over the fall/winter/spring period, I will pull it out of the safe ONCE to clean and lube.
  • I've kept my 5.25 in that configuration, with the same mags, since I bought in, oh, I think it was 2016 or so. It was pretty early after the 5.25 came out, so maybe a year or two earlier.
Every summer, I participate in a Club-Level Defensive Shooting League at our shooting club.
  • I pull out my go-to home defense weapon, the 5.25, the rounds that have been sitting in there for about 9 months with almost-fully loaded magazines.
  • I go ahead and shoot in the League using the two loaded-all-year magazines with the Hornady CD ammo, just to ensure that my weapon is still functioning with that mag and that ammo.
  • And for at least five years, I've never had a malfunction or misfire with my 5.25 shooting that Hornady CD ammo, nor with the magazinesthat have, effectively, been kept under near-full tension for nearly five continuous years.
    • I also happen to keep my of my other magazines loaded with range-quality ammo, but those range from minimum 10 round to about 17. However they're left loaded at the end of each summer and pretty much stay untouched over the early September to late May period..
  • Now, I HAVE had occasional squibs, misfires and ammo-related malfunctions with my cheaper brass-cased ammunition (Magtech). But given that my Hornady CD is flawless in those same mags, I chalk that up to range-quality ammo or running the , not the magazines. I also tend to allow my guns to run kind of dirty during the summer leagues...with the intent of judging what the "feel" is as the gun gets so dirty that it is ready to malfunction. I will lube, but NOT clean the weapon until it is malf-ing.
    • Usually, that point is reached after 4-6 weeks of shooting 60-120 rounds per week.
    • The "tells" are that the slide starts to feel a little gummy when I rack it....and I don't hear crisp mechanical sounds...they start sounding kind of muffled.
      • Soon after, I start getting light primer strikers, which of course leads to Type 1 malfunctions. If I push it long enough, Type 2s and an occasional Type 3 also show up, and become ever more frequent as I continue to shoot. Ultimately, I end up with perpetual Type 1s, and no amount of rack, flip, tap can keep it from repeating ad nauseum. (I only went that far once!!)
    • I know -- I shouldn't get into the habit of running my gun dirty. But, I know no other way of learning when the malfunction point is ABOUT to be reached, so that in the future, should that knowledge ever be needed, I will the muscle memory in my head. Better to know when to change weapons BEFORE the 1st malfunction shows up, is my theory.
      • If you know a better way to learn that type of
Why do I keep my XDMs loaded to 18+1 instead of 19+1? Three reasons:
  • Older shooter lore: advice from guys that have been doing firearms for decades, whereas I just started in 2011 or so.
  • Various articles I read early on in my firearms journey...supposedly, keeping the mags at fully-loaded tension may or may not mess up the spring, but the pressure on the feed lips is more likely to deform those precise surfaces...and you end up with malfunctions, failure to seat, FTF, etc.
  • My personal experience. I noticed that when I loaded magazines to full capacity, they were harder to seat into the well, would quite often fall out of the pistol when I pulled the trigger, and were more likely to jam on that first shot.
    • Now, I'm just a typical middle-of-the-pack recreational shooter, and definitely not a Navy SEAL by any stretch of my hugest Walter Mitty fantasy.
    • So, part of the problem probably was caused by my personal failure to slam the magazines in with sufficient force..
    • But I am who I am...so I adapt my equipment to my aging body and eyes, not the other way around.
    • And I prefer 18+1 superb reliability over 19+1 pretty-good reliability.
  • And now, I guess, it's just out of force of habit. It is what has worked for me.
I could take a bunch of photos of all the equipment and stuff, but that won't actually prove that I do what I've explained. You can take me at my word.

Respectfully,

Jim

p.s.: I've owned several XD and XDMs of various types since 2009 as my primary weapons -- though I rotated around between them, before settling on the 5.25 for home defense purposes. I've owned and used probably 30 or so different XD magazines. In all that time, I've only had one XD or XDM magazine go bad, that was an XDM mag that I believe managed to land squarely on the feed lips onto a sharp rock. It put the slightest of dents on one edge of the feed lips, and apparently changed the alignment of the feed lip. It never worked properly again, but that's not a magazine failure, it's just how the business goes once in a while.
Anyway, I love the XD/M magazines, I've now shot many thousand rounds through them, and except for that one fmag ailure (which I simply couldn't fix, no matter how I tried) I've never had a problem with them. Indeed, I've never even replaced a single magazine spring in all that time.
BTW, I keep that failed magazine to give me reliable malfunctions (Type 3) to practice on. Waste not, want not.

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
That is a WONDERFUL first post, @RusherJim - welcome to XDTalk! (y)

Based on your usage, depending on how many cycles you've seen through those mags, you may want to consider dropping them to training-only status or to simply replace the magazine springs, either now or after your coming match this year.

You can see in the M4C.net out-link buried in my earlier reply to the OP of this thread (Recommendations for leaving defense handguns fully...) when I started seeing issues, and given your dual-use of this gun, I would encourage you to stay well ahead of that round-count. :)

In terms of that "seating bounce" that is causing you issues, I think it is very reasonable - the concession that you've made - with dynamic reloads. On the administrative level, that staged "ready-gun" can be achieved with 19+1 full-capacity, with certainty, if you take the time to insure that the magazine is well-seated (by pulling on the base-pad when loading the weapon in-hand; if loading administratively when the weapon is holstered at your waist, a quick "flick" to the base-pad will achieve the same), should you desire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is a WONDERFUL first post, @RusherJim - welcome to XDTalk! (y)

Based on your usage, depending on how many cycles you've seen through those mags, you may want to consider dropping them to training-only status or to simply replace the magazine springs, either now or after your coming match this year.

You can see in the M4C.net out-link buried in my earlier reply to the OP of this thread (Recommendations for leaving defense handguns fully...) when I started seeing issues, and given your dual-use of this gun, I would encourage you to stay well ahead of that round-count. :)

In terms of that "seating bounce" that is causing you issues, I think it is very reasonable - the concession that you've made - with dynamic reloads. On the administrative level, that staged "ready-gun" can be achieved with 19+1 full-capacity, with certainty, if you take the time to insure that the magazine is well-seated (by pulling on the base-pad when loading the weapon in-hand; if loading administratively when the weapon is holstered at your waist, a quick "flick" to the base-pad will achieve the same), should you desire.
Thanks for the kind words -- and sorry for the long delay in responding. I don't get onto the forum very often.

I take your point about replacing magazine springs...and I reckon it is time to buy a supply of them against that need. What with recent shortages and such, it seems prudent to do so BEFORE the time of need. That time is indeed coming.

If I may ask a separate question -- When should I plan on replacing my XDM barrels?? I've detect no discernible loss of accuracy in any of my XDMs...certainly, these pistols are more capable and accurate than I am, as the user. But, surely there will come a day when I'll need to replace those, too.

MODERATORS: If I'm straying too far from the original post in this thread, I apologize and will repost as appropriate.

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Thanks for the kind words -- and sorry for the long delay in responding. I don't get onto the forum very often.
Hey, nothing to apologize for! Real-life >> Forums. :)

I take your point about replacing magazine springs...and I reckon it is time to buy a supply of them against that need. What with recent shortages and such, it seems prudent to do so BEFORE the time of need. That time is indeed coming.
Be sure to match the right style spring with the right based: the older "notched" version and the modern "straight" are not cross=compatible.

If I may ask a separate question -- When should I plan on replacing my XDM barrels?? I've detect no discernible loss of accuracy in any of my XDMs...certainly, these pistols are more capable and accurate than I am, as the user. But, surely there will come a day when I'll need to replace those, too.
I honestly wish I knew...

I have yet to receive any data-point on this. There have been multiple reliable reports of longevity overall in the 50K+ rounds range, but nothing that really have tracked barrel-life in terms of accuracy/precision.

Sadly, I didn't know enough about the sport when I first started to know that I should have benchmarked its performance at the time. All I can say is that I can just as easily ring my Tac Strike 1/4 scale at 100 yards today (freestyle) as I could 10 years ago, when I purchased the gun second-hand from my friend, using range-fodder FMJ 115 gr 9x19. At the minimum, this pistol has 55,000 live-fire on it. My other two higher-use XDms (both 3.8 Compacts, also 9mm) have round counts that are 20 to 30K less, but they put in the same performance at-distance.

7-yard cloverleafs are still all-day, every-day. I'm a mid-to-high 90s shooter on the 10/10/10, but that's really not a good test of the gun's capabilities. I also embarrassingly have not put in enough true work at the 25 yard line to really get a good feel for that benchmark.

I really wished I knew back then to benchmark it at the 25, off bags! :oops:😅

·
Registered
4 Posts
I really wished I knew back then to benchmark it at the 25, off bags
HAH! Guess I'm the newest member of that particular club!! Never occurred to me, either.

Be sure to match the right style spring with the right based: the older "notched" version and the modern "straight" are not cross=compatible.
THANK YOU for mentioning that...I honestly had no idea there was a difference.

Take care,

Jim

·
Registered
431 Posts
Just load the gun to full capacity +1, stick it in the nightstand, and forget about it. It will work if needed.

Springs do take a set with long term compression, but modern springs are pretty good and last a long time. Buy new magazine springs every 5 years or so and you’ll be in really good shape.

Don’t load 5 rounds into your self defense gun to save a $6 spring. That literally makes no sense. You don’t know how many rounds you’ll need to save your life. Most people assume they could shoot a guy 1-2 times and the fight be over. That’s not always the case. There was a guy that was shot more than 15 times by a cop with .45ACP hollow points and he was still a threat to the cop. People die on their own terms and they can be a threat until they 1) bleed out or 2) central nervous shuts down. Shooting a person a few times may not be enough.

Also, the average cop misses 4 out of 5 shots , so with ten rounds fired , only two are hits. And the average cop is decently trained and certainly more trained than the “average” civilian. Yeah most people on a gun board are decent shooters and not your “average civilian”, but don’t expect to fire 5 shots and get 5 hits. Statistically speaking , you probably will have a similar hit to miss ratio…

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
I almost forgot -

and

@XDm Ed 's 5.25 is holding 1" at 10 yards, at 70k rounds. (y)

21 - 38 of 38 Posts