Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to remove the rear iron sight on my XDM Elite, to install a base for an optic. It's obviously a dovetail; do I simply drive it out with a drift? I tried and it's not moving and I don't want to force it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
804 Posts
If the reviews are honest, it sounds like it will work. At least there was mention of replacing XD sights.

Keep in mind that you may have to remove some material off the bottom of your new sights to get the to go in with less force.

I'd also make sure there's some extreme pressure grease on the pusher threads and painter's tape or card stock to protect the slide.

Also make sure the critical bolts in that pusher are properly torqued. These flat heads on the pusher block are going to be experiencing a lot of stress.

Some slides are also directional when it comes to sight replacement. Look around to see if your slide wants the sights to come out / go in a certain way.

I'm sure others will chime in with some good pointers too.

·
Registered
299 Posts
It works, it’s quick, it’s easy, it’s cheap (assuming u already have the tool). Checks all the boxes for me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Fisher solutions makes a sight pusher that works great on XD and XDM. I've used it on several of mine plus friends guns. Typically takes me less than 4 minutes to push a sight out or adjust. Minimal effort required. You'll hear a pop when it starts to move, then it slides smoothly. No need to use any lube either. You can buy on Amazon.

·
Registered
139 Posts
This wasn't my first rodeo, but even with a 12 ton press, this Ruger front sight wasn't going to move in either direction. All a sight pusher did was bend the post when it slipped off of the thin base. Heat was a no-go. A rotary tool knocked it right off.
Dremel w/ cutoff wheel.
Vehicle Wheel Sports equipment Automotive lighting Bumper

·
Registered
74 Posts
The problem is that the sides of the XDM slide aren't parallel some sight pushers don't work so well. I didn't want to risk marring the slide if the pusher slipped off so I sent my slide to XDMan and he pushed it out for me. Cost was really reasonable, less than $60 including shipping both way, and turnaround was quick. He's also really responsive to emails.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The problem is that the sides of the XDM slide aren't parallel some sight pushers don't work so well. I didn't want to risk marring the slide if the pusher slipped off so I sent my slide to XDMan and he pushed it out for me. Cost was really reasonable, less than $60 including shipping both way, and turnaround was quick. He's also really responsive to emails.
Yup...the angle makes things a little more work for sure. I ended up cutting an angle on some hardwood to support my XDM when I pressed my sights (using a hydraulic press).

A lot of people have used XDMan for sights among other things. He does nice work.

Motor vehicle Wood Gas Engineering Bumper

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd like to remove the rear iron sight on my XDM Elite, to install a base for an optic. It's obviously a dovetail; do I simply drive it out with a drift? I tried and it's not moving and I don't want to force it.
Recommend using a sight pusher compatible with xdm slide

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fisher solutions makes a sight pusher that works great on XD and XDM. I've used it on several of mine plus friends guns. Typically takes me less than 4 minutes to push a sight out or adjust. Minimal effort required. You'll hear a pop when it starts to move, then it slides smoothly. No need to use any lube either. You can buy on Amazon.
I use the Fisher sight tool on all of my D's. It is more robust than Wheeler and the others I have seen and is very accurate and stable for both removing and installing. I have done over 30 front and rear changes using this tool on XD's of all generations with no problem. Be sure to mask your surfaces well with a good electrical tape and take it slow. XD sights are noted for their tight fit. Easy does it

·
Registered
XDm 45 3.8 Compact, ex Alaska State Police, no markings
32 Posts
I might be too late, but have you considered getting the optic-ready model? The comments are spot on for sight replacement, not so much for mounting an optic. You should look into OSP or milling your slide.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts