Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use to shoot a 357 S&W over 25 years ago with OK results. Yes, I'm almost older than dirt. Last Sunday I took my new XDm 40 :D out to the local range. My time was limited since the guy running the place had to leave soon but I got a hurried 75 rounds in at mostly 21 feet. I was shooting poorly :oops: and it looks like I was shooting down and a little to the left. It looks like I was trying to hold the recoil back when I should not have. What shooting distance is recommended to help me get back into the saddle of shooting with somewhat reasonable accuracy and to be able to better analyze my shooting patterns for faults? Do any of you recommend any particular style of a target to use to help determine shooting patterns?

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try the different back straps next time you go to the range. Some people report they can control the left pull flinch a bit better using a different grip fit. Good luck!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I'm already considering trying the smaller grip. It would probably be better for my wife's hands too and I'll get a chance to see if I have any of the grip cracking issues some of the folks here have had.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will look for some snap caps in my local stores. If they do not have them then I'll try the place where I buy some ammo in bulk.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was having the same issue at first. The small backstrap helped a bit for me - no cracks. It is a recoil anticipation thing. If I relax, then pick up the gun, put it on target, and fire, I don't usually have the problem. However, If I keep the gun up and keep trying to hit the bullseye, after the first 3 or so shots, they start going down and left. If I put the gun down and relax between shots, and control my breathing, I do far better.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was having the same issue at first. The small backstrap helped a bit for me - no cracks. It is a recoil anticipation thing. If I relax, then pick up the gun, put it on target, and fire, I don't usually have the problem. However, If I keep the gun up and keep trying to hit the bullseye, after the first 3 or so shots, they start going down and left. If I put the gun down and relax between shots, and control my breathing, I do far better.
This is exactly what I'm doing as well. I've found the more I dry fire at home and the more I go to range, the more rounds I get in the black before the low left kicks in.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Here you go, Try these.

Remember, not to anticipate the recoil. do not pull the trigger, do not jerk the trigger, do not squeeze the trigger... just Press... Remember...Presssss. If you take any kind of training, you'll learn the correct way to grip the weapon, and press the trigger.

Good Luck.

Lot of dry firing... Lots of practice.....

http://www.tackdriver.com/pix0703/correction.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/grp-analysis.pdf

As always, Stay Safe.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here you go, Try these.

Remember, not to anticipate the recoil. do not pull the trigger, do not jerk the trigger, do not squeeze the trigger... just Press... Remember...Presssss. If you take any kind of training, you'll learn the correct way to grip the weapon, and press the trigger.

Good Luck.

Lot of dry firing... Lots of practice.....

http://www.tackdriver.com/pix0703/correction.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/grp-analysis.pdf

As always, Stay Safe.

Some pretty good stuff xd.40nut.....thanks!

·
Registered
294 Posts
You are More than welcome. That is what we are all here for.

As always, Stay Safe.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have experienced some FTF issues with some of my magazines. The problem always occurs within the last 3 rounds in the magazine so I have been using 3 round loads for function testing. Which caused me to stumble on and effective way to warm up, that is shooting 3 round loads. The extra time loading gives you enough of a break to relax a bit and I saw a big improvement in shooting failure drills. By the end of a 100 round test with WWB (100% perfect function, a big improvement) I was putting both rounds of the double tap into the 10 ring and was well centered on the head shot, at 40 feet.

My advice, try shooting 3 round loads, starting at 20 feet and work the target back as you improve.

BTW, shooting left, for a righty, usually indicates too much finger on the trigger. Shooting low indicates that your "pushing" the gun in anticipation of recoil. Snap caps gan be a great aid in spotting these issues, even if you load the magazine yourself, just set it aside until you forget the exact placement of the snap caps.

PS, had 1 FTF with Remington 180 gr. UMC with my # 3 magazine which I had not yet used. Took a bit of diamond lapping compound to it and polished the feed lips this week and will find out today if the reason why my #1 magazine is so reliable is that it's been used the most.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So guys, should I start at 20 feet from the target and work back or should I start closer in?

·
Registered
35 Posts
You will get no sympathy from me at all. I have to sing Happy Birthday to myself ever morning just so that I can remember my name! There is a wonderful site pistol-training.com that has a bunch of drills for you to practice. Start close and use 3x5 cards and the dot torture drill. Once you can do those you can move on to more advanced practice. As said previously, dry fire and grip. Trigger control, in my view, is the most important aspect of pistol shooting and once that is mastered you will be well on your way to becoming a very fine pistol shot. Pistol games like IDPA offer a fun way to improve also.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would start you out at about 10 feet at first. try that for a while, then as you progress, step back to 15 feet, then 20....

Proper stance, grip, breathing, trigger control, sight picture, etc... all play into this.

Good Luck.

As always, Stay Safe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts