Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a sight tool to install and remove the dovetail sights on the 92A1 and Elite models. Every tool on Midway or Brownells seems to either not be made for the Beretta, is made for the rear only or has horrible reviews. I need a well made tool that will not mar the slide or destroy the sights. This needs to be able to be used with tritium sights as well. It would be a plus if it was a universal tool so I could use it on more than just my 92s.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Does the front sight on your 92 even come off? Look at it closly to see if it has a dovetail. Most do not, I am fairly certain that the 92 is not removable, the Elite II are removable (*again from memory). Usually the slide will say "vertec" if it is removable, otherwise, you have 2 options.

First, is there use to be a company, whos name is escaping me right now, but they will drill the existing sight to add a tritium tube. The other option is to send the slide off to a gun smith to get the front sight cut off, then the slide dovetailed. Then refinish as required, then install your sight. But either way you are sending the gun off, since most hobbyist can not do either mod.

This is one of my Berettas, as you see it has a vertec slide on an elite III frame, picked this up a year or two ago when tanner guns had a run made for some employees, 2 of the 50 went up for sale. I scored one, even at a great price. But you can see the "vertec slide" on a non vertec frame. Due tot he vertec slide, the front sight was already dovetailed.

Also Beretta sights are a PITA to remove. Just giving a you a forewarning. Best of luck with your adventure.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 92/96A1 and the Elite I and IIs have a front dovetail sights. I need the tool for my 92A1 and Elite I. I already have sights for them with the front being tritium so I was hoping not to have to use a hammer and punch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts