Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How important is this on a 7.62x39, pretty cheap add on, would you say its a good little add on for your rifle? Im just getting my feet wet in converting outer and internal parts, thinking about doing a trigger job and muzzle break

·
Premium Member
128,397 Posts
I have a few in some of my AKs and think they are worth the small cost.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I can see where it might make a difference in a pistol like a 1911 where accuracy could be affected, but not so much in a rifle.

Some of the most accurate semi-auto rifles I know of, dont have aftermarket rubber/nylon buffers in them.

I guess just try it and see.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I had one on my Draco. It does not do much for recoil but helps prevent the bolt carrier from hitting the rear trunion and potentially damaging it (not that it will happen). You would have to disassemble the recoil spring to install it.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
They are a gimmick and are not required or needed for any AK. If your recoil spring is good then your bolt carrier wont hit your rear trunnion with normal cycling. If your bolt carrier is hitting your rear trunion then you have a bad recoil spring and putting a 7$ piece of polymere on it isnt the right corrective action.

These might be needed on a mini Draco pistol but that is about the only gun I could think of that would need one and have not verified they are 100% needed either. Reason ive say this is because ive seen AK pistols shorter than the Mini Draco that do not have a buffer installed...

·
Registered
891 Posts
Thanks Houston! I was going to ask that very question. I have a second question though. My MAK puts a small dent in the center of some cases. A few have major dents in the case mouth. Is this to be expected or do I have a problem?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Thanks Houston! I was going to ask that very question. I have a second question though. My MAK puts a small dent in the center of some cases. A few have major dents in the case mouth. Is this to be expected or do I have a problem?
Dent in the center of what, primer? That's normal and happens when the bolt strips the next round and returns into battery. Since there's nothing that stops the firing pin from moving forward (due to momentum) except the primer, it will create a dent (on the primer) - not enough to cause the round to fire (otherwise it would be full-auto).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Avoid buffers. They're a gimmick to attract people with "less recoil". In a serious gun, never put anything in there which can eventually break and crumble and drop pieces into your firing group when least needed.

AKs are naturally overgassed, so dents in the side of casings is semi-normal. If you're feeling the carrier strike your trunnion, you're really overworking the rifle. One of mine is doing this currently after the latest trip to the gunsmith. It is also damn near bending steel cases in half upon ejecting them.

Small dents are fine/normal. It's just from the ejection striking.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Dent in the center of what, primer? That's normal and happens when the bolt strips the next round and returns into battery. Since there's nothing that stops the firing pin from moving forward (due to momentum) except the primer, it will create a dent (on the primer) - not enough to cause the round to fire (otherwise it would be full-auto).
Of course not. In the side of the case and sometimes the case mouth. I know about free floating firing pins and as a reloader for the last 30 years I am vaguely familiar with primers and the dents made in them.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Avoid buffers. They're a gimmick to attract people with "less recoil". In a serious gun, never put anything in there which can eventually break and crumble and drop pieces into your firing group when least needed.

AKs are naturally overgassed, so dents in the side of casings is semi-normal. If you're feeling the carrier strike your trunnion, you're really overworking the rifle. One of mine is doing this currently after the latest trip to the gunsmith. It is also damn near bending steel cases in half upon ejecting them.

Small dents are fine/normal. It's just from the ejection striking.
Thank you . That answered my question.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts