Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at getting a STI Trojan 1911 9mm 5.0. I've read and read about the gun. Nothing but great things about the Trojan. Wondering if any of you guys have one? And what you think?

Thinking of Dawson Precision putting a FO front site and mag well on it. Order some of the base pads for mags. Not sure if I want hard chrome or keep it black.

Probably order the Trojan after harvest season. Shoot it over the winter and get familiar with it.

Anyway just curious to what you think?

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
No Trojan but do have Spartans in 9mm and .45. Awesome weapons. No issues and right on the money accurate with factory ammo or my reloads. Add a Dawson front fiber optic and you are good to go.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've read how Spartan is a great gun. About the only complaint I've read is how its not a true American gun. But hey my xdm isn't and its my baby with no problems.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
True the Spartan is kinda a half breed. I don't care where a gun is made as long as it functions as expected. Assuming the USA made Trojan is $350 better than the Spartan; it should be an awesome gun indeed. Sure the OP will not be disappointed with it at all.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was going to go with the Spartan. Then decided to hold off and upgrade my xdm. But USPSA is almost over for the year where I live so decided to not upgrade the xdm. I've been reading a lot and have decided to go with the Trojan after harvest season this fall since I won't be able to shoot it that much being busy on the farm. I've posted on other gun forums but this one is like home and I thank you for the replies.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Love mine!! One of the best 1911's I own. If your worried about the finish coming off I would get it hard chromed. As for magwell I would get a Techwear SP magwell. and Dawson 10 round mags.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I almost bought an STI before buying my Dan Wesson.
I'll be getting an STI one of these days..

Who wouldn't want a 1911 with the state of Texas on the slide...:confused:

DO IT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Love mine!! One of the best 1911's I own. If your worried about the finish coming off I would get it hard chromed. As for magwell I would get a Techwear SP magwell. and Dawson 10 round mags.

YES! I've watched your videos a few times. VZ diamond back grips, extended mag release, FO front site and springs right? I love the look of your gun.

Yes at first I was worried about the finish wearing off. I'm a little OCD. But I'm a black kind of guy when it comes to my guns and electronics. Plus like you said, its going to happen since its a competition gun. Just didn't think it would happen so quickly. Between your first video and second was 6 months and 2,000 rounds.

@1lowlife: I really liked your subcompact 1911 you traded in. All the modifications to it were great. I think it was EMP? Then traded for a Kimber? Or the other way around?

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I have always wanted a stainless Trojan 5.0.

...maybe someday.

(...and hell yeah...one big reason is that it has a state of TX right on the slide and it is made here! LOL)

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Must be a pretty good pistol. A gunsmith told me to get one when I was thinking about another 1911 (that I eventually did get).

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I will tell you this about STI pistols.

Even here in the largest city in TX...not one gun store STOCKS these pistols.

Oh, they can order you anything on their site, but nobody has one to examine and definitely not to test-shoot.

Isn't that odd? This is where the damn things are made...but nobody stocks them or has them to test. The 1911 is wildly popular in this state and I don't know anyone that owns an STI 1911. Most that I know shoot Colts, Kimbers or Springfields.

Their public relations needs some serious help. These might be great guns but sorry...if you want me to part with 1000-200 bucks you better allow me to at least examine and field strip the silly thing.

That is the really one big reason why I still don't own one. I love my state and would love to have guns made here but STI (along with High Standard....but that's another thread) are two TX makers of which I see almost nobody owning or shooting their guns.

If they treat potential customers this "well" imagine what happens if you buy it and something is wrong with the expensive beast.

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Brickboy I guess you aren't hanging with the right crowd. At every USPSA match I attend there are tons of STI's; mostly .40's. Very popular gun in IDPA as well as evidenced by the number of STI's shooting CDP at the recent State IDPA match in Hempstead. Go to a Houston match and make some new friends; most guys I've met at matches love to show you their guns and a lot will let you shoot them as well.

From my own experience if there is a problem all it takes is a phone call and if they can't help you over the phone they'll pay shipping both ways to get the gun running as expected. Their CS is on par with Springfield. True it is a little disconcerting to have to buy a gun without fondling it but if you want one just order it and shoot the snot out of it; I seriously doubt you would be disappointed. It probably is hard to put your hand on one unless you visit Dawson or Brazos but you can order one from Oakhill Enterprises and get free shipping, no CC fee, and no tax.

·
Registered
214 Posts
STI makes a solid 1911. I've shot a number of Trojans and they are good guns. My only gripe is that the finish sucks (at least it does on my STI Duty One). I'd go for the hard-chrome option if available. Friend of mine has a hard-chromed Trojan and it's super nice.

·
Premium Member
14,544 Posts
I picked up a used Trojan in .45, my 1st 1911, about a month ago. Very solid pistol. Put a couple hundred rounds through and love it.
This was what it looked like when purchased:

Then I gave it to a local guy, Arizona Expert Arms, about 10 days ago for a new finish. Got it back today.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
She is a beauty MrE.

I'm no longer thinking about a STI. I'm getting a STI. Going to pay my bills early for next month. Then order it probably mid October. I would order from Oakhill Enterprises but I want some extras added to the gun. Magwell and FO front site.

Thanks for all the great advice gents.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts