Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am by no means an AR guy, I love my AKs HOWEVER, I do have an AR and the rear take down pin requires no less than brute force furry and destruction from a sledge hammer and a punch to get this friggin pin out!

anyone have any suggestions?

AR is a M&P 15 Tactical

·
Registered
245 Posts
You need to lube up the take down pin and the pin holes. Also invest in derlin take down tool plastic type punch. Is it a new gun?

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
1/4" wooden dowel works well too for a pusher if you can't find a delrin tool as pictured above.

The upper and lower may not be mating up well, or if it's real new, may just need the anodizing worn in some.

·
Registered
725 Posts
They're meant to be push-out-able with an unfired 5.56 round. If it's harder than that, it needs some attention. I'm used to being able to pop it with my thumb and pull it out from the other side, and that's on more than one rifle. Give it a few cycles and see if it eases up any. Then it's time to look at other stuff.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Take some emery cloth to that bad boy.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I am by no means an AR guy, I love my AKs HOWEVER, I do have an AR and the rear take down pin requires no less than brute force furry and destruction from a sledge hammer and a punch to get this friggin pin out!

anyone have any suggestions?

AR is a M&P 15 Tactical
It's also possible that either your upper or lower is slightly out of spec on the hole spacing, causing the tight fit. Is the pin that tight when pushed in with no upper installed? Try another upper, and also install your upper on a different lower to be sure where the problem lies.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just bought extended take down pins .... $22 on ebay.... LOL mine are biohazard stamped

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I would take a look at the holes in the lower and see if there is some surface wear on them.

Something is definitely wrong.

·
Registered
17,492 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
One should clean and lube the rifle even before shooting it the first time. I placed one tiny drop of oil on the rear take down pin - take down pin moves easy with a deliberate push force applied with a .556 rounnd.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mine was tighter than I was used to when I took the rifle out of the box. One technique I've found over the years: wrap your thumb over the upper receiver (through the carrying handle if you've got an A2 style upper), with your fingers from the same hand around the trigger guard, and squeeze together. This tends to take the lateral force off the pin, allowing it to move easier. In my experience, most of these weapons will take down using that technique and a wrap from the knuckle of the opposite hand to get the pin started moving.

Good suggestion above to see if it's just as tight pushing the pin into just the lower; also look for wear indications on the upper hole, to get an idea of where the friction is coming from.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Try this old trick lost in the mists of time. Squeeze the upper and lower together FIRMLY with one hand while pushing/tapping out the rear take down pin with the other.

If the take down pin still does not want to come out, then you will have to carefully eyeball the contact between the receivers and carefully remove some aluminimiumm.

Usually this will be the area above the hammer and the rear take down pin. Use 400 grit emery paper and go slow, then try to push in the rear pin. Aluminum black when done.

Tight is good. Too loose is not good. As said before, the rear pin should demount with a push of a live round. Too tight indicates a mismatch betwen the upper and lower. HB of CJ (old coot)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts