Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sighted in my eotech and Troy battle sight this weekend. The rear sight is way over to one side now. I'd say at least 2/3 of the way from the left. The front sight is a standard A2 type and it looks to be straight up and down, not crooked. The rear sight also seems to be mounted square on the rail.

Is it normal or do I have something out of whack? I guess it doesn't hurt anything but I expected it to be somewhere near the middle.

Here's my setup (before I sighted it in).

·
Registered
395 Posts
Can't tell from your pic. You need a pic shot straight from the back of the rifle, so we can tell if the sight is too far right.

If you can't get it zeroed w/o excessive windage, my guess would be the FSB is canted, or the barrel isn't properly indexed.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
That would be my suggestion as well. Check your FSB and make sure it is squared up. Probably unlikely that your barrel isnt indexed right unless you just got that one in a million.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
No pics here. Dial up too slow. 19K. Very rural. Yeah again, front site base crooked (possible) or barrel needs reindexing (more likely) Both fixes doable, but tricky at home level.

Question?...with your stock carry handle and site assembly reinstalled, (if you have one) is the rear sight centered evenly and does the rifle shoot straight right to left? If it does...

...then the problem probably doesn't rest with the rifle, but with the accessory site. Have no idea how or why, my skills are ancient. Does your site base have taper or roll pins? HB of CJ :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
With the standard A2 wind adjustment knob on the rifle range more than 30 clicks from center is considered excessive windage. To get your "center" put the peep sight on one side, count the clicks it takes to go to the other side, divide that in half and use that number to go to your click-counted center. How far is your zero target away? Does the rifle hold a good group? It could also be the way you're shooting. My last range (I'm a USMC range coach) we had a shooter that we had adjusted almost 40 clicks to the right and she kept hitting to the left because she was doing things like closing her eyes before the shot broke, picking her head up off the stock (not using follow through). Not saying it's not mechanical but I'd check your position and fundamentals first.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the standard A2 wind adjustment knob on the rifle range more than 30 clicks from center is considered excessive windage. To get your "center" put the peep sight on one side, count the clicks it takes to go to the other side, divide that in half and use that number to go to your click-counted center. How far is your zero target away? Does the rifle hold a good group? It could also be the way you're shooting. My last range (I'm a USMC range coach) we had a shooter that we had adjusted almost 40 clicks to the right and she kept hitting to the left because she was doing things like closing her eyes before the shot broke, picking her head up off the stock (not using follow through). Not saying it's not mechanical but I'd check your position and fundamentals first.
I don't think it's me. I was sighting in my EOTech with the VFG resting on a block, shooting at 25 yards and I can cover my 6 shot groups with a dime.

Let me drag it out right now and see if I can find anything crooked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts