Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a XD-9 that is in great condition, and I wanted to reblue to slide which shows honest wear from a holster. I usually would just keep the wear, but its not much, and i'd rather refine it to my likings.

What is a good bluing to use for a XD? This is my first XD, not springfield though.

Also is there a good place online to get the fitted sandpaper grip decals for the pistol grip and slide?

Thank a bunch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay how would I go about doing a home refinish for the slide of my XD? I'm not really that worried about it, but if there is something I can do at home, i'm up for it.

Thanks for the link to the grips. Appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
The XD slide is not blued it is melonite.
Melonite is not a finish. The black coating is not the melonite treatment.

Okay how would I go about doing a home refinish for the slide of my XD? I'm not really that worried about it, but if there is something I can do at home, i'm up for it.

Thanks for the link to the grips. Appreciate it.
How good are you with your hands? Do you own a sand blaster?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
For DIY look into Norrel's Molyresin. You'll have to blast the slide or strip the original finish then paint and cook the molyresin. I wouldn't recommend duracoat.

If you don't have access to a blaster, then strip the old finish, I would then recommend you parkerize the slide then paint.
Any GOOD work will require that you either blast or sand or some other way strip the old finish then paint.
For a DIY hot caustic bluing, I did a shot how to a while back. You can find it in the gunsmithing section.

·
Premium Member
28,487 Posts
I recommend John Norrell Arm's Moly Resin. I refinished my 870 in that and it turned out great.

You can do it yourself, but you'll need to do a bit of prep (basically strip your slide and degrease it) and you'll need to buy an airbrush kit. If you want to see pictures of my refinished 870 let me know and I'll see if I can find the thread.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
If you don't have access to a blaster, then strip the old finish, I would then recommend you parkerize the slide then paint.
Any GOOD work will require that you either blast or sand or some other way strip the old finish then paint.
For a DIY hot caustic bluing, I did a shot how to a while back. You can find it in the gunsmithing section.
Quick question, I've sand blasted many things, but no firearms. Given the damage sand blasting does to metal, wouldn't there be some danger of obscuring or obliterating the serial number and other features?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
You want to use a light to medium media to blast. You're just removing the bluing so you don't go down very deep. I've seen the guy's a Tripp Research blast AR bolts with no noticeable wear. I know they also do gun slides with no wearing down of the lettering. When they gave me a tour they had several 2011 GM slides that had been blasted.

·
Premium Member
28,487 Posts
I didn't have to really do any prep work for my XD. I only refinished the barrel since it showed the most wear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts