Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an XD 9 4" that I just installed a Don's Guide Rod in, 22# spring. The recoil is still a little bit too snappy for me. I'm used to shooting a Beretta 92 that doesn't seem to have quite the jarring effect that the XD 9 4" has.

My question is, will the 5" tactical model have a lower recoil effect than the 4" service model does?

·
Registered
200 Posts
as i have mentioned in past posts. i use a non captive rcoil rod in my 9MM XD Tactical.. ( personal prefrence. ) why one would go beyond 20 #"s. spring pressure is beyond me one may think that they do not feel the reciol pressure but im sure that there XD dose. I personaly dont see going beyond a 20# spring . thats my persanal choice.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I wish I could respond to this one, but my test subject is tainted (ported). I do believe after more shooting you will get accustomed to the "recoil".

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't mean to be critical but I don't see that the 9mm Service has much recoil at all. I am shooting it stock and find it very pleasant to shoot. I don't know maybe it's due to the fact that I routinely shoot my XD40 tactical, Kahr K40 and Glock 36 and then switch to my XD9 Service so it seems better compared to those. Do you have any larger caliber handguns?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the XD9 Tactical and an XD40 Service with the EFK 9mm conversion barrel....

This doesn't seem to make sense, I know, but it seems that the Tactical has a "snappy" recoil. My XD40 with the conversion barrel has the OEM captive recoil spring. When firing the same ammo, it seems the XD40 has a "push" rather than a "snap" as for recoil.The XD9 Tactical comes with the traditional guide rod with spring set up....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mpholic said:
I don't mean to be critical but I don't see that the 9mm Service has much recoil at all. I am shooting it stock and find it very pleasant to shoot. I don't know maybe it's due to the fact that I routinely shoot my XD40 tactical, Kahr K40 and Glock 36 and then switch to my XD9 Service so it seems better compared to those. Do you have any larger caliber handguns?
I have a .357Mag K frame S&W which I generally shoot .38s in. .357s are a bit sharp, but not too bad. I also shoot .38s out of my S&W 342 Ti, now that hurts! : :shock:

Remember, as I mentioned in my first post, I'm comming from a Beretta 92 which is 25% heavier than the XD9 service. I see the XD 9 Tactical is almost the same weight as the Beretta. Wonder if I can find someone to trade locally....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bback40, I've got an XD-9 service, an XD-9 Tactical, and a Beretta 92 Inox. Frankly, I've never even thought about the difference in recoil between the three. I do notice a big difference in recoil between the three and my SIG Sport Stock 226, which is quite a bit heavier. If you're recoil sensitive, you might want to check out the SIG or something similar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As always....this is just my opinion.
I have a tac. 9. I came over from a glock 17. The XD by far has less muzzle whip than the Glock. I've shot them back to back and I've shot the service xd back to back and I noticed the service has a quicker "snap" type of recoil, and the muzzle rises more but the sights align rapidly, just like the tactical in rapid fire.

The guy I train with has had the 4" 9 for several months and shoots roughly 2400 rnds. a month and he agrees that the tactical doesn't recoil as much and is now on the quest to get the tactical.

On another note, I let a guy who was shooting a single stack "race" gun try it out the other day. His response was that the my XD tac. recoiled back into the hand, as opposed to up.

I have put 800 rounds through this thing in the 6 days that I've owned it and I'm sold that it is the best shooting 9mm out right now. But keep in mind I was all Glock and I have Taurus PT92 that I've had for about 13 yrs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts