Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you have seen my recent poll I'm trading in my XDsc 9mm for either a LC9, CM9 or Beretta 84fs. What's the recoil of those compared to the XDsc? None of the places around here have them available to shoot, just on display. The XDsc to me flips quite a bit but doesn't hurt or tire my hands out. The sales guy at one store said that since the Beretta is an all metal frame and a smaller caliber you could shoot it all day. And since the LC9 and CM9 have a lower barrel than the XD I would think they have more of a backwards recoil than being "flippy"?

Looking for first-hand experience though.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I can't compare the XD9 all of them but I can the Kahr PM9. The XD9 is a very nice gun with a very controllable recoil. If you compare it to the PM9 yes there is a bit more recoil but not as much as you might think do to it's lower bore axis. You should remember though that these smaller pistols were never meant to be range toys. The PM9 as well as some of the others are very nice pistols, but they were designed to be a SD pistols more than they were anything else. I can shoot a 100 rounds through my PM9 with no problem but I'll be totally honest enough to tell you up front that after 50 rounds my accuracy starts to suffer. Where as the XD9 or my CZ75B that number might be 75 rounds. That is when I usually turn to one of my rifles for some shooting.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
+1 on some of these not being range plinkers. I daily carry the PF-9, but the recoil starts to tire my hand after about 30 rounds. Same goes for the LC9 and PM9, even though they're both a bit heavier than the PF-9.

Although the XD9sc is not as easy to conceal, IMHO it's the best choice as an all-around CC/Range pistol of those you're comparing.

I've run entire matches with my XD9sc and XDM9c and easily run more rounds through them after the match. I could not do that with my PF-9, my friend's LC9, or a PM9.

If you're looking for JUST a CC pistol, keep the XD9sc and pick up on any of the others you're comparing, but if it's a very good Multi-Purpose pistol you're looking for, you already have it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have the lc9, I use to carry an xd40sc. The lc9 does have some kick to it but not bad. A lot less than I thought it would have. I have shot 200 rnds in one range session with the lc9 and no problems with fatigue.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
As you have seen my recent poll I'm trading in my XDsc 9mm for either a LC9, CM9 or Beretta 84fs. What's the recoil of those compared to the XDsc? None of the places around here have them available to shoot, just on display. The XDsc to me flips quite a bit but doesn't hurt or tire my hands out. The sales guy at one store said that since the Beretta is an all metal frame and a smaller caliber you could shoot it all day. And since the LC9 and CM9 have a lower barrel than the XD I would think they have more of a backwards recoil than being "flippy"?

Looking for first-hand experience though.
I shot 50 rounds each through an Ruger LC9 and a Kahr PM9 Friday. I've been told that the Kahr CM9 would shoot 99% identical to the PM9, the only difference being cosmetic, and rifled vs. polygonal barrel. First, these are not going to be guns that you shoot 100's of rounds through each week, and certainly will be snappier than your XD9sc because the XD weighs about 10-12 oz more, has heftier recoil spring and thicker hand-grip; it's just a meatier gun..like driving a Honda Accord vs. a Honda Civic.
With either of these guns, once I ran 100-200 rounds though them to break them in and develop carry-confidence in them, I'd likely only shoot 1 mag per month of my defensive-carry ammo through them just to maintain confidence and cycle the mechanics of them. The PM9 was noticabley more accurate right from the get-go, had a better trigger, and slightly less recoil. The LC9 trigger took longer for me to get used to, but I did get used to it and was shooting on par with the PM9 at the end of the session. The Kahr is smaller than the LC9 in both slide length and grip length..look up the specs, and compare both to your XD9sc. I liked both the Kahr and Ruger; just have to work harder to master the Ruger trigger. You'll pay about $340-380 for the Ruger LC9, and $440-480 for the Kahr CM9 after all is said and done. I will probably buy the LC9, just because I think Ruger's customer service may be better and I think Ruger may be a longer-lived, better gun in the long run. I can't explain why as I've never owned a Ruger or a Kahr.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Recoil is subjective ... It hurt like hell, and was soft as a ***** (cat) are the best way to describe the recoil of any handgun.

Gun weight = More perception of the above.
I hope that helps :rolleyes:

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've shot a XDm 3.8 and a LC9 at the same time. The LC9 has a bit more recoil, but not bad considering it weighs so much less.

I did try a PM9 a few weeks prior and don't recall it being much different from Ruger in terms of recoil. I think it depends on whether I have the grip extension which one would edge out the other.

The BG380 actually had a lot of kick.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Never fired a Ruger LC9 but I've fired both the PM9 and the XDSC 9 and I'll pass both of these guns up for my Walther PPS 9MM. I can fire it all day long and never get fatigued and the concealability is great. Yes the Kahr is slightly smaller but I think they are junk pistols IMO. Every month 2 or 3 people seem to post up problems with their Kahr and after they return it back to the manufacture multiple times it might get fixed. I would never trust my life to one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts