Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to pick up a 22 caliber semi auto for my wife and 12 and 9 year old sons. Any recommendations? I've read some reviews and the local shop is recommending a Ruger SR22 but I'm not very educated on what's available and would like recommendations from those that have one. As expected, something dependable and easy to use would be best.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have a S&W M&P22lr. My wife and kids can handle is just fine.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The SR22 is a great choice. I bought one last fall, and I love mine. I like it more than some of the other "target" style .22s, because it is more like a traditional semi-auto, so it is a good practice aid and great for getting my wife and some of my friends introduced to handguns. It is reliable and accurate.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Right now I have a Colt 1911-22 that is nothing but fun to shoot. I decided I needed something else so I have a Ruger 22/45 Lite ordered. I tell myself I'll keep the one that shoots best and sell the other but who am I fooling? If I had been interested in something like the SR-22 I would have probably just got a Walther P22. A coworker has an SR-22 and says it's too small, but that may be a good thing for your needs.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Walther P-22 is pretty nice. Ruger Mark series .22's are sweet as well and get your hands accustomed to a 1911 grip. Decisions, decisions. At least they are all fun decisions!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some great feedback here. I have more homework to do and might just bring along one or both sons next time so they can try them in for size!

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Ruger mark series. A real tack driver and a pleasure to shoot.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I have a Sig Mosquito on the way...I have heard mainly positive things about this newer version, but I can't give you first hand experience yet. I dig SIG's, but can't afford them usually... I won this in a raffle:-D

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
For one that's not too huge to hold and pretty light but absolutely fun and super accurate, a Ruger 22/45 lite. They're very good looking too and typically not picky about the type of ammo you use.

They can be found under 400 bucks typically.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sig Mosquito. It's a great trainer for moving into any other sig product. Fits smaller hands perfectly, but has the same features and functions as most sig pistols. Quite affordable, mostly reliable with the proper mags and decent .22LR ammo.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Buckmark. The best 22 you can buy for less than $1000.00.

You can get basic versions up to high end versions, and a basic one will cost about what a Ruger costs, but be much better. I've owned the Ruger's and they're nice, Buckmarks are better. Better triggers, more accurate, better guns.

Browning Buckmark Standard URX BL 22LR Online Gun Store

Less than 400 bucks.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Walther P-22 is pretty nice. Ruger Mark series .22's are sweet as well and get your hands accustomed to a 1911 grip. Decisions, decisions. At least they are all fun decisions!
Ditto. But I'll warn you my 11 and 13 year old grandsons shot my Walther P22 once then the 9mm, .40 then got their grandfather rent a .45. Now they don't vwznt to shoot my .22 lol.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Ditto. But I'll warn you my 11 and 13 year old grandsons shot my Walther P22 once then the 9mm, .40 then got their grandfather rent a .45. Now they don't vwznt to shoot my .22 lol.
I know that feeling. My son started shooting my .40 Xd at ten and now I can't get the Mark 1 in his hands! What is sad is that even though my shot placement is more accurate, my small wife and son have much better groupings. They can put all 12 in a silver dollar at 30 feet, mine about the size of a gas cap. I love how fast they learn.(tear)!:-D

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I got my wife a M&P 22 which she enjoys shooting. Plus the dimensions are close to the M&P 9mm, so it makes either a good stepping stone, or a good practice gun (if and when 22 ammo ever returns to a decent price).

Bowser

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
Ruger 22/45 Target; $259, free shipping from JoeBob's.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Ruger Mark anything or Browning Buckmark. Hands down.

·
Premium Member
30,890 Posts
As many above have mentioned, the Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mark series. Both of these have been the first semi-auto handgun for millions of new shooters over the decades.

I'm partial to the Buckmark, as that's the path I chose, and both the wife and younger (~14) teen daughter learned on that weapon platform. I had bought both the Buckmark Standard URX and the Buckmark Micro Standard URX new, each were under $400... no idea what they go for now, but don't shy away from a gently used one either.

ETA: One other consideration... the Buckmark take-down for cleaning is a tad easier than the Ruger Mark series. Less frustration for newer shooters also learning gun maintenance.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I have a 22/45 and a Beretta Neos. They are both a total hoot. :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts