Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I bought my first 1911 (SA Mil Spec) a few months ago and and I'm not very fimiliar with the 1911 platform. SA is having their Fathers Day sale and I am getting ready to order some extra mags, etc. for my XD and XD(M). They also have "Recoil Spring Guide Rod & Plug Stainless Steel, NM, 2 Piece" for the 1911 on sale for $17.50 and I was thinking about adding it to my order. Is this something you guys would recommend or should I leave well enough alone?
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I always advise folks that they should have a reason for "upgrading" so ... why are you making the change? There are a ton of opinions on the benefit of a FLGR so I'll stay away from that but with a two piece GR, you need to be aware that you will need an allen wrench to disassemble and that some folks have issues with the rod unscrewing. Getting a one piece rod is better option for some that like FLGRs. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always advise folks that they should have a reason for "upgrading" so ... why are you making the change? There are a ton of opinions on the benefit of a FLGR so I'll stay away from that but with a two piece GR, you need to be aware that you will need an allen wrench to disassemble and that some folks have issues with the rod unscrewing.
Rod, Thanks for the feedback. My 1911 shoots great as is so I don't really need to make a change but while everything is 30% off at SA, I thought it would be a good time to purchase if it was something that would be an improvement to my 1911. With the items I currently have in my "shopping cart" the guide rod has very little impact on the shipping cost. If it won't improve the function of the gun I will just buy an additional mag!
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Rod, Thanks for the feedback. My 1911 shoots great as is so I don't really need to make a change but while everything is 30% off at SA, I thought it would be a good time to purchase if it was something that would be an improvement to my 1911. With the items I currently have in my "shopping cart" the guide rod has very little impact on the shipping cost. If it won't improve the function of the gun I will just buy an additional mag!
Thanks,
Jeff
Strictly a personal pref thing.

·
Registered
968 Posts
If you would like to add a little weight to the muzzle, then, by all means, go with the FLGR. If you like the way the gun balances in your hand now, spend the money on ammo.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I always switch FLGR's out for the GI rod and plug. A FLGR doesn't bring anything to the design and actually adds unnecessary steps to disassembly. The Government was designed to be charged (if necessary), by pushing the plug down on a table or solid rest, causing the slide to cycle and feed a round.

I prefer to be able to field strip without tools, by hand.

·
Registered
588 Posts
i always switch flgr's out for the gi rod and plug. A flgr doesn't bring anything to the design and actually adds unnecessary steps to disassembly. The government was designed to be charged (if necessary), by pushing the plug down on a table or solid rest, causing the slide to cycle and feed a round.

I prefer to be able to field strip without tools, by hand.
amen!

Cx

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
If the gun already runs 100%...yes...just buy more mags or maybe some grips. No need in turning a 100% reliable gun into a possible jam-o-matic that is harder to field strip.

But then many LOVE to take a perfectly running 1911 and add enough doo dads to turn it into a "problem/project" gun.

Why people do this.....I do not know.

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your advice. I went ahead and ordered extra mags.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts