Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the process of tidying up my recent Rommy G build and I'm trying to resolve a minor but irritating problem.

The receiver cover locks into the semi-circular rear sight block well at the front and latches with the catch on the guide rod at the rear. Life is good.

However, there is a small gap between the cover and the rear trunnion. I used a Nodak Spud receiver for the build so hopefully all the holes were in the right place!

Question #1: Is this normal?

Then, when I rack the gun, the cover slides backwards against the rear trunnion, filling the gap seen in the photo above, but opening up a corresponding gap at the front sight block. See just above the point of the triangle below.

Something is wrong here. Question #2: What is it?

Thanks in advance.

Phil

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Which Nodak receiver did you use?

Was it a NDS-1 ?

It appears your rear trunnion may be a smidge too far to the rear.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which Nodak receiver did you use?

Was it a NDS-1 ?

It appears your rear trunnion may be a smidge too far to the rear.
No, it is an NDS-3

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Interesting.

Can we get more pix?

Some from different angles?
Sure - tell me what you want me to take pictures of...

I can't believe that Nodak drilled the holes in the wrong place so I'm wondering what went wrong with my build. If the receiver is effectively 1/4" 'too long' what effect will that have on the function of the weapon? Thinking I might need to install a recoil buffer to properly space the recoil action.

The cover moving back is not that serious to me so long as the function of the gun is not affected - this is a 'fun-gun' not a safe queen. I figure I can just drill a couple of stops into the rear trunion for the back lip of the cover to butt up against and therefore secure the front lip into the sight block - unless someone has a better alternative.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Side views of the front and rear of the receiver?

Top view front and rear with the cover off and recoil spring and bolt carrier group removed?

Anything else you think is important.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've uploaded more photos to a slideshow

< LINK DELETED>

Let me know if you want clarification on any of these or different angles/shots.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,712 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rear trunnion with recoil assembly

Exposed rear trunnion from above

Rear trunnion from right

Front trunnion from right

Front trunnion from above

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts

I can't believe that Nodak drilled the holes in the wrong place so I'm wondering what went wrong with my build. If the receiver is effectively 1/4" 'too long' what effect will that have on the function of the weapon? Thinking I might need to install a recoil buffer to properly space the recoil action.

The cover moving back is not that serious to me so long as the function of the gun is not affected - this is a 'fun-gun' not a safe queen. I figure I can just drill a couple of stops into the rear trunion for the back lip of the cover to butt up against and therefore secure the front lip into the sight block - unless someone has a better alternative.

It will not effect the gun one bit. I still have my very first AKS-74 build and the receiver is too long, I turned the hinge pin for the folder upside down to act as a stop so the cover would stay on. You can bend the rear of the cover slightly to make it 'longer' so it will seat better.

Another thing to look at is the recoil assembly lock and the slot in the rear trunnion. Some kits have over machining in the slot and it lets the lock/cover latch slide back too far. Small weld bead or even some good type of hard epoxy will make a good spacer for this. On your next build, regardless of which receiver you use, after you install the front trunnion, ALWAYS slide in the rear and lock it in place with toothpicks/dowels/roll pins (anything that will seat it tight), put in the bolt carrier and recoil assembly so you can check top cover fit. Even the great Global Trades has had issues every once in a while...also check out another top cover to make sure what the problem is.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like you got shorted in the dust cover department.
Nope, the dust cover from my other parts kit does the same thing when I put it on this gun. I think it's the receiver.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It will not effect the gun one bit. I still have my very first AKS-74 build and the receiver is too long, I turned the hinge pin for the folder upside down to act as a stop so the cover would stay on. You can bend the rear of the cover slightly to make it 'longer' so it will seat better.

Another thing to look at is the recoil assembly lock and the slot in the rear trunnion. Some kits have over machining in the slot and it lets the lock/cover latch slide back too far. Small weld bead or even some good type of hard epoxy will make a good spacer for this. On your next build, regardless of which receiver you use, after you install the front trunnion, ALWAYS slide in the rear and lock it in place with toothpicks/dowels/roll pins (anything that will seat it tight), put in the bolt carrier and recoil assembly so you can check top cover fit. Even the great Global Trades has had issues every once in a while...also check out another top cover to make sure what the problem is.
This is my first build too. I expected to have some problems. Do you think it is something I did during the build or was the receiver off?

I think next time I am going to get an NDS-1 so I can measure for the holes myself. A screw build would also be easier for me to accomplish - the rivets on my gun are really poor. I'll be sure to check the fit next time as you suggest - I just ASSumed that NODAK had done their part right.

I bent the back of the cover as you suggested and that has tightened the front fit sufficiently that I can't pull it loose by hand any more.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Btt

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I think next time I am going to get an NDS-1 so I can measure for the holes myself. A screw build would also be easier for me to accomplish - the rivets on my gun are really poor. I'll be sure to check the fit next time as you suggest - I just ASSumed that NODAK had done their part right.
I've built on dozens of NDS-3 receivers and never seen one that was 'off'.

I have seen folks use NDS-1s and fudge it up because they didn't measure properly.

Glad your metal work got the problem sorted.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've built on dozens of NDS-3 receivers and never seen one that was 'off'.

I have seen folks use NDS-1s and fudge it up because they didn't measure properly.

Glad your metal work got the problem sorted.
I think it's unlikely that the receiver was off - so that means I screwed something up but since everything is fitting correctly in the pre-drilled holes, I just can't figure out what it is. I actually lie awake at night sweating this stuff... LOL

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I think it's unlikely that the receiver was off - so that means I screwed something up but since everything is fitting correctly in the pre-drilled holes, I just can't figure out what it is. I actually lie awake at night sweating this stuff... LOL
So long as it works now, it's all good, right?

I've seen dust covers that are too long or too short.

That's the problem with some of these "G" kits. Some of them were unissued (never left the gov't warehouse).

This means that Joe Soldier didn't complain about the top cover fitting and having the unit armorer fix it.

I prefer building from kits that were used by soldiers, rather than unissued ones for the above reason.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Did you over drill when you removed the rivets?? Was there any movement when you squeezed them...or should I say, did everything stay put or did the rivets deform and actually push the trunnions out of position?? You can fix it by taking out the rivets at the rear, moving the rear trunnion forward to make the top cover work. You may have to have someone weld up the original holes and re drill the receiver.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts