Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get an AR at some point, and am starting to shop. I know very little about them. I'd like to get something bigger than a .223 -maybe a .308? Can anyone recommend an AR in the $1000 - $1200 range?

Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a S&W MP15 and I love it. It is very accurate. It is not the cheapened sportier, but I hear those are ok.

However, use the search function. A ton of threads on that topic.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'd like to get an AR at some point, and am starting to shop. I know very little about them. I'd like to get something bigger than a .223 -maybe a .308? Can anyone recommend an AR in the $1000 - $1200 range?

Thanks
I hope you realize that it cost a bit more for the .308 rounds, and I'm assuming you are already reloading. Recoil is manageable, and you can shoot it a lot more farther and more accurate on high winds. Check out snipershide.com, they have people there selling their used AR10's for a reasonable price. I've had a DPMS LR308 AP4 for about a year, but unfortunately I have to part that out when I purchased my 1911a1 and XD9T. Definitely heavy, but dead accurate at 500y (I've had 16" barrel) You can purchase a heavy bull barrel 24-26" for ultra long range shooting/hunting. Definitely not a CQB type weapon, unless you've got extreme upper body strength and very good cardio to be running around with it.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Do you realize that your question is a lot like, "I want to buy a golf club. Which one is right for me?"

Find a friend that knows a bit about guns. Take him with you to a gun store that has a lot of ARs. Handle them and find the one you like the best. Ask him "is this a bad choice?" If he says "no" then buy it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
You should really spend time learning about this platform before buying one since you said you know little about them. Use the search feature on here and also check out other forums such as M4Carbine.net and AR15.com.

But I'll answer your question. These are the best for your price range:
BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense, Palmetto State, Spikes Tactical

·
Registered
706 Posts

Thanks
In your price range I'd stick with the AR15 platform. If you are certain you want to move to a 308 then in that price range you'll probably want to look at the DPMS lines. Before you purchase I'd really dig in a decide what you want to use it for. You may still want the 308, but depending on the intended use you may end up with the 5.56X45 or something different altogether like a 6.5 or 6.8. There are many good reasons to choose a specific caliber and it will help you if you weigh those out according to your intended purpose. If you want more information specific to this let us know and we can detail the pros and cons of the different choices.

That's really a good amount to spend for an AR15. In that range you could get something like a Colt or Bravo Company (there are plenty of good brands to choose so I just named a few I know to be good from personal use in your range).

You could also go a different route if you want to and get something like a Spikes Tactical or Palmetto State Armory. You can get into one of those for more like $850 and leaves you some budgeted cash for ammo or optics.

I just threw some suggestions out, but if you let us know what you want to use the AR for we could really narrow down the recommendations. If you want it to fill multiple roles then getting one that has a free float tube and good trigger really helps. Much of this is just personal preference so you may want to search around and see what stands out to you for your intended use.

Here are a few links to look through if you care to. I believe there is a lot of good information to pull from these links, but some folks don't care for them.

Knowledge Based Threads - M4Carbine.net Forums
AR Technical Discussion FAQ/Knowledge Base Threads - M4Carbine.net Forums
Be an informed consumer! - M4Carbine.net Forums
NEW Comparison Chart of Commercial M4 Pattern Carbines - M4Carbine.net Forums

Have fun choosing. Get lots of ammo and take a course and you'll be hooked.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Do you realize that your question is a lot like, "I want to buy a golf club. Which one is right for me?"
</p>
That's a great analogy. I'd add to it ... &quot;I think I want a driver&quot;.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info and links, guys. I'll read, shop, and shoot as I have opportunity. My primary use would be for shorter and mid-range defensive scenario's. I want one that is lighter (under 9 lbs?), in a caliber that is a sufficient stopper. I have two xd's, a short-barrel 870, besides my hunting rifle, and I think an AR would be a nice addition.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Thanks for all the info and links, guys. I'll read, shop, and shoot as I have opportunity. My primary use would be for shorter and mid-range defensive scenario's. I want one that is lighter (under 9 lbs?), in a caliber that is a sufficient stopper. I have two xd's, a short-barrel 870, besides my hunting rifle, and I think an AR would be a nice addition.
I agree that an AR sounds like a nice addition to your collection. You've given us a bit more to work with here. It appears that you already have a 1 Wood, a Sand Wedge and a couple short-range irons. You're maybe looking for a long iron or a short wood. That being the case, I'd suggest 5.56 caliber (you'll shoot it more and be more proficient because ammo is so much cheaper) in a carbine length.

There are plenty of options out there. You'll get more bang for your buck if you're willing to do some of the assembly yourself. Palmetto State Armory has their stripped lowers on sale for $50 right now. That would be a GREAT place to start a build.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Sounds to me like you are tracking.

This stuff is fun to some and bothersome to others. Hopefully it will be fun for you. As you dig in, ask us some questions if we can be of any help.

On the AR15 side it is easy to keep them under 9 lbs. If you jump up to the 308 it get's tough to keep it under 9 lbs total.

Also as you make your decision consider the cost of ammo, availability of ammo, weight of ammo, availability of parts you'd like to stock, barrier penetration, distance you'd like to cover, if other members of your family or group will be able to use your choice, etc. There are other things to consider, of course. Some of these things might matter to you and others might not.

Have fun

1 - 11 of 11 Posts