Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before the stupid question let me just say its been awhile since i owned aand shot a .45acp and in the past they were all 1911's i have had the compact for a couple of months now and really like this gun. Now for the stupid question when you guys say you carry at 5 or 6 or 4:30 position can someone explain this and also who makes a good sturdy belt for concealed carry

·
Registered
64 Posts
5:00, 6:00, 4:30 corresponds to the position your gun is on your body. It's not completely clear to me but I think they refer to positions in front or behind the hip.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Any good quality belt will do. That being said I bought mine at Dillon's when I went to Phoenix on a trip.

12:00 is your belly button, 3:00 is your right hip, 6:00 your backside, 9:00 your left hip.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I'm sorry, but I'm just getting a kick out of azguns only wanting to talk about the wang...

He is maybe our resident wang expert.;)

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Think about it as if you were holding a clock that is facing you in front of your waist. I carry at about 1 o'clock. There really is no standard, just carry in whichever position feels most comfortable.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
It refers to positions of an analog clock face with your front being 12'oclock.

So, rotating around your waist clockwise, your right hip is 3:00, your back is 6:00, your left hip is 9:00.

Be careful ordering a gun belt on the internet, I bought a terrific looking gun belt for 'dressy wear' and it was nearly 1/3 of an inch thick and very, very stiff.

So, I'm waiting to see one in person I like.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Get a Wilderness Products Instructor belt. The 5 stitch is great. I have 4 of them and that is all I wear. When I had my CCW in Colorado, I carried on the Wilderness belt.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
Get a Wilderness Products Instructor belt. The 5 stitch is great. I have 4 of them and that is all I wear. When I had my CCW in Colorado, I carried on the Wilderness belt.
+1. I have one for IWB carry and one for when I'm not carrying, although that one is getting a tad small. My IWB belt is the 1 1/2" width with the 5 stitch and the other 1 3/4" width. I would recommend the 1 1/2" width as there's not much difference and the extra 1/4" may not work with all holsters. I know the CB SuperTuck kind of works on my 1 3/4" belt, but much easier on the 1 1/2". Also, finding cell phone clips and the like are a PITA with the 1 3/4".

Here's the site:
Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC | Home of the Titanium Instructor Belt

Here's the belt:
Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Here's my thing with all of these gun belts.
I have looked at some in person and they are thick.
The thinnest ones are 1/4" thick.
To ME, they aren't suited for use with dress clothes.

So, I still use regular dress belts which are only 1" wide and barely 1/8" thick and no, they don't support the holster very well.

Solution? Move to NJ and stop carrying!

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Here's my thing with all of these gun belts.
I have looked at some in person and they are thick.
The thinnest ones are 1/4" thick.
To ME, they aren't suited for use with dress clothes.

So, I still use regular dress belts which are only 1" wide and barely 1/8" thick and no, they don't support the holster very well.

Solution? Move to NJ and stop carrying!
Have you looked or even held or tried on a Wilderness belt? They are thinner than 1/4". I would have no hesitation about wearing one with dress clothes. And besides, unless you are one those unfortunate poeple that have to wear monkey suits to work, then who cares. But then I am not a cothes horse either. Blue jeans and t- shirts are my uniform.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I carry at 4:17:35 myself! :p

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I carry 3:30ish using a 1.5" belt. Not a gunbelt, but a heavy carhartt or cabelas belt.

Oh, and watch your 6. ;-)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I OC at 3:00 and CC at 5:30. Picked up the sturdiest leather belt at TJ Maxx (Marshall's, Ross, etc.) for $15 and it has served me very well for 18 months -- got a lot of life left in it.

OF course now that I wear a Utilikilt everyday, I CC my XD 45 (service grip) in my right side cargo pocket (still OC the same). The kilt holds the weight so comfortably! I use a very sturdy 2" nylon belt stripped from an old tac vest.

I only own two pairs of pants now -- one pair of jeans that haven't been worn in months, and my suit pants. Gotta love that freedom!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts