Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I bought an EFK conversion barrel for my XD Tactical 40 and took it to the range today. The 9mm rounds will not eject and usually stove pipe so I think I need a lighter recoil spring. Could anyone tell me which one I need to buy?

Thanks in advance. Dan

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Wolff 18# from Pistol Gear, buy a 9mm mag too, if you aren't using one. it will work better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I noticed one of the sites had springs in different poundages. Is there a reason you would normally use various springs?
Dan

·
Registered
127 Posts
You need to match your spring weight to your load. Lighter loads need lighter springs.

OS
Is the OP using the stock spring? Is the stock spring weight different between Service and Tactical? (maybe it's apples and oranges since it's a different system...)

In the case of the 40 Service I thought it was enough to just get a 9mm mag.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Is the OP using the stock spring? Is the stock spring weight different between Service and Tactical? (maybe it's apples and oranges since it's a different system...)

In the case of the 40 Service I thought it was enough to just get a 9mm mag.
I believe the stock spring in a 40 service is like 20-22#. The .40sw is a high(er) pressure cartridge than the 9mm. The 9mm stock spring is 18#. This helps the smaller round since it has less pressure( recoil force) than the .40SW.
My terminolgy may be a tad off, but the lighter spring lets the slide go back farther/faster on the 9mm, than if you try to make it push the heavier spring. When the slide goes all the way back, spent casings eject better/easier.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Springfield says the XD 9mm and .40 use the same spring weight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts