Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on a search to help lessen the recoil from my xd45ap tac. I started with an "enhanced grip". Used my dremel and carefully removed all the grip texture on the handle. I actually was able to "embed" or "inlay" those areas. Using skateboard tape and superglue, I have an extremely "gripable" handle, the gun does not move at all when it is fired.
Secondly, I bit the bullet ( sorry for the pun) and purchased the Tungsten guide rod. Wow, it is much heavier than the lead-filled one I had. Lastly, I have the slide and barrel "autoported" at Mag-Na-Port. Got it back in less than a week. The cuts in the slide and barrel are very clean and
"cool" looking. After 100 rounds, I still have no problem seeing the front sight, it is not that "sooty" at all. It is not necessaryly "louder", just a different sound. After all these improvments, the recoil, muzzle rise is not higher that 2 inches, very quick to bring back on target, Can't wait for the local action pistol competition to see how it does. To be honest, I was surprised with the "autoporting", it turned out great. Anyway, just wanted to "brag", I guess:cool:

·
Registered
169 Posts
That's pretty cool about the guide rod, I know tungsten is a little under twice as heavy. What'd the guide rod run you?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I'd be interested in swapping ina tungsten guide rod. I guess the recoil hasn't bothered me but I'm always looking to make my guns run smoother. I used to compete with my XD45 but switched to the XDM9.

·
Premium Member
127,272 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
224 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
You could always try changing the recoil springs. I haven't owned a 45tac so don't know the stock spring weight but Pistol Gear has 3 different ones you could try. PISTOLGEAR | YOUR ONE-STOP SHOP FOR ALL THINGS PISTOL

Wish I had seen the porting job at the match yesterday; maybe next time.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could always try changing the recoil springs. I haven't owned a 45tac so don't know the stock spring weight but Pistol Gear has 3 different ones you could try. PISTOLGEAR | YOUR ONE-STOP SHOP FOR ALL THINGS PISTOL

Wish I had seen the porting job at the match yesterday; maybe next time.
I have the 3 springs set from Pistolgear, I am using the 18.5 pound spring right now. The way I understand it, the heavier the spring, the more "dampening" effect there is. Lighter spring would increase the recoil, wouldn't it? Hope I don't have that backwards.

I'll see ya next match, look for the red truck with all the "politically incorrect" bumper stickers on it.:)

·
Premium Member
127,272 Posts
The way I understand it, the heavier the spring, the more "dampening" effect there is. Lighter spring would increase the recoil, wouldn't it?

You nailed it!

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Kinda hard to make power floor or 165 in CDP with light loads. My experience with recoil springs is that finding the one that allows the slide to settle back pretty much on target. Too much spring drives the muzzle below the original POA and too little spring leaves it above the original POA. You just have to tinker with the recoil springs to find the one that leaves you pretty much back on target.

Carstens, what day (or days) are you going to the range this week? Maybe we can play with the springs and find the right one...Lewis

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kinda hard to make power floor or 165 in CDP with light loads. My experience with recoil springs is that finding the one that allows the slide to settle back pretty much on target. Too much spring drives the muzzle below the original POA and too little spring leaves it above the original POA. You just have to tinker with the recoil springs to find the one that leaves you pretty much back on target.

Carstens, what day (or days) are you going to the range this week? Maybe we can play with the springs and find the right one...Lewis

Have ordered a 20 lb recoil spring, will get in touch when it comes in, maybe get together and figure this thing out.:)

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
How about just shooting it a heck of a lot more and getting acclimated to the recoil, instead of relying on modifications that may effect the reliability of your gun...

And if you find that .45acp is just too much, stepping down to a 9mm?

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I've seen carstensxd45 shoot one ragged hole at 15 yds with the XD. Doubt it's not too much gun but what's wrong with making a great gun even better? All my competition guns run pretty flat and they didn't come that way from the factory. Sometimes you just have to make them better.

D

·
0 Posts
How about just shooting it a heck of a lot more and getting acclimated to the recoil, instead of relying on modifications that may effect the reliability of your gun...
Agreed. When I first got my XD45, I thought the recoil was unbelievable.

It was also my first gun.

I had to be patient and determined, and had to face my own embarrassment and looking like a fool everytime a shot went off (I hope no one was looking at me), but I am way, way, way more comfortable now. Shooting my XD45 feels normal and actually comfortable to me now. I no longer feel as if the thing is flipping up 90* with every shot and coming a couple feet off the target, like it did when I was new.

If you are very uncomfortable, and just can't get the hang of it, then I'd recommend something like a 9 as well. You don't have anything to prove to anyone with the 45. I say, give it a fair try, but if you still cannot, then go for the 9. There is no shame in it. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

However, I believe that the mass majority of people can competently shoot a 45 as long as they're willing to put in the determination and patience that their particular case requires. In my case, it required a lot. For others, they are shooting quite flatly almost from the start. Everyone is different.

Also, doing some basic exercises with a dumbbell helped a lot. Start with the forearms, biceps, and especially triceps. I plan to buy a captains of crush grip trainer as well. Increasing your general fitness is always a good idea, but especially so if you're trying to get better with firearms. Weak arms really limit you in more areas than just firearms.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've seen carstensxd45 shoot one ragged hole at 15 yds with the XD. Doubt it's not too much gun but what's wrong with making a great gun even better? All my competition guns run pretty flat and they didn't come that way from the factory. Sometimes you just have to make them better.

Thanks for the backup!!!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

And if you find that .45acp is just too much, stepping down to a 9mm?

Remember, just because there is not very many "posts", doesn't mean that I am a "newbie", Have had the same gun for about 4 years, am very comfortable with it, just trying to make a great gun even better!!! Remember, "Just because you don't care for what is being served,okay, but don't spit in my food!!":)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Let us know when you get the 20 lbs spring please.

I have a XDM 45 4.5" and is the best of all my guns because I shoot it better and is the one I use for my matches. It is a stock gun, no mod's of any kind. But I'm looking for a good set of sights and perhaps to shorten the trigger reset positions. Any idea or references are welcome!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts