Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at the Kimber Solo, thought about the Rugers, and even considered Keltec. Does anybody have some advice? I have a regular XD, but I want something that is smaller and that I can conceal carry.

·
Registered
206 Posts
XDm 3.8 Compact. Get the Pearce grip extender and your all set.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Carry whatever you like or shoot best, regardless of size.

The better question is finding a good holster. With the right holster, you can carry the bigger framed handguns,,,with a LOT more rounds.

I carry a fullsize, spare mag, and an LCP as a backup, 2 knives, no problem. Even today in Texas where it reached 101 degreese

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The better question is finding a good holster. With the right holster, you can carry the bigger framed handguns,,,with a LOT more rounds.

I carry a fullsize, spare mag, and an LCP as a backup, 2 knives, no problem. Even today in Texas where it reached 101 degreese
Yeah I guess I should have mentioned recommendations on a holster as well. So give me the combo, recommendation on the pistol and a holster to go with it, provide pictures if you personally own the setup.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
What is your basic criteria? Give us some features you must have and ones you can live without.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
XDsc in either 9mm or 40SW...Great CCW gun...

·
Registered
439 Posts

This

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I Pocket Carry the Kel-Tec PF-9 18hrs/7days in a Galco PRO 460.
I can also Conceal Carry my XD9sc easily in either a SuperTuck, or OWB in a (locally made) leather belt holster similar to this.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Well it has to have a push button safety, not one like the XD's have. Caliber is not that big of a deal, I was thinking probably .9mm
Any particular reason that you want an external safety? In the proper holster, a handgun without an external safety is completely, 100% safe to carry.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I'm one of those who thinks that a CC gun is a very personal thing. It has to fit in with your particular life style. A full size pistol is usually more accurate, but if it's uncomfortable to carry you won't carry it for long. Caliber is important, but it's not everything as it depends on what you yourself shoot the best. I carry a few different pistols from time to time but if I had to pick one and only one it hands down would be the Kahr PM9. It's size, weight,and reliability, and how accurately I shoot it along with not having to dress around it just makes it the right choice for me to CC. My advice would be take your time check out as many pistols as you personally can and see what works best for you. A CC pistol IMO should feel and fit like body part.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
M&P has a thumb safety option. As does XD. I even think that some outfit has an after market for the glocks. To each his own but my carry guns have one safety, my finger. I want it to go boom, not click then boom. I have spent an intermitable amout of time practicing finger disipline from the draw and back to the holster. If your not willing to go that extra mile in training then better stick with the thumb safety.

·
Banned
744 Posts
I can say I was in you position about 3 months ago. I decided on the xdm compact 40. I got a IWB Comp Tac MTAC holster. I can tell you for me personaly, its way to big and heavy to conceal comfortably. I'm not a small guy either. The grip rubs my back and side pretty good too.

I want it to not even feel like its there like others have said. For me its hard to sit down with the 40 on. I'm always thinking about it too because I can feel it. Maybe I haven't carried long enough. Kind of disappointed in myself for not looking around more before I spent all that money.

I'm considering the Kahr CM9 now with a pocket holster.

Also, screw having a manual safety on a concealed carry piece. The last thing you wan to do is ad an extra step. People will tell you it only takes a split second to disengage it. However, how many of them have disengaged it in a life or death situation? You're going to want to pull and shoot.

Could you imagine your adrenaline pumping in a life or death scenario, you draw and pull the trigger to save your life only to not have it go bang because you didnt flip the safety?

Don't put your finger on the trigger until you're ready to fire and you don't need a stinking safety.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Automag .44? :shock: J.K.

I vote for XDsc, Ruger SR9c or LCR 9, Glock 26-27

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Kahr PM9 or CM9.
XDsc in either 9mm or 40SW...Great CCW gun...

There are a lot of smaller good pistols/ revolvers out there for conceal carry(see aove for some). Get out there and do some shopping(have some fun). Handle some , test the trigger pull, see how they feel(how natural do they aim for you and double or single stack. I chose the Walther PPS 9mm for my EDC firearm and i also went with the Taurus TCP 738 for a pocket piece(alot of days i have both on me).
Have fun with your search.

·
Registered
886 Posts

Naw... carry a Desert Eagle 50 cal with suspenders to hold it all up:shock:

Just kidding...good question now that its summer time been trying to figure this out also. Seems like a IWB would sweat you to death. For some reason I can't even carry a pocket knife without it printing, because I thought about some kind of pocket gun. Know a couple of guys do that full time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts