Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was cleaning my XD-SC 9mm the other night. I noticed the end of the Recoil Spring Assemby was rough around the edges. I'm talking the round end part that sits on the barrel lug.

Is this normal? Should I polish it in some way? Won't it eventually just get too chewed up?

It has probably 1500 rnds through it but this is the first time I have noticed this roughness.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Can you post some pics? I have never noticed this on any of my XDs, including my XD 9mm SC. Are there any burrs where it makes contact with the barrel that could be chewing it up?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try to post some pics tonight, but I doubt it is enough to SEE anything. I was wiping it down with a rag and noticed the rag getting snagged. I then rubbed my finger over it and was surprised at how rough it was. I haven't noticed any markings on the barrel lug at all.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. (sorry Knight). :)

I wonder if this is some sort of sub-par material these rods are made of?

I think i will drop a line to Springfield and see what they say.

·
Registered
173 Posts
strange...never heard of that...please keep us updated!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's weird. I wonder if it was a specific run or something. My XD was one of the first ones with the harder finish (melonite or something?).

Anyway, tell me more about this upgraded guide rod?

I'd really rather have Springfield replace it. I'm calling them tomorrow.

BTW, it functiions and shoots just fine.

·
Registered
902 Posts
MY SC9 was also an early Melonite, same roughness. Please post the results of the SA call.

Thx.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
It might be because the rod needs to grip the barrel lock.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Who said this was a problem? If it was a part that cycled against other metal (like the surface of the slide against the surface of the guide rails on the stock), then I could see why roughness would be an issue and could cause premature wear. But in an area like this where the piece is relatively static and you don't have a lot of kinetic friction, I wouldn't think it would be an issue.

If it bothers you, I'd say you could lightly sand it down a little as long as you don't make it thin enough to the point where it can't handle the slide racking back against it in recoil.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Going by the majority of posts, most are thinking it shouldn't be rough. If it is supposed to be that way, I find it weird that I just noticed it. I plan to ask SA about it. If this isn't the way it's supposed to be, obviously with roughness comes metal shavings and possible gouging of the Barrel lug and worse case failure of that part from becoming too thin.

May be a non issue, but that's why I asked the question.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Mine's rough. Not too rough, but definitely not polished-smooth. I think it's normal for it to be that way. :cool:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got this back from SA:

Good morning, Chris!
Our technician stated that this normal.
If it were to chip or start spinning then you would need to contact us for a replacement.
Thank you for your interest in Springfield!
Enjoy the day!

So, I guess it's a non issue. Good to hear. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like there isn't a Don's for the Subcompacts. :) No worries, after talking with SA, I'm cool with it. Just gonna keep on shootin. :)

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
This as happening on both my XDM40 and XD40sc. I want to get stainless for each. I love the gun, but the guide rods are garbage...but better than the Glock plastic ones I guess, except the plastic ones never showed wear so who knows. both my XD's had this wear after their first times out. the coating is chipping off and the edges are sharp and jagged.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts