Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member from WA (state) here. :)

So the gun show is just right around the corner (next week) and I was thinking about purchasing a new handgun, I was thinking about picking up a Makarov, my budget right now is about $400.
Anyone have any experience with Makarovs? Or know of a better gun for around my budget?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Is this your first handgun?
What is the purpose for the handgun (target, home protection, carry?)

9x18 ammo will be more difficult to find that 9mm or 380ACP.

A Bersa Thunder 380 will fit the budget you outline. But it is less powerful than the 9x18. It's a fun gun, it's not my first choice for self defense but I'd hate to be shot by one.

I just picked up a Ruger SR9C and it was slightly above your budget, but that's because I live in California, it will probably be cheaper up your way. It's slim for a double stack and the trigger is pretty good.

·
Registered
29,742 Posts
You should be able to find a used Glock 17 or 19 for that amount.

I'd also recommend the Ruger P-Series pistols in whatever caliber you are interested in.

You can also find used S&W autos for under that; again, you choice of calibers. Also from S&W, Sigmas and the new SD9&40 come in under $400.

There's a fresh batch of trade-in S&W 65's out there for around $350, if you're into a wheelgun.

Plenty of good choices out there.

And Maks are good guns; however, realize that 9mm Makarov is not what we call a standard 9mm cartridge.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I too would say a Glock 19 or an XD service model in your choice of caliber. For even less than your budget you could probably find a decent used Smith and Wesson 5906 police trade-in or the like.

Is it going to be a conceal carry gun eventually? Might take that into consideration now and buy a multipurpose weapon like a Glock 19 or an XD compact or subcompact.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Can I also just say after watching that video, I hope those two "turds" live really far away. Their handgun safety is piss poor, they came off racist, and I am surprised either one of those guys can operate a gun or a camera. The Hi-Point is what it is, a simple design, cheap, fairly reliable bedside gun. And the failure right off the bat can probably be attributed to limp wristing.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
New member from WA (state) here. :)

So the gun show is just right around the corner (next week) and I was thinking about purchasing a new handgun, I was thinking about picking up a Makarov, my budget right now is about $400.
Anyone have any experience with Makarovs? Or know of a better gun for around my budget?

Thanks!
Personally, I'd hold on to the money and save an additional $100-$200. The $500-$600 range seems to be the sweet spot for some really great, new guns. In that price range, you could get Glock, XD, M&P, CZ, Beretta, etc.

If not, check CDNN (http://www.cdnninvestments.com/). They sell police trade-in as well as some new guns for really good prices. Download their latest catalog. You can get a trade-in S&W 5906 or 6906 including an extra mag or two for less than $400. You can get a new Beretta PX4 Storm or Walther P99 for $440 or a trade-in CZ-82 for less than $200.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just purchased a Ruger SR9, new for $445 out the door. That includes tax and the background fee. I've got about 300 rnds through now and its been great. I would highly recomend trying this one out....I also have an XD9 service model, 1750 rnds and no problems at all, I love that gun.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
My el cheapo pa-63 has not failed me yet. Changed the recoil spring and IMO, is just as good as the Bersa. It's 9X18MM, a tad more power than the .380 and I have no problem finding ammo. 9mm ammo is a little cheaper unless you buy bulk on line, then it's close in price. Not the top of the line for finish, but for under $200 out the door for a gun that is carried concealed the finish doesn't matter to me. It's not a show gun it's a tool for SD.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I say go with a slightly used G19 or XD9 or XD9 sub compact.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Used Glock 19
XD9 service essentials package

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'd get something in 9x19 (parabellum). There are a lot around, and since you're looking at a Makarov, you obviously aren't discounting used. I have an affinity for military calibers, though I have a couple of things that aren't. If SHTF I'd like to be able to fire what I can, um, "liberate" from "the man". Plus it's generally cheaper to fire military/police calibers anyway. Not that 9x18 is a bad load or something, just that you don't see big boxes of it much. There may be a tradeoff between the cheap pistol and the ammo you should consider.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
you can likely find a nice used revolver too.

a Ruger SP101 or GP100 under 400 used would not be an uncommon find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not too worried about an SD gun at the moment, not really a big fan of pocket pistols. I'm mainly looking for something to just go out and have fun with at the range. Chances are there will be a plethora of used Glocks at the gun show though, so I might try on a few of those if the price is right.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Bersa ultra compacts, 9, 40, 45

Stoeger Cougar, 9, 40, 45

Rock Island 1911s, generally 45

Ruger p series

Sig Sauer Sig Pro series, 2022

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Summit Gun Broker has some really nice police trade in Glock 22s and 17s for well under 400 bucks. Good price for pistols that are reliable and indestructible. I own both and swear by them.

There is also the excellent Sig Pro 2022 that sells for around 400 brand new. Another great pistol at a great price.

- brickboy240

1 - 20 of 22 Posts