Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've had my XDm 40 for some time now. I also have Pistol-Gear's 9mm and .357 sig conversion barrels. My question is what recoil springs would you recommend for use with the conversion barrels. When firing .357 sig the brass gets thrown about 15 to 20 feet. I also think the stock spring is a bit strong for firing 9mm ammo. I've checked out Pistol-Gears website and seen the assortment of springs they offer. I would like you opinion on what springs to purchase. Thanks.

Kevin

·
Registered
16 Posts
Daves Metal Works sells a kit that includes 3 different recoil springs and a stainless steel guide rod for the XDM that allows you to tune the gun to different loads.

·
Registered
709 Posts
The stock spring should work fine with the 9mm. If you start getting failures, it will most likely be a wrist thing. For .357 Sig, I feel that a 22lb spring works great, just makes the racking rather brisk. I wouldn't go any lower than stock for 9mm (I think it's 18lbs, not sure) and you should play around with heavier springs on the .40 and .357 Sig. I found this to be a fun process because it will make you a connoisseur of recoils. Each weight will have a different character, and you'll judge which one you like best.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
In the XD series, the 40SW and .357SIG are both mfg as standard pistols and use the same identical frame, slide, and recoil springs. Abt 18-18.5 lb compression in the working range of the recoil spring. Not any different with the XDm 40SW when comverted to 357SIG. The stock springs should work fine. However, you can always increase the recoil spring weight as long as the pistol still functions reliably. Heavier springs do close the slide faster and reduce the time for the next round in the mag to be presented for pickup by the slide. The stock springs provide the widest range of commercial ammo use, from the weak to strong power loadings and light to heavy bullet weights. If you are normally shooting only the higher power loads or heavier bullets there is no reason not to bump up the recoil spring weight a couple lbs. I usually use stock or 20lb. Either with stock guide rod or a solid tungsten guide rod. As long as the brass in clearing the ejection port and there is time for reliable feeding of the next round, 22 should usually work also.
For the 9mm conversions, often the stock 40SW spring works. If there are reliability problems of either not fully cycling the slide or of feeding new rounds, then dropping a couple lbs on the recoil spring can help. Because the extractor hook presses the smaller diameter 9mm round slightly offcenter in the breech, having a slower slide closure can allow extra time for the round to align with the chamber when the slide closes. Polishing the feed ramp can also help feeding reliability.9 mm sometimes feeds OK from stock 40SW mags. Bending in the feed lips of a 40SW mag or using dedicated 9mm mags helps hold the top round in proper position for best feeding reliability. I usually use a 16lb spring and dedicated 9mm mags. Your choice could be different.
Different specific combinations within the general range that will all function can be found for the best reliability in individual pistols, shooter style and ammo.
EDit: cutting a spring down doe not change the spring weight, just the length of the action and can result in insufficient in battery compression.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the insight, everyone. I do have two dedicated 9 mm magazines. I will purchase a variety of springs and go do some testing. Thanks again.

Kevin

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Brass ejection distance will tell you what to do with the springs. 3-6 ft is normal. If it's farther you should get a stronger spring. Go up in 2# increments. If the gun has over 5000 rounds you may only need to put in a new stock spring. I've gone way (way) over that number with the factory springs in some guns so there is no need to panic at 5000.

If the gun just dribbles the brass out or you get intermittent FTE you may need to decrease the spring rate.

Naturally, do the testing with the same loads you will be using. Running a light load 115gr for the test and 147gr +P+ for carry and you will get poor performance!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hey all,

I've had my XDm 40 for some time now. I also have Pistol-Gear's 9mm and .357 sig conversion barrels. My question is what recoil springs would you recommend for use with the conversion barrels. When firing .357 sig the brass gets thrown about 15 to 20 feet. I also think the stock spring is a bit strong for firing 9mm ammo. I've checked out Pistol-Gears website and seen the assortment of springs they offer. I would like you opinion on what springs to purchase. Thanks.

Kevin
Is this XDM 40 4.5 inches? Right?! Or the conversion barrels are available for both, 4.5" and 3.8"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts