Springfield XD Forum banner

Rear Sights (Need Help)

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  jsmith15 
#1 ·
The rear sights on my XD are shifting. After shooting several rounds and laying the gun down to reload or retrieve the target I noticed the rear sight shifted to the right. I took it to the counter and guy knocked the sight back center with a brass punch and hammer. He said he could almost move them with his hand. I was nailing bullseyes and went to lunch and came back and everything was at 3:00. Thats when I noticed the sight had shifted. The gun was not dropped or slammed down. It was either laid on egg foam or on the counter at the range which had a thin pad.
So, What is causing this?, and is it a common problem with XD's? If I changed sights would it fix the problem with stock sights or aftermarket?[/b]

#2 ·
Yes it's a somewhat common problem. Seems the sights are either so tight you can't get them to move with a sledge hammer or so loose you can move them with your fingers. Most people use a drop of Locktite (preferable Blue Locktite I think, so it can be removed) then drift the sight back between the marks in the dovetail.

#4 ·

Happened to me too. Do as Tom says :)

Blue Loctite takes a little time for it to set so you can move the sight around untill you have it in the location you want. Then in a few hours it should be dry and secure.

#12 ·
I just replaced the front and rear sights (with Dawsons) myself. Mine were on so tight that the aluminum punch that came with the sights died, my small steel punch snapped, the brass punch just did nothing but deform and I had to use a bigger steel punch. Take it as a sign to replace them EASILY with adjustable or other types of sights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.