Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new recoil assembly for my HS 2000 Service 9mm. I can't understand the difference between the factory made and the after-market rods. What do people recomend for a novice shooter (who doesn't get to the range much)?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
eytan said:
What do people recomend for a novice shooter (who doesn't get to the range much)?
How about going to the range a lot. :wink:
Sorry can't help you here, I only have the factory made but I've been thinking of getting DGR after I've seen some damaged factory rods.

vega

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Get Don's rod, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It depends on what you want to acheive. faster recovery, less recoil, for a 9mm there is not much recoil anyway the lighter the spring the less recoil.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
if your a novice shooter and you get a DGR, then get the factory spring weight. (i think its 18, or 16)

when you learn more about shooting - by getting out and acctually shooting - then you can just buy a new spring to end up with whatever results you want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
therooster said:
[if your a novice shooter and you get a DGR,]
Newbie question: What is DGR?

vega said:
How about going to the range a lot.
I'd love to ... but in the Holy Land a box of 50 rounds goes for around $15.
Here we carry mainly as an anti terror measure and less for sport. (Although sadly nobody managed to stop four shoppers being killed by a suicide bomber a few hours ago. :x )

I've found my answers about the rod in other posts, too. So thanks to all.

·
Registered
244 Posts
DGR- Don's guide rod. I've got one in my Service. Got the 22 pound spring. I've had tighter groups ever since, so has my fiance. But she is kinda weak and she can't rack the slide or even push down the slide lock button with the 22lb. so I bought a 20lb and an 18lb spring too. She's gonna play with them today and see what works best. But I like the 22lb, and it seems to be the most popular here in the forum.

·
Registered
66 Posts
eytan said:
(Although sadly nobody managed to stop four shoppers being killed by a suicide bomber a few hours ago. :x )
Sorry to hear that, Not that I want to turn this thread religious or political but back in the old country we have a saying, a good Mxxxxx is a dead Mxxxxx.

vega

·
Registered
539 Posts
I can't recommend a good spring wt. since i have a 40 and after experimenting with the different spring wts., i think it is to a great deal personal preference. As long as its as stiff or more so than stock, it will lock into battery fine. If its too stiff, it may be not be as comfortable to rack the slide. I found that it really didnt bother me, but i went with a light spring wt. since i take out alot of my friends to shoot and many don't have experience shooting. In such a case, i think having an easier slide rack is safer.

As for the guide rod, well i've had zero problems with Don's guide rod and found that it coupled with a decent wt spring makes shooting a lot more comfortable for me.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Don's Guide Rod. It won't break. The feel of the different spring weights is subjective, but springs are cheap and it's fun to experiment.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
eytan said:
manygunner said:
Get Don's rod, you won't regret it.
Okay, but what will it give me and which spring should I choose?
It will give you 1) Peace of mind as it won't come apart like the stock captive guide rod from Springfield, 2) smoother cycling of the slide while firing, 3) tunability of recoil spring weight to achive your desired performance parameters, 4) the ability to change the spring anytime you want while Wolff Gunsprings is still in existance and 5) it just plain looks good. BTW, I use a # 20 Wolff spring for the Springfield Compact 1911 in my XD-9 Service models.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts