Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to get in to reloading and want the most efficient reloader without selling my first born son, ive looked in to the lee loadmaster and the dillon 650. I just want the most bang for the buck!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Well, it would not be a Lee IMO. Efficiency in any tool for me is that the tool does it's job 100% of the time w/ as little input from me as possible. That is not any Lee progressive. While they all have their quirks, the Dillon 550B is probably the best bang for the buck.
It's dead bang simple, that makes it efficient. No case feeder, good design, manual indexing gives you more options in loading (easier to load single rounds or fix problems). I love my 650, but use my 550B for all my handgun ammo & 308. The 650 remains setup as a high production 45acp or 45colt rig. The LNL is slightly better buy, especially in a auto indexing rig, & if you ever think of adding a case feeder, then the LNL is a better buy. IMO, the 650 is the best of the currently designed, affordable progressives. Deisgned for a case feeder, it is pretty reliable w/ the best priming system going. Either of the three will get you above 450rds/hr & make exc , reliable ammo w/ little fuss.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Well, it would not be a Lee IMO. Efficiency in any tool for me is that the toll does it's job 100% of the time w/ as little input form me as possible. That is not any Lee progressive. While they all have theirquirks, the Dillon 550B is probably the best bang for the buck.
It's dead bang simple, that makes it effiecient. No case feeder, good design, manual indexing gives you more options in loading (easier to load single rounds or fix problems). I love my 650, but use my 550B for all my handguna mmo & 308. The 650 remains setup as a high production 45acp or 45colt rig. The LNL is slightly better buy, especially in a auto indexing rig, & if you ever think of adding a case feeder, then the LNL is a better buy. IMO, the 650 is the best of the currently designed, affordable progressives. Deisgned for a case feeder, it is pretty reliable w/ the best priming system going.

Good advice but they DO make a case feeder for the Dillon 550B. I know because I have one and after getting it tuned in, works fantastic. best deal for the money is a Dillon 550B. If you want to change calibers, its a breeze to do. If you ever want to upgrade to a case feeder, you can do that as well although the case feeder does need a caliber change kit when you change calibers and requires some minor tuning again (my only complaint about the case feeder). I bought a second powder measure so when its time to change calibers, I simply remove the entire toolhead and replace it with another one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS GUYS....I was leaning more towards the Dillon's anyway after watching youtube, looks like ill be ordering a Dillon 650!

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
THANKS GUYS....I was leaning more towards the Dillon's anyway after watching youtube, looks like ill be ordering a Dillon 650!
Their customer service is so good that I have called them a few days before a big match and told them a decapping pin broke and they rushed me 3 more! Any issues I have had, they take care of, no questions asked. You will be very happy with your machine once you have it tuned in and running. Not to mention its a lifetime no BS warranty.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Their customer service is so good that I have called them a few days before a big match and told them a decapping pin broke and they rushed me 3 more! Any issues I have had, they take care of, no questions asked. You will be very happy with your machine once you have it tuned in and running. Not to mention its a lifetime no BS warranty.

This is actually the same with Hornady. When I smashed the retaining spring (my fault), they sent me 3 more, even though it was no fault of their product. They probably all do this, to compete with Dillon.

I love my Lock n Load AP. With auto case feeder, I can crank out 1000 rounds in no time. I've used Dillons before too and have no complaints.

I chose Hornady over Dillon because I didn't want to pay extra just to have Blue paint.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Good advice but they DO make a case feeder for the Dillon 550B. I know because I have one and after getting it tuned in, works fantastic. best deal for the money is a Dillon 550B. If you want to change calibers, its a breeze to do. If you ever want to upgrade to a case feeder, you can do that as well although the case feeder does need a caliber change kit when you change calibers and requires some minor tuning again (my only complaint about the case feeder). I bought a second powder measure so when its time to change calibers, I simply remove the entire toolhead and replace it with another one.
Yes, I know they cobbled a case feeder together for the 550B, but many report issues with it so I can't recommend one. The 650, designed specifically for a case feeder & while nothing is flawless, it works pretty damn good. What makes the 550B so great IMO is the simplicity of manual indexing & no case feeder. At an easy 450rds/hr, few need more press than that. It's economical & easy to do caliber changes on, why I use it for 308 & 8 diff pistol calibers. Set the dies in complete tool heads & just swap the powder measures. Dedicated measures would be super fast to swap calibers, but expensive & I tinker w/ loads all the time, so resetting the measure is pretty normal for me.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'll stir up trouble by recommending a lee loadmaster...

yes it has it's quirks, but if you're like me that likes to tinker, then it works once you've got it adjusted just right...

if you're very busy and time is money, spend the money on the 650...

I reload about 50-100 rounds at a time when I feel like it... my loadmaster makes it happen very quickly...

now and then it malfunctions, but what doesn't? (I know somebody will answer Dillon)

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I'll stir up trouble by recommending a lee loadmaster...

yes it has it's quirks, but if you're like me that likes to tinker, then it works once you've got it adjusted just right...

if you're very busy and time is money, spend the money on the 650...

I reload about 50-100 rounds at a time when I feel like it... my loadmaster makes it happen very quickly...

now and then it malfunctions, but what doesn't? (I know somebody will answer Dillon)
There it is in a nut shell. When looking for a press to save you time during reloading, why would anyone WANT to tinker with one? If you want to setup your press & get 300rds/hr right off the bat, the Dillon 550B is pretty easy to work with. All mechanical devices have issues. The better designed/made ones have fewer issues. So you can spend your precious time reloading or tinkering w/ your press, your call. It's why I would NEVER buy or recommend a Lee progressive.

·
Registered
354 Posts
When looking for a press to save you time during reloading, why would anyone WANT to tinker with one?

everybody has different abilities and interests... I like to tinker with stuff... I try to fix something because I can and it's therapeutic..

I also don't need 300 rds per hour...

50 rounds in half an hour or less is fine with me...

from my last post to this, I just loaded 50 rounds... and to me that's more than I need for now

honestly, dillon's are great for high volume loaders... I'm not one of those...

I bought a loadmaster because it won't be boring (I hate monotonous work)... also caliber changes are cheap.. and it has the simplest and most efficient cartridge feeder...

I almost bought a dillon... but decided to try the loadmaster to see if it works (cheap enough to try and give up if I didn't like it)...

and interestingly enough it's a well engineered piece of equipment that is manufactured at a lower cost (higher tolerance) but still works for it's intended purpose...

so if you shoot low volume (less than 500 rds a month) then this one's for you... but plan on spending some time tinkering... (tinkering is FUN:D )

I personally lose interest in what I'm doing after loading 50rds so I rarely load more than that at a time..

honestly buy a dillon unless you are mechanically inclined and like to figure out why something works... a well adjusted loadmaster works great for the volume I load... if you shoot more than you have time, then get a dilon 650

to the OP, figure out why you're reloading and get the right equipment for the job... my loadmaster works just fine... every now and then I get a squib load, but I catch it before I put the bullet... people who claim the loadmaster doesn't work, simply don't understand enough of the engineering of the machine to make the simple necessary adjustments (yes something as simple as screw tightness of the case loader makes a huge difference)

and remember to always have fun whatever you do...

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
everybody has different abilities and interests... I like to tinker with stuff... I try to fix something because I can and it's therapeutic..

from my last post to this, I just loaded 50 rounds... and to me that's more than I need for now

I bought a loadmaster because it won't be boring (I hate monotonous work)... also caliber changes are cheap.. and it has the simplest and most efficient cartridge feeder...

I almost bought a dillon... but decided to try the loadmaster to see if it works (cheap enough to try and give up if I didn't like it)...

and interestingly enough it's a well engineered piece of equipment that is manufactured at a lower cost (higher tolerance) but still works for it's intended purpose...

so if you shoot low volume (less than 500 rds a month) then this one's for you... but plan on spending some time tinkering... (tinkering is FUN:D )

I personally lose interest in what I'm doing after loading 50rds so I rarely load more than that at a time..

honestly buy a dillon unless you are mechanically inclined and like to figure out why something works... a well adjusted loadmaster works great for the volume I load... if you shoot more than you have time, then get a dilon 650

to the OP, figure out why you're reloading and get the right equipment for the job... my loadmaster works just fine... every now and then I get a squib load, but I catch it before I put the bullet... people who claim the loadmaster doesn't work, simply don't understand enough of the engineering of the machine to make the simple necessary adjustments (yes something as simple as screw tightness of the case loader makes a huge difference)

For s shooter w/ your needs, the Lee Classic Turret is better made, more functional press. One can easily do 150rds/hr on it & it doesn't have the LM or P1000 quirks. I understand some guys like to tinker, I am one of those, but when it comes to buying a tool to do the job, I do not want to tinker w/ the tool, but get the job done. For that reason, I do not buy cheap tools, but tools that work as intended w/ a low % of breakage. If I want to tinker, I'll go take the toaster apart.;)

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
I like my Hornady LNL - good features and design for the price.

Enjoy the lock and load feature - 1/4 turn pops in and out dies. Especially nice if need to skip a step in process, for example running some cases that have already been resized and decapped, just pop out that die. I bought extra LNL powder meters for each of my four calibers so the drop amounts are locked for each - just need to insert, confirm weight on scale of course to be safe, and go.

Got the press on sale. Got the 500 free bullets (although must pay shipping and handling). Wish Hornady would allow higher numbers of cheaper FMJs instead of only top of their line HP/XTPs. I used those bullets for target practice just like regular FMJs or lead because don't carry my reloads, although I guess there was some benefit to run a bunch of HPs through my new SR1911.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts

I agree totally! I use both the loadmaster and the pro 1000 and they are both good presses.

I do load a large volume with the loadmaster and it works fine as long as you pay attention to what you are doing and can read and follow instructions.

don

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I agree totally! I use both the loadmaster and the pro 1000 and they are both good presses.

I do load a large volume with the loadmaster and it works fine as long as you pay attention to what you are doing and can read and follow instructions.

don
So all the guys that have problems w/ the Lee presses can't read or follow instructions? I think not. The issue w/ Lee is it's quirky & the insautructions don't address the quirks.

·
Registered
354 Posts
For s shooter w/ your needs, the Lee Classic Turret is better made, more functional press. One can easily do 150rds/hr on it & it doesn't have the LM or P1000 quirks. I understand some guys like to tinker, I am one of those, but when it comes to buying a tool to do the job, I do not want to tinker w/ the tool, but get the job done. For that reason, I do not buy cheap tools, but tools that work as intended w/ a low % of breakage. If I want to tinker, I'll go take the toaster apart.;)
I got the LM because of the casefeeder. Works great. Also like the FCD but the auto prime can be quirky when near empty

·
Registered
354 Posts
So all the guys that have problems w/ the Lee presses can't read or follow instructions? I think not. The issue w/ Lee is it's quirky & the insautructions don't address the quirks.
Not necessarily but likely too busy or impatient to take the time to understand how it works so it can be adjusted properly. And likely not mechanically inclined. If you can break dow your guns trigger group you can make a loadmaster work. Now whether you want to is your choice. Its not plug and play but its not crap either

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Not necessarily but likely too busy or impatient to take the time to understand how it works so it can be adjusted properly. And likely not mechanically inclined. If you can break dow your guns trigger group you can make a loadmaster work. Now whether you want to is your choice. Its not plug and play but its not crap either
I don't mean to offend anyone w/ my opinion on Lee stuff, many guys take it personaly. I have some Lee gear, so it's not like I have no ref. I have played w/ the Lee rpogressives. Once you load on a non quirky press that doesn't break little plastic parts or needs constant babying & tinkering, you rarely want to load on anything else.
It's funny how guys get all concerned about their investment in gear when they have been happily paying $1200/yr for ammo. Take 3/4 of that, buy a Dillon, reload & be happy about it. If I were only needing 150rds/wk, I could be fine doing that on a ss press, in fact did for many years. The Lee CT is the next step up for the serious casual pistol reloader. If one needs 500/wk, a jump beyond that to a robust & durable progressive is really what is needed IMO. This is based on loading 3000rds/M a few years ago. My Dillon gear has never borken down, never. I doubt many Lee owners can say they have loaded excess of 100K rds w/o a parts breakage. Just food for thought for the newbs.
BTW, the LFCD, an ingenious solution to a non existent problem IMO. They can actually cause as many issues as they solve, especially if shooting lead or plated bullets.

·
Registered
354 Posts
this will be my last post on this topic as I think i've said enough...

I eventually I may buy a dillon 650 if my shooting volume goes up...

until then my loadmaster suits my needs....

I just wanted to point out that it's not crap like some people would like us to believe... (not pointing to anybody on this forum) I'm sure my ammo shoot's as well as a dillon produced ammo... efficiency and time is the only factor (you get more out of the dillon)...

to those thinking of reloading, don't overlook the lee loadmaster just because all the pros and high volume shooters use a dillon... just make sure you know what you're buying and you know how to make it work... youtube is helpful for this...

have fun shooting... if you have money for a dillon by all means get one... for me that's a few thousand rounds of bullets I can buy for the difference....

1 - 20 of 42 Posts