Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting a folder on my Christmas list. The only catch is that it can't be over $50.00. What would be good?

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
The most popular by far is CRTs M16 series, they don't fit my hands, but most guys on this forum, thats the most common.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Depends on what you want it for. Tactical or hunting/general purpose?

My work/tac knife is a CRKT M-16LE. My GP knife is a Cold Steel Trailguide (now discontinued) and my favorite hunting knife is a Gerber Stallion (also discontinued) but I also really like the Buck folding Hunter.

Take a look at CRKT, Cold Steel and Buck. You can't go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have a couple of SOG folding knives. I like their open assist and the "safety" prevents it opening when you don't want it to.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I love my Kershaw. It is spring loaded and has serades. Got it from walmart for 50+ tax.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Browning sells a Black Knight knife with Black Knight light for $50 bucks, love the flashlight and knife, carry it every day.

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
Cold Steal "borrows" designs without permission from other knifemakers.

In that price range, I'd recommend Spyderco. I think they do the best job at providing great blade steels and geometries, with strong locks, for under $50.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I second the latest reply: Spyderco. Specifically the Endura model. You might have to clip a ten dollar bill to your wish list to keep it to $50 or less. But, it's absolutely worth it.

Merry Christmas. I know you'll enjoy whatever knife you receive.

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
Need a lot more detail on what kind you want. But, +2 for spyderco. Most people buy knives because they look cool. CRKT is a good example. They're too bulky and have bad ergonomics, but people buy them because they're tacticool and have tacticool names like M16. Kershaws...well, I won't even go there. Cold Steel actually makes some good stuff. Look at and handle a voyager. Spyderco's are just about perfect, though they don't get a whole lot of recognition because their knives are only made to cut things, not make you cooler. That being said, my carry knives are always either a spyderco endura or a benchmade griptillian (one handed opening and closing is fairly useful in my line of work). Those are both around $50. Kabar makes a knife called the dozier, you can find them for $20. Same type of steel the crkt's are made out of, but they don't look cool so they're a third of the price. Flame suit on.
PS, after checking recent info on the m16's, looks like they went to AUS4 steel. Which is lower quality than what you get in a $20 dozier. Though this is a move that often makes people think it's better, as softer steel means its easier to sharpen.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Kershaw. I sharpen my son's 2 and I can put razor edges on them easier than any hunting knife I own.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You can't go wrong with CRT. Their quality is top notch.
I have one of the M-16s. I think I got it for like $17. You can sometimes find these being blown out at backcountryoutlet.com or steepandcheap.com. It's not my favorite though. I mostly carry my SOG Twitch...it's is my latest go-to pocket knife. It was like $50 though. If I feel the need to carry something bigger I go with my Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto. That thing is amazing. I've beat the crap out of it for a couple years and it's still going strong.

At least do yourself a favor and order the Cold Steel DVD. It's great for comedic value. They are slicing through leather jackets and pairs of jeans full of meat to demonstrate their knives. It's freaking hilarious!!!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Another vote for Spyderco. I will also throw out Leatherman, although I historically have not been impressed with their knives. I bought one at WalMart for $50 because it had a few things I liked and loaned it out to one of my cadets to take to a three week activity last summer. She loved it and so did everyone that saw it. I almost gave it to her, but decided if it was that good I should probably hang on to it. It is a little large, but that isn't a problem for me.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Benchmade offers some red line knives under $50, also a few in their HK are under that price as well.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
I've carried a Gerber for years, and have been very rough on it. It's been used on more construction sites than I can count, and it's been a great knife. There are definitely better knives out there, but for the price it's hard to beat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's a very personal choice, although Spyderco, Benchmade, CRKT, Cold Steel and Gerber all are very popular with the crowds that train in knife combatives... if that's what you're looking for. But there are a few others. Although they all make great utilitarian knives. I will say that even though I carry a folder for everyday use, I prefer a fixed blade for defense.. I just haven't found the perfect one for me yet.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
The newest American Handgunner has an article about Mantis knives. They aren't for me, but they are definitely unique.
Mantis Knives

1 - 20 of 55 Posts