Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have ya'll found to be the most consistent ammo to put through this pistol?

I have the .40 XDM

What is the best for use at the range -- (something a little cheaper in price or a good deal online??)

Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
What have ya'll found to be the most consistent ammo to put through this pistol?

I have the .40 XDM

What is the best for use at the range -- (something a little cheaper in price or a good deal online??)

Thanks
I personally like the Federal FMJ the best for range shooting. Blazer is okay too but I wouldn't put WWB in a Satuday night special. That stuff is filthy and not that much cheaper anyway. I have even used those aluminum cased rounds a couple of times but I don't find them as accurate. I use the expensive federal jacketed HP for defense. I have never had a jam with my XDM regardless of the ammo.

·
Premium Member
127,068 Posts
I use Winchester White Box.

·
Registered
40 Posts
as long as you do a good cleaning I dont think it will hurt your gun no matter how dirty the ammo is. ammo is a lot cleaner these days...shouldnt be a problem

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How about "defense" rounds?

I've heard a lot of good stuff about cor-bon hollow-point and the Winchester silvertip hollow-point

·
Registered
208 Posts
Winchester white box, Blazer Brass from Wal-mart...anything but Wolf

·
Registered
135 Posts
Zero failures in 1300 rounds - mostly Winchester White Box and Blazer Brass from Wal-Mart. The last 250 rounds were a 250 round box of Remington UMC also from Wal-Mart. Not all Wal-Marts sell Blazer Brass though I've been told. I bought two 50 round boxes of Blazer Brass two days ago for $12.48 each.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My carry load is from Doubletapammo.Com and is a 200 gr hp that comes out of the 4.5" barrel at 1100 fps. I reload for practice and match stuff. 3.5 gr of TiteGrout behind a 180 gr cast fp Space Coast Bullets. I am not certain but I think they will reload to your specs and I would think their prices would be pretty good.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Blazer Brass from WalMart $12/box for target.

Federal Hydra Shok or Speer Gold Dot for a defense load.

What ever you buy for defense be sure to run a box through the pistol, make sure it agrees with it.

So far the only thing that has given me trouble was MagTech.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My ammo questions for all of the shooters here is:

1. Overall cheapest, dependable target ammo.
2. Least dirty ammo.
3. Place for best ammo prices.
4. Do you really save buying bulk?
5. How many rounds a month should justify reloading yourself?
6. Average time spent reloading 50 pistol rounds.
7. Average cost for 50 rounds you reload yourself.
8. How good usually are off the shelf reloads?

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I use PMC bronze for target shooting, and with only 200 rounds so far I haven't chosen a personal protection round yet. I'll run a few personal protection rounds through whenever the mayhem stops here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
WWB at the range and Federal XFMJ for carry.

·
Registered
40 Posts
1. Blazer brass around $12/50. WWB about $14/50
2. Im not sure, but if you go for cheap its wont be the cleanest stuff. just make sure you clean youre gun good.
3. I found walmart to be cheapest(but sometimes other places have sales)
4. yes, buying bulk will save a few bucks.
5. no matter how much you shoot, overtime reloading will pay for itself and you can find the most accurate load. It is also something many people enjoy to a passtime
6. not sure
7. depending if you use the cheapest possible materials and find deals it can cut costs in half
8. off the shelf reloads? not sure what you are talking about, never seen this.

My ammo questions for all of the shooters here is:
1. Overall cheapest, dependable target ammo.
2. Least dirty ammo.
3. Place for best ammo prices.
4. Do you really save buying bulk?
5. How many rounds a month should justify reloading yourself?
6. Average time spent reloading 50 pistol rounds.
7. Average cost for 50 rounds you reload yourself.
8. How good usually are off the shelf reloads?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Zero failures in 1300 rounds - mostly Winchester White Box and Blazer Brass from Wal-Mart. The last 250 rounds were a 250 round box of Remington UMC also from Wal-Mart. Not all Wal-Marts sell Blazer Brass though I've been told. I bought two 50 round boxes of Blazer Brass two days ago for $12.48 each.

+1

I've shot approx 1000 rounds of Blazer Brass through my XDm with zero problems. You can't beat it for $12.48 a box.

As far as Personal Defense rounds a choose Speer Gold Dot. From what I've read online and in magazines it can't be beat as far as consistent uniform expansion and level of trauma. There's several good brands out there though. Some other people like to use Rangers since they are what replaced Black Talons also Hydra Shocks.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I use Federal American Eagle FMJ 115 rain.

The range I go to sells this for about $11 a box, but members get 10% off plus 15% off if you buy 3 or more boxes.

So it ends up around $10 a box.

I have been testing gold dots and hydrashocks for personal defense.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I used the WWB and Remington UMC a little over a week ago and fired 250 rounds of a combination of the two. I had no failures whatsoever. As soon as I save up some moolah, I'll get some defense ammo...probably some Cor-bon or Hornady TAP FPD (180-grain is my particular choice).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts