Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a .308. I am a little limited on funds... just looking for the rifle now and a quality scope later.

I have a rem 700 vtr in .223 and love it, with black hills ammo the rifle (not always me :eek: ) will shoot groups that can easily be covered by a quarter at 200 yds... now I want to get a .308 for larger critters/ longer shots.

I've thought about another vtr but would like to look into other options. This will be for range/deer/varmint.

Thank you for any advise.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
The best out of the box for the money .308 is hands down the Remington 700 MilSpec 308 SS 24" 5-R Barrel.

I owned one for years and routinely made reliable hits out to 1000yds. .35moa at 100yds on average.

call me 913-755-3139 if you want to ask me any questions about it. I have all the best load data on it as well as photos if you want.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Like everything else, it depends on what features you want. I've taken two stock 700s (VLS and SPS), done nothing but change the stock, free float, bipod, and lighten the trigger slightly and both are sub 1MOA rifles. The 26" has even hit steel at 1018 yards. I can't speak to best but both started out as $600 used rifles so any basic Savage, 700, Tika, etc can make a good hunting rifle depending on what features and functions you want. Accurate longer range shooting, however, is more about the shooter once you get at least average equipment but if you are holding half minute groups at 200 yards then I guess you know that. Don't skimp on the glass and rings though. At distance, good glass is key.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ... I've learned that on the optics. The Nikon I have really showed me the difference. As far as features... just a good basic rifle. I'll look those up.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I got a killer deal a few months back, but a hardly used Savage10 .308, 6-24x50 vortex scope for $525. Its a 22in fluted bull barrel. My first time with it, I was shooting 1inch with the 1st 5shots and put the rest of the 15rounds of the box in the 2in zone. But it is a gun that I need more trigger time with and for hunting, its a bit heavy. Good luck with your search. I'd say Rem700, Savage 10, Howa and Stevens are the best for the money.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Weatherby Vanguard is another good option, I also cannot recomend the Howa M1500 enough. Both are built around the Howa action and can be purchased for a reasonable price. Howa also sells barreled actions if you want to go semi-custom and choose your own stock.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
eaa zastava 98 is also a rifle I would tell you to look into. A buddy of mine bought one and a Nikon Prostaff and it shoots very well. The whole package we put together was about $600, maybe less. Remmington uses the same action and barrel for one of their rifles that cost about $850. They are hammer forged barrels also. Very nice rifle if you ask me.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Look at the Marlin X7 as well. Just picked mine up. EXCELLENT trigger out of the box, and it's user-adjustable as well. It's got a lot of features that are above its price class. It also includes a scope mount, already mounted. It does lack a detachable magazine or floorplate though, my only complaint. No biggie though, if you're using it mainly for hunting or range play. It also seems like the bolt has a long rotation, but again, no big deal for me. You'll only find this rifle at LGS; Marlin doesn't supply it to big box stores. They wanted to give LGS a competitive edge at this price point. Oh, and it's 100% made in AMERICA.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Gonna throw in another vote for the howa 1500 in .308. I just received one as a presant and love the thing. The action is as smooth as butter compared to my Ruger m77. It is also quite acurate from what i can tell so far, havnt logged much trigger time.

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Savage 10 or 11, great rifles

·
Registered
532 Posts
I won two Weatherby rifles (made by Howa) with synthetic stocks. Love both of them because they are scary accurate out of the box. Savage Model 10 is also very accurate. These rifles give you the best bang for the buck.

·
Premium Member
127,706 Posts
I have been very pleased with my Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308. It has a 20" bull barrel, a Nikon Monarch 8-24x50mm scope, and a Harris bipod. It is dialed in to a .321 MOA.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Another 2nd for the Howa/Weatherby. Take it for what it is, as I dont have one yet (lol) but I've also been planning a low budget .308 rifle set-up and I finally landed on the Howa 1500 varmint barrel based on online reviews and recommendations. Start looking around and trust me that for the price you wont find anything better. I've handled a few now and the trigger is the best feature. Self adjustable with no creep or overtravel. Go handle one and you'll love it.

·
Banned
98 Posts
larger critters don't require varmint type accuracy. In fact, you can't deliver such accuray in the field, since only varminting allows the use of a sandbagged bench, along with beanfied deer harvesting (can't call THAT "hunting"). I'd look for a used Remington 748, etc, autorifle. Then you have a fast second shot for stopping a fleeing cripple, handling a dog pack, human enemies, or a charge by a wounded elk, bear, or moose, etc. No bolt action can offer you anything like that sort of speed of your repeat shot. They all take 1.2 seconds or longer for a repeat hit, while the autoloader can give you that repeat hit in .30 second, measured on an electronic shooting timer.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I don't know what limited funds means to you but.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts