Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently picked up one of these:
Amazon.com: DMT D3EFC 3-inch Dia-Sharp® Sharpener, Credit Card Sized- Extra-Fine, Fine and Coarse Diamond: Home Improvement

Basically it's 3 credit card sized steel plates with diamonds on them used for knife sharpening. You get coarse (45 micron), fine (25 micron, and extra-fine (9 micron). They can be used wet or dry.

They're a *little* bit weighty (being a sheet of steel) if you're really counting your ounces for a backpacking trip but perfect IMHO for camping, bugging out, tossing in the glove box, etc. for when you want a quick refresh on your blade. Hard to beat the size too at the size of 3 credit cards.

I got my set a couple days ago and have already used it on a couple pocket knives. I'm by no means an expert knife sharpener but it worked quite well for me.

Cheers,
G33k

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I just use these 3 Piece 2'' x 6'' Diamond Hone Blocks They used to go on sale for $9.99, couple that with a 20% coupon (that is everywhere in the net) and you get a set for $8.00. I liked it enough to buy 2 extra sets and my first set is still in use!

Not DMT quality but good enough for the price.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Poink88

I looked at those also (LOVE Harbor Freight). The reason I chose not to go with them is the grit options that has. The one you posted has the following grit levels:

blue (coarse 180)
yellow (medium,260)
red (fine, 360)

Using the same measuring units the ones i posted are:

blue (coarse 325)
red (fine 600)
green (extra-fine 1200)

IMO the one you posted is good for sharpening a hatchet, repairing a chipped edge, or doing a quick job while the set I posted will allow you to get a finer edge. I have a couple harbor freight trips in the next week or so, I'll probably pick up one of those :D.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You are right but for "emergency" use, the 260 or 360 grit (for me) is perfect. I wouldn't care for the 600 or 1200 grit at that time. For home use, credit card sized is just not practical to me also (I prefer 2x6 or larger).

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
I like my spyderco sharpmaker a lot. Really it just depends on whatever you know how to use the best. A skilled knifemaker could probably sharpen a knife with a rock better than I could sharpen a knife with a $300 edge pro.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts